Paul Casey's Eligibility for the Ryder Cup

D

Deleted member 15344

Casey rejoins European Tour and aims to play in 2018 Ryder cup!

Any thoughts - got to be good for the team I'd think?

He will get through into the team from the world points list unless he has a poor year

Will it make a difference ? Or as BBC say “is he the key” - then no for me , Europe has always been about the team and not about the individuals. Still also plenty of talk about his attitude and interactions with fellow players to be a little worried.

I don’t think Europe need Casey - but if he has the same form then I’m sure he could be an asset but I don’t see Europe’s chances resting on his inclusion and believe we can win without him if he didn’t qualify.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Always good to have the best players available in the team and Casey is certainly amongst the best Europeans at present, deffo an asset to the team if he makes it.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
He will get through into the team from the world points list unless he has a poor year

Will it make a difference ? Or as BBC say “is he the key” - then no for me , Europe has always been about the team and not about the individuals. Still also plenty of talk about his attitude and interactions with fellow players to be a little worried.

I don’t think Europe need Casey - but if he has the same form then I’m sure he could be an asset but I don’t see Europe’s chances resting on his inclusion and believe we can win without him if he didn’t qualify.

On the flip side, if he does qualify we'll be far better with than without

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think it can only be good news so long as he is prepared to integrate with the rest of the team, likewise they with him.

D

Deleted member 16999

I just hope he qualifies by right and doesn’t need a captains pick, if he does end up playing via a captains pick I’d imagine there’ll be the doubters and those who think he’s only rejoined the European Tour on the back of some done deal.

D

Deleted member 15344

On the flip side, if he does qualify we'll be far better with than without

If he does qualify then as a proven very good matchplay player especially in 4balls he will be an asset to the team - the question will be if he doesn’t qualify would he be worth a captains pick at that time ?

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Would only pick him if his form was good and he was somewhere in the top 20-25 by would have him ahead of the likes of Willet and Wood if they were just in front of him

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I want the strongest side possible and if that includes Casey then so be it. I would like to think that any issues historically can be put the bed on both sides and that he'd start with a clean slate. I think he'll do well on the ET next year

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
If we can convince him that it's only played on Thursday and Fridays I'm all for it.

He is a bit of a kuchar for me. Very good at earning money, but generally fails when it counts.