Paul Casey's Eligibility for the Ryder Cup

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
As Paul Caey has decided not to join the European Tour does that mean he can't be a captain's pick for the Ryder Cup?

Last edited by a moderator:

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Re: Paul Casey's Eligability for the Ryder Cup

yes it does. Despite what plenty think, personally think its a big shame and he'd be a decent asset to the team.

D

Deleted member 16999

No matter what the sport, I'm firmly of the opinion a manager should be able to pick anyone he deems good enough.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I agree but it was his choice, unfortunately.

But only because of the rules imposed by the powers that be.

I think it's a shame that they are in a position that requires them to bully players into being part of the European tour. Surely there must be something that can be done to make it more worthwhile in itself?

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

But only because of the rules imposed by the powers that be.

I think it's a shame that they are in a position that requires them to bully players into being part of the European tour. Surely there must be something that can be done to make it more worthwhile in itself?

If they didnt have that then you could say goodbye to the top Europeans playing the European tours top events.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site

Surely there must be something that can be done to make it more worthwhile in itself?

I think they changed the rules to make it pretty easy for anyone who actually wanted to play the minimum number of tournaments.

Truth is the ET can't compete with the PGA tour on a purely financial basis. What sort of thing do you think could be done?

It would really put the cat amongst the pigeons if the PGA tour insisted that members did not also join any other tour... Might not stand up in court though...

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

I think they changed the rules to make it pretty easy for anyone who actually wanted to play the minimum number of tournaments.

Truth is the ET can't compete with the PGA tour on a purely financial basis. What sort of thing do you think could be done?

It would really put the cat amongst the pigeons if the PGA tour insisted that members did not also join any other tour... Might not stand up in court though...

that was the press release, actually they made it no easier at all for someone in the top 50 in the world and if anything actually made it harder

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Interesting. How so?

They reduced the amount of tournaments you had to play to qualify (think its now 5), but then removed I think it was majors and the world golf championships from the qualifying tournaments (which obviously someone like casey would automatically play) (think they reduced it from 12 to 5 but removed 8 tournaments but not certain on the numbers)

Jates12

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Was good to see Paul playing some good golf again at the masters, always been a fan of him. Real shame he wont be at the Ryder cup again!

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site

They reduced the amount of tournaments you had to play to qualify (think its now 5), but then removed I think it was majors and the world golf championships from the qualifying tournaments (which obviously someone like casey would automatically play) (think they reduced it from 12 to 5 but removed 8 tournaments but not certain on the numbers)

Oh. Didn't realise they'd removed the majors and wgcs.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

If they didnt have that then you could say goodbye to the top Europeans playing the European tours top events.

That's my point really, how can the the European Tour be made more attractive, without the need for bribery. There must be something that could be done.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

So why is it that Casey doesn't choose to play in the European Tour?

because he lives in Florida, plays on the US tour where there is far more prize money available and arguably better courses against better players in better conditions

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site

So why is it that Casey doesn't choose to play in the European Tour?

The cynic in me says because he is greedy;)

I personally think players should play more tournaments, fans want to see the best players playing all the time not just once a month. There is more than enough money in world golf, just needs spreading around a bit better so players will support the 'lesser' tournaments

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

because he lives in Florida, plays on the US tour where there is far more prize money available and arguably better courses against better players in better conditions

It's a vicious circle; if the best players don't play, the sponsors don't come, and then the prize fund is smaller, and the best players won't come....and on and on....

Although I've posed the question above as to what could be done, I can't think of an answer...

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site

That's his call then, no one can grumble when he doesn't get selected as he's chosen his own path to go down.
I'm sure if the Ryder Cup meant that much to him he could reschedule and play in the required tournaments.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site

No doubting his ability and his confidence. He just seems a little smug for my liking.

Anyhow, come June 23rd, if the UK votes to leave Europe will any Englishman, Welshman, Scotsman or Norn Irishman be eligible to play ? ;)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

I agree with the Tour. They have to defend themselves somehow and if a golfer really wants to play in The Ryder Cup then they will work out the schedule somehow. The rules are clear, it is up to the players at that point. (I think Beezerk and I were typing at the same time, making the same point)