Paul Casey's Eligibility for the Ryder Cup

D

Deleted member 18588

Re: Paul Casey's Eligability for the Ryder Cup

He spat the dummy in 2010 when Monty didn't give him a wild card. Don't think he'll ever come round and play as a ET member again. Bit petulant when you think that he was more than happy to play here when his USTour priveledges were lost. He won the Irish Open with some stunning golf, but, was back over the pond as soon as his ranking allowed.

He's only in it for Paul Casey imo.

Obviously he is in it for himself.

Why shouldn't he be?

He is a professional golfer, that is what he does for a living so he will choose the route that is best for himself and his family.

D

Deleted member 15344

Casey has decided where he wants to playing knowing it would exclude him from Ryder Cup selection. Ergo he doesn't want to play in the Ryder Cup. For me, if someone isn't committed to playing I wouldn't want him anyway.

Sums it up for me

Casey is a good player but has no loyalty to a tour that bailed him out when he lost his PGA Tour card - it was no surprise after winning on the ET he managed to get an invite back to play in a PGA event which then he won and gained his card back again - at the drop of the hat he binned his ET membership.

He only has to play 5 events to qualify - plenty in Dubai to pick from plus the PGA but he made his descision and think the European Team will be fine without him

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

They reduced the amount of tournaments you had to play to qualify (think its now 5), but then removed I think it was majors and the world golf championships from the qualifying tournaments (which obviously someone like casey would automatically play) (think they reduced it from 12 to 5 but removed 8 tournaments but not certain on the numbers)

I believe the previous minimum to play was 13 including the majors and wgc's, but now it is 5 excluding the majors and wgc's, so basically anyone inside of the top 50 is in the same position as they were last year. But for others like lingmirth, Knox, and laird to name a few, it's easier for them to try and get on the Ryder cup team.

D

Deleted member 16999

But financial reasons are golfing reasons. Without money there'd be no golf

So it's unfair for people to have a dig at him when he's put his financial reasons first.

Would the ET keep this policy if it meant losing 5 or 6 of a possible team, when it's one player it's easy.

D

Deleted member 15344

So it's unfair for people to have a dig at him when he's put his financial reasons first.

Would the ET keep this policy if it meant losing 5 or 6 of a possible team, when it's one player it's easy.

The ET has to protect itself - if you want to play on the RC team then support the organisation that administers the RC.

D

Deleted member 16999

The ET has to protect itself - if you want to play on the RC team then support the organisation that administers the RC.
I get the policy Phil, but like I said before, I don't understand any sporting body putting restrictions on qualifying criteria.

D

Deleted member 15344

I get the policy Phil, but like I said before, I don't understand any sporting body putting restrictions on qualifying criteria.

I can fully understand it and believe it to be spot on

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

I'm not having a dig at him. I'd like him on the team. Just making the point that it's about money. If the tour doesn't get the best players, they don't get the sponsors.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

He spat the dummy in 2010 when Monty didn't give him a wild card. Don't think he'll ever come round and play as a ET member again. Bit petulant when you think that he was more than happy to play here when his USTour priveledges were lost. He won the Irish Open with some stunning golf, but, was back over the pond as soon as his ranking allowed.

He's only in it for Paul Casey imo.

I remember that and as such I can't see him ever putting himself into the position of getting picked. He'll never play in enough events and while he's a man playing well, I think the stability of the team (not something he's renowned for) and those eligible to play will be strong enough

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site

I can fully understand it and believe it to be spot on

I agree, the Ryder cup is the only 'carrot' the ET has for the top players now.

If it didn't have that restriction, you can almost guarantee you would not see Rose, Rory, Garcia, Poulter & others in any events. There's talk of Rory already skipping the BMW.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

But only because of the rules imposed by the powers that be.

I think it's a shame that they are in a position that requires them to bully players into being part of the European tour. Surely there must be something that can be done to make it more worthwhile in itself?

More money perhaps!

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site

He spat the dummy in 2010 when Monty didn't give him a wild card.

I don't think that's right at all.

I saw the interview with Monty - and Casey at the time.

Monty said something along the lines of:"Paul hasn't played in enough tournaments to warrant a pick because of his recent injuries, and I've spoken with him on the phone about it and we're fine".

Casey said something along the lines of: " Having the recent injuries has meant I haven't played enough this year to get a pick, so I can understand Monty's reasons for not picking me and have spoken with him."

As I say the above is not word for word but I didn't see it as him spitting his dummy out of the pram - far from it.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

I don't think that's right at all.

I saw the interview with Monty - and Casey at the time.

Monty said something along the lines of:"Paul hasn't played in enough tournaments to warrant a pick because of his recent injuries, and I've spoken with him on the phone about it and we're fine".

Casey said something along the lines of: " Having the recent injuries has meant I haven't played enough this year to get a pick, so I can understand Monty's reasons for not picking me and have spoken with him."

As I say the above is not word for word but I didn't see it as him spitting his dummy out of the pram - far from it.

That sounds very much contrived media speak.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

I've no issues with Casey making a base in the US for his wife and family and playing the majority of the time in the US to minimise travelling (although still horrendous). He's well aware of the RC qualifying criteria and if he takes himself out of the process I don't think the rules need to be changed at the 11th hour to accommodate him if he's a form player

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

I'm sure he could join later in the year if he wants to. Patrick Reed did last you to play In the Race To Dubai.

D

Deleted member 15344

I'm sure he could join later in the year if he wants to. Patrick Reed did last you to play In the Race To Dubai.

Believe the eligibility to be able to play on the RC has passed - think you needed to be a member by the time th first qualifying tournament starts