Patrick Reed

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Would they have banned a "big name"?
I think a Scottish bloke may have got banned for moving his marker about, but beyond that Nothing springs to mind. Which is sort of odd, when you see how rife cheating has been in other sports it's seem odd that we don't hear about it more in golf.
I've seen some blatant stuff in club golf.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Would they have banned a "big name"?
I very much dought it .
The sponsors would not be happy after parting with his appearance money.
It’s strange that you or me would be DQd but a pro not.

The one that has always stuck in my mind was in the masters where Tiger had an air shot on the tee.
“I deliberately missed the ball” because a bird flew past.
Because it’s Tiger everyone went “ok that sounds reasonable”
Can you imagine using that one in your monthly medal,

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
I very much dought it .

The one that has always stuck in my mind was in the masters where Tiger had an air shot on the tee.
Well , I've no problem with tiger doing that as he clearly meant to miss.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I think a Scottish bloke may have got banned for moving his marker about, but beyond that Nothing springs to mind. Which is sort of odd, when you see how rife cheating has been in other sports it's seem odd that we don't hear about it more in golf.
I've seen some blatant stuff in club golf.

One of the Saltman brothers.

Again that one stinks as well. If the playing partners had seen something why not chin him their and then when "both" had observed any wrongdoing informed him and a referee. Why wait till the end of the round???

Swango1980

Visit site
I very much dought it .

Do you think it was possible Tiger accidentally missed the ball? Maybe there'd be a touch more doubt in his excuse if he was playing in your monthly medal off a handicap of 38.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do you think it was possible Tiger accidentally missed the ball? Maybe there'd be a touch more doubt in his excuse if he was playing in your monthly medal off a handicap of 38.
I think the opposite is true .try using that excuse in a medal.
If you stop your swing before the ball no problem.
But going past the ball was a stroke.
Unless you delibaretly didn’t play a stroke at the ball.
IT was a unique set of circumstances that I hadn’t heard of ,but I am very aware that you or me would not be able to do that.
I laughed at the time but shows you just how good the guy is.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
That’s my point we only have his word for that.
But as he is one of the best in the world we belive him.
But not Joe Bloggs in the medal he would be laughed out of the club.
No not at all, watch the tiger vid and he clearly slams on the breaks. If my pp did that I'd have no problems.
However if he did it lots of times I may get suspicious ?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One of the Saltman brothers.

Again that one stinks as well. If the playing partners had seen something why not chin him their and then when "both" had observed any wrongdoing informed him and a referee. Why wait till the end of the round???
CHIN him on the course?
Normally that’s after a couple of pints.;)

Swango1980

Visit site
I think the opposite is true .try using that excuse in a medal.
If you stop your swing before the ball no problem.
But going past the ball was a stroke.
Unless you delibaretly didn’t play a stroke at the ball.
IT was a unique set of circumstances that I hadn’t heard of ,but I am very aware that you or me would not be able to do that.
I laughed at the time but shows you just how good the guy is.
A stroke has not been made by a player if they decide during the downswing not to strike the ball and avoids doing so by deliberately stopping the clubhead before it reaches the ball, or if unable to do so, deliberately misses the ball.

So, if Tiger deliberately missed the ball in the downswing, then there is no issue. The only question is, do you believe he deliberately missed the ball. Given the situation and the player, yes I am very comfortable that this is the truth. However, in another situation with a player of much poorer quality, then yes, it may be more difficult to believe this excuse. All you could hope for is that, they were honest. I have seen players make air shots before, and to be fair to them all, not one has ever tried to say they deliberately missed the ball, so their shot counted. Only on one occasion, a player did not count the stroke, but only because they didn't realise air shots count. I put them right with that when I was marking their card after the hole was complete.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No not at all, watch the tiger vid and he clearly slams on the breaks. If my pp did that I'd have no problems.
However if he did it lots of times I may get suspicious ?
I have seen it numerous times and it’s total control.
But I do wonder what would have happened if the ref had said “pull the other one”
His reputation goes before him.
Or did before his car crash.

Also shows his grasp of the rules , to his advantage.

Swango1980

Visit site
I have seen it numerous times and it’s total control.
But I do wonder what would have happened if the ref had said “pull the other one”
His reputation goes before him.
Or did before his car crash.

Also shows his grasp of the rules , to his advantage.

Your very first statement in that response indicates that you are sure he deliberately missed the ball, so I don't know why you have even brought it up as an issue??? Had the ref said "pull the other one", I suspect the judgement of the referee would be brought into question rather than the actions of Tiger. Also, it's not even a case of using the rules to his advantage. I'm pretty sure, on his downswing, he had no time to think "I'm going to pull out of this shot because the rules will allow me to get away with it". Pure instinct.

I think I heard somewhere before that, when young, his dad would randomly do things to distract him when he was playing a shot. This was how he developed that instinct to stop in the downswing. I'm pretty sure if 99% of golfers tried the same, they'd hit the ball anyway (badly) and probably snap their spine in 2.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
A stroke has not been made by a player if they decide during the downswing not to strike the ball and avoids doing so by deliberately stopping the clubhead before it reaches the ball, or if unable to do so, deliberately misses the ball.

So, if Tiger deliberately missed the ball in the downswing, then there is no issue. The only question is, do you believe he deliberately missed the ball. Given the situation and the player, yes I am very comfortable that this is the truth. However, in another situation with a player of much poorer quality, then yes, it may be more difficult to believe this excuse. All you could hope for is that, they were honest. I have seen players make air shots before, and to be fair to them all, not one has ever tried to say they deliberately missed the ball, so their shot counted. Only on one occasion, a player did not count the stroke, but only because they didn't realise air shots count. I put them right with that when I was marking their card after the hole was complete.

I think that's the whole point. Would you believe a 4 handicap golfer never mind a 24 handicap golfer if they stated they pulled out of the swing after witnessing them have a "fresh air"???

CC98 is 100% spot on they'd be laughed out of town.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Your very first statement in that response indicates that you are sure he deliberately missed the ball, so I don't know why you have even brought it up as an issue??? Had the ref said "pull the other one", I suspect the judgement of the referee would be brought into question rather than the actions of Tiger. Also, it's not even a case of using the rules to his advantage. I'm pretty sure, on his downswing, he had no time to think "I'm going to pull out of this shot because the rules will allow me to get away with it". Pure instinct.

I think I heard somewhere before that, when young, his dad would randomly do things to distract him when he was playing a shot. This was how he developed that instinct to stop in the downswing. I'm pretty sure if 99% of golfers tried the same, they'd hit the ball anyway (badly) and probably snap their spine in 2.
I brought it up to illustrate some pros are believed no matter what.
Others not so.!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Take Mickelson stopping his ball on the green .
Any minor pro would be DQd and on his way home .
But Phil is a big name.
The young Aisian lad done for slow play. I think it was in the Masters???
When so many big names just get away with it.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Take Mickelson stopping his ball on the green .
Any minor pro would be DQd and on his way home .
But Phil is a big name.
The young Aisian lad done for slow play. I think it was in the Masters???
When so many big names just get away with it.
Why would you dq for stopping a ball ? There is a rule to cover it.... I think there is a tendency to get a bit ott with the pros and rules.

Swango1980

Visit site
I brought it up to illustrate some pros are believed no matter what.
Others not so.!
Believed no matter what? But you've already indicated you believe that he deliberately missed the ball. That's isn't "no matter what", that is he had a genuine excuse which was permitted within the rules. So, in that specific scenario, I'm pretty sure that most qualified officials would accept this as a genuine excuse.

If it happened in a club game, then again, it completely depends on the circumstances. The ability of the player. The perceived honesty of the player. The way the shot looked (how much control they had), etc. We don't play under different rules to the pros. If a golfer pulled out of the downswing, no matter the handicap, then with everything considered I may well be as confident that they genuinely pulled out of the shot as Tiger was. But, if there didn't seem to be any distraction to their shot, they seemed to take a full swipe at the ball without any indication that there was anything different to their normal swing and they had a reputation of being a little devious, then yes, I may question their excuse.