Paul Casey's Eligibility for the Ryder Cup

WillC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Re: Paul Casey's Eligability for the Ryder Cup

No doubting his ability and his confidence. He just seems a little smug for my liking.

Anyhow, come June 23rd, if the UK votes to leave Europe will any Englishman, Welshman, Scotsman or Norn Irishman be eligible to play ? ;)

I had someone ask me this exact thing, I thought he was silly for asking....but now I am doubting myself?!

We would not be in the EU, but still in Europe, is what I told him. For example, a Swiss golfer could play in the Ryder Cup?

RE: Casey, I like him a lot, and he would be a good asset to the team. However, I do think he could have played the required tournaments had he REALLY wanted to, regardless of whether the European Tour have made it easier or not.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

No doubting his ability and his confidence. He just seems a little smug for my liking.

Anyhow, come June 23rd, if the UK votes to leave Europe will any Englishman, Welshman, Scotsman or Norn Irishman be eligible to play ? ;)

Europe is still Europe, we don't lift our anchor and drift away from it ;)

jp5

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

Seems a bit desperate from the ET to enforce this rule.

Surely you'd want your RC players experienced at the best level, which is the PGA tour.

Couldn't imagine a restriction on national football teams having to select from just those playing in the national league.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site

Europe is still Europe, we don't lift our anchor and drift away from it ;)[/QUO

Of course.....doh !!! Funny how I automatically just thought of Europe as the EU.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site

Seems a bit desperate from the ET to enforce this rule.

Surely you'd want your RC players experienced at the best level, which is the PGA tour.

Couldn't imagine a restriction on national football teams having to select from just those playing in the national league.

Happens in rugby from time to time though, I believe.

It's a tough one for the ET. Need incentives to get the top Europeans to play ET events and the Ryder cup is one.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

Many rugby union countries have this type of stipulation. New Zealand and England for definite and I think Wales may do as well.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

It's not bribery its no different to having a qualifying criteria for majors/wgc's etc.

I don't think those are equivalent.

The qualifying criteria for FedEx cup, WGCs, Majors etc requires a certain world ranking, or certain number of points, but either way, it's based on performance.

The criteria for Ryder Cup selection is playing in an arbitrary number of European Tour events regardless of performance in those events. Separately, the players with the most ranking points are selected, but those ranking points are nothing to do with the abitrary competitions players are forced to enter.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de

Don't worry ... as long as countries like Israel and Armenia are allowed to compete in the Eurovision Song Contest, I am pretty sure we can live with Brits in the RyderCup, EU or not :rofl:

U

User62651

Casey's played in it before, he's 38 with kids now and doesn't want to do the crazy travelling, can't blame him at all for that. If ET need to apply strict rules for RC eligibility as the only way of keeping European players playing in enough European Tour events then that's up to them but ultimately it could weaken their team, so backfire if others follow suit.
If I was Casey I wouldn't give an arse, he's done his bit for RC which is vastly overrated exhibition match anyway that has outgrown itself, excludes far too many players from other countries and is played too frequently...imo. Since when has Europe been united in anything?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 18588

If European Tour membership was not a condition what qualification would Paul Casey have for inclusion within the team.

Lives in America
Plays in America
Went to college in America
Played the majority of his amateur golf in America

Hardly European is he? And I would like to see him playing but at the moment it would seem that, apart from birth, he is more "one of them" rather than "one of us".

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

Casey has decided where he wants to playing knowing it would exclude him from Ryder Cup selection. Ergo he doesn't want to play in the Ryder Cup. For me, if someone isn't committed to playing I wouldn't want him anyway.

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site

If European Tour membership was not a condition what qualification would Paul Casey have for inclusion within the team.

Lives in America Florida ,great weather ,better than here
Plays in America more money to be won ,and he lives there
Went to college in America on a golf scholarship as he was good enough to do so
Played the majority of his amateur golf in America because he was based there when he was at college
Hardly European is he? And I would like to see him playing but at the moment it would seem that, apart from birth, he is more "one of them" rather than "one of us".

fixed that for you.
now put yourself in his shoes ,:thup:

mcbroon

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

The guy can do what he wants. He has obviously decided that the Ryder Cup is less important to him than whatever other priorities he has, so who can argue? It's not like he was unaware of the consequences when he made his decision. You have to respect his choice.

It would be great if he played because he is a very good player but it's not going to happen.

DCB

Visit site

He spat the dummy in 2010 when Monty didn't give him a wild card. Don't think he'll ever come round and play as a ET member again. Bit petulant when you think that he was more than happy to play here when his USTour priveledges were lost. He won the Irish Open with some stunning golf, but, was back over the pond as soon as his ranking allowed.

He's only in it for Paul Casey imo.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site

I would love Paul Casey to play in the Ryder Cup.

However I will hold back any opinion until I hear from Casey himself.

D

Deleted member 16999

If you're European you should be eligible to play, the ET putting qualifying criteria in is daft, they are doing it for selfish reasons, it's not in the interests of The Ryder Cup.
I understand Casey has made a decision and he takes responsibility for that, just don't believe the ET have done it for no more than financial reasons not golfing ones.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

If you're European you should be eligible to play, the ET putting qualifying criteria in is daft, they are doing it for selfish reasons, it's not in the interests of The Ryder Cup.
I understand Casey has made a decision and he takes responsibility for that, just don't believe the ET have done it for no more than financial reasons not golfing ones.

But financial reasons are golfing reasons. Without money there'd be no golf

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site

Don't worry ... as long as countries like Israel and Armenia are allowed to compete in the Eurovision Song Contest, I am pretty sure we can live with Brits in the RyderCup, EU or not :rofl:

:rofl: