Pitching wedge lofts

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
From 50 yard im hitting a pitch, which wedge, either with a 52 or 60 depending on trajectory I want. From 75 yards Im hitting a knock down 60 degree (but Id much rather have 95 than 75 yards! and if I cant reach will often lay further back). Not perfect but know what my strengths and weaknesses are and try to play to them.

Just dont see why Id want to carry less wedges and increase the gaps at this end of the bag to give me more long game options to hit into the rough :D

I was just thinking about what you said and saw the gap from 95 down.

I'm sort of the same in that i prefer a full shot if preferable. My set up is 3 wedges, PW 46 deg (120-130) GW 50 (110- 100) and SW 56 deg (75-95). I hate having to hit a 50-60 yarder all carry;). not that i can't hit the shot i just don't like it

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I was just thinking about what you said and saw the gap from 95 down.

I'm sort of the same in that i prefer a full shot if preferable. My set up is 3 wedges, PW 46 deg (120-130) GW 50 (110- 100) and SW 56 deg (75-95). I hate having to hit a 50-60 yarder all carry;). not that i can't hit the shot i just don't like it

Thing is, I cant change the 95 yard number really, thats how far a smooth lob wedge goes, I can control the size of the gaps from there to 150 and like to keep them as small as possible so I dont have to manipulate the yardage too much.

think we may be quite similar from 50-100 yds lol :)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Thing is, I cant change the 95 yard number really, thats how far a smooth lob wedge goes, I can control the size of the gaps from there to 150 and like to keep them as small as possible so I dont have to manipulate the yardage too much.

think we may be quite similar from 50-100 yds lol :)

And the biT about hitting it in the rough as well;)

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Heading down to AG tomorrow to test out the 716 Ap1s again.. hit them today down direct golf and jesus are they nice

they offered me £225 for my ping g15s which is just outstanding.

Looks like ill be getting new irons and then addressing that gap when I can lol.. but then I played for this long without a gap wedge and managed.. ill work out something.. half swing pitching wedge maybe

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Heading down to AG tomorrow to test out the 716 Ap1s again.. hit them today down direct golf and jesus are they nice

they offered me £225 for my ping g15s which is just outstanding.

Looks like ill be getting new irons and then addressing that gap when I can lol.. but then I played for this long without a gap wedge and managed.. ill work out something.. half swing pitching wedge maybe

I still can't really understand why a modern PW has to have almost the same spec as an old-time 8-iron, unless it's for willy waving about how far you can hit a PW! Makes it far less useful for shots within 90 yards of the green. :rolleyes:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I still can't really understand why a modern PW has to have almost the same spec as an old-time 8-iron, unless it's for willy waving about how far you can hit a PW! Makes it far less useful for shots within 90 yards of the green. :rolleyes:

i fully agree with you. It's A bit pointless.. I'm consdiering a 47 degree wedge to bridge the gaps between 43 and 50 lol meaning 5 wedges however when you really think about it really that pitch is a 9, the gap would be a pitch and so on

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site

This is something I've never understood.

Why would anyone willy wave about how far they hit a PW?

Why not a 5 iron? Or and 8 iron?

Why is it always the pitching wedge?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

So how do you explain the modern sets that have 46/47 degree PWs?

D

Deleted member 16999

What if you've only recently started playing golf and know no difference and you learn to use it within 90 yards?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
They are generally bladed irons aimed at better players who can hit the ball vast distances anyway and prefer to go for more control on their shorter shots. :)

The PW in my Cleveland 588CB irons is 47°.

It's not bladed, it's a cavity back.

I have no issue hitting this club 120 yards, 90 yards out 60 yards depending how much I want the ball to roll when it lands.

I can even chip well with it too :)

I call BS on the quote.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
They are generally bladed irons aimed at better players who can hit the ball vast distances anyway and prefer to go for more control on their shorter shots. :)

So, not being one of those better players who hit the ball a vast distance, don't you benefit from stronger lofts...?

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
So, not being one of those better players who hit the ball a vast distance, don't you benefit from stronger lofts...?

Not really. I still have an old set of Titleist irons dating back to the 1980's which I have kept for sentimental reasons (they were a present from my dear late wife). I bought them out for an airing last year and scored just as well with them as I do with my current set. It was just that I had to use a 6-iron instead of an 8-iron, etc, because their lofts were much weaker. They had only a 4 degree gap between the short irons, which actually improved my distance control. I have considered re-gripping them and using them all the time.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
The PW in my Cleveland 588CB irons is 47°.

It's not bladed, it's a cavity back.

I have no issue hitting this club 120 yards, 90 yards out 60 yards depending how much I want the ball to roll when it lands.

I can even chip well with it too :)

I call BS on the quote.

You can do all these things because your PW has a sensible amount of loft. I use a gap wedge or a sand iron for such shots.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
They had only a 4 degree gap between the short irons, which actually improved my distance control. I have considered re-gripping them and using them all the time.

speedblade-spec-data_zpsr2gmvrcu.jpg

:confused:

Not sure I get your point Del. The gaping on your current short irons is only around 5°!

Are you seriously telling me 1° makes that much of a difference to you?

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
speedblade-spec-data_zpsr2gmvrcu.jpg

:confused:

Not sure I get your point Del. The gaping on your current short irons is only around 5°!

Are you seriously telling me 1° makes that much of a difference to you?

5.5 degrees between the PW and 9-iron! My old Titleists are PW 48, 9-iron 44, 8-iron, 40, 7-iron 36, 6-iron 32, etc, etc,

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
5.5 degrees between the PW and 9-iron! My old Titleists are PW 48, 9-iron 44, 8-iron, 40, 7-iron 36, 6-iron 32, etc, etc,

All I can say Del is your swing must be very finely tuned if you can notice a difference of 1.5° loft between iron set short irons.

I look forward to seeing you on the senior tour soon :tbup: