Patrick Reed

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Believed no matter what? But you've already indicated you believe that he deliberately missed the ball. That's isn't "no matter what", that is he had a genuine excuse which was permitted within the rules. So, in that specific scenario, I'm pretty sure that most qualified officials would accept this as a genuine excuse.

If it happened in a club game, then again, it completely depends on the circumstances. The ability of the player. The perceived honesty of the player. The way the shot looked (how much control they had), etc. We don't play under different rules to the pros. If a golfer pulled out of the downswing, no matter the handicap, then with everything considered I may well be as confident that they genuinely pulled out of the shot as Tiger was. But, if there didn't seem to be any distraction to their shot, they seemed to take a full swipe at the ball without any indication that there was anything different to their normal swing and they had a reputation of being a little devious, then yes, I may question their excuse.
Who believes him .
I bet there are as many don’t that do.
We know what he is capable of ,but I do remember the commentators disagreeing about it.

Swango1980

Visit site
Take Mickelson stopping his ball on the green .
Any minor pro would be DQd and on his way home .
But Phil is a big name.
The young Aisian lad done for slow play. I think it was in the Masters???
When so many big names just get away with it.
I think this example illustrates your point much better. I can accept that argument, that indeed was a strange case. Although the officials gave him a 2 shot penalty for hitting a moving ball, there did seem to be an option to DQ for willfully deflecting a ball (rule 1-2 at the time). I bet this was covered on this forum at the time, but you could be right in that a less well known player might have received harsher punishment.

Swango1980

Visit site
Who believes him .
I bet there are as many don’t that do.
We know what he is capable of ,but I do remember the commentators disagreeing about it.
I'd like to know, who DOES believe that a golf professional (not even one of, if not the best of all time) accidentally missed the ball during an unimpeded swing? They need their head examined ;)

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Believed no matter what? But you've already indicated you believe that he deliberately missed the ball. That's isn't "no matter what", that is he had a genuine excuse which was permitted within the rules. So, in that specific scenario, I'm pretty sure that most qualified officials would accept this as a genuine excuse.

If it happened in a club game, then again, it completely depends on the circumstances. The ability of the player. The perceived honesty of the player. The way the shot looked (how much control they had), etc. We don't play under different rules to the pros. If a golfer pulled out of the downswing, no matter the handicap, then with everything considered I may well be as confident that they genuinely pulled out of the shot as Tiger was. But, if there didn't seem to be any distraction to their shot, they seemed to take a full swipe at the ball without any indication that there was anything different to their normal swing and they had a reputation of being a little devious, then yes, I may question their excuse.

"Ability" "perceived" "may well" "devious" "question"

????

Nothing like hedging your bets and getting splinters in your backside!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Which wasn't what happened.
He dropped in the wrong place after hitting the flag and going in the water.
He should have dropped as near as possible to his last shot ,but he dropped in the wrong place.
He signed his card and was later given a 2 shot penalty.

If that had been the young Aisian lad who was done for slow play he would probably be going home .

Swango1980

Visit site
"Ability" "perceived" "may well" "devious" "question"

????

Nothing like hedging your bets and getting splinters in your backside!
You can list as many words as you like. I'll sum it up in two. Common Sense. I guess some people are incapable of understanding the concept. You judge everything on it's individual merits. Based on that, you can then make your own interpretation as to the honesty of the player, In Tiger's case, in my mind, there was no doubt he was genuine. And clearly the officials felt the same. That's not to say the same judgement would be given to another player if circumstances where different, but it also doesn't mean that I'd automatically call a higher handicapper a liar either.

Swango1980

Visit site
A bird flies past =fact.
Air shot or deliberate miss open to argument.
Clearly. And I'm very happy with my side of the argument that the player deliberately missed the ball, especially as I'm aware he has the ability to do so and also that, had he not deliberately tried to miss the ball, a bird flying past would hardly end up in him missing it completely, it would more likely end up in him mis-hitting it. I don't feel I'd have much of a leg to stand on if I felt the player was lying and he accidentally missed the ball. But, thankfully it's not up to us to decide.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Bit late to the show on this one, dont know which is worse, cheating or the fact he cheated but says he doesn't know he cheated so it dont count. Either way he is a cheat and ave a feeling its gonna stick.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
One of the Saltman brothers.

Again that one stinks as well. If the playing partners had seen something why not chin him their and then when "both" had observed any wrongdoing informed him and a referee. Why wait till the end of the round???
Did his playing partner not refuse to sign his card ?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
One of the Saltman brothers.

Again that one stinks as well. If the playing partners had seen something why not chin him their and then when "both" had observed any wrongdoing informed him and a referee. Why wait till the end of the round???
Elliot was the one!

Lloyd is one of the nicest (and 'proper') possible golfers anyone could meet. Not sure about Zach, but their father is (was) certainly assertive. I was nearby when he negotiated their Aegon sponsorship.

As for 'waiting till the end of the round'...I'm pretty sure it would have screwed up the rest of the round of guy who observed the cheating more by raising the issue! I've actually been in a similar situation and, likewise, I bottled it for too long!

Tashyboy

Visit site
just outta interest, and i don't know if its been said but he did it twice. is it not a two shot penalty for each occasion.

Swango1980

Visit site
I guess he was deemed to be in breach of only improving his lie once, even though he took two goes at it (i.e. he didn't play the ball in between, so he wasn't improving his lie for two separate shots). After all, if a 4 shot penalty was considered appropriate, then had he only done it once but really taken a huge amount of sand away (more than he did in his 2 efforts) would a lesser 2 shot penalty be appropriate? Probably not. Either way, he has ensured that the camera's will be attracted to him in the future, dying to catch him out.

Tashyboy

Visit site
I guess he was deemed to be in breach of only improving his lie once, even though he took two goes at it (i.e. he didn't play the ball in between, so he wasn't improving his lie for two separate shots). After all, if a 4 shot penalty was considered appropriate, then had he only done it once but really taken a huge amount of sand away (more than he did in his 2 efforts) would a lesser 2 shot penalty be appropriate? Probably not. Either way, he has ensured that the camera's will be attracted to him in the future, dying to catch him out.
leopard and spots and all that(y)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The thing I don’t understand is you are allowed to ground your club in a waste area
so if he took the sand away on his backswing it would not be a penalty as long as he played the shot.
This would have solved his problem.