Patrick Reed

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Can't comment specifically on that, but presumably the referee got involved so it was on his shoulders. If it was very possible he was lying, I'm pretty sure the referee can still make a subjective decision as to whether he gets relief or not (i.e. make judgement like the commentators). I've seen many players before try and get relied (e.g. McIlroy and Kuchar spring to mind), and the referee has not allowed it. So, I wouldn't criticise Reed for this. If he managed to argue his case, and the referee went along with it, that is on the referee's shoulders. After all, all players will try and get a ruling if they think it will work out in their favour.

I suppose, if you have something like a bush or tree that could be very much in play with a reasonably bad shot, when setting up the course, grandstands, scoreboards and TV equipment (towers and cables), it probably needs to be taken into account that this should be placed in positions to minimise the impact on player shots

Yes - I think that's the get out and why it hasn't become a big deal. And certainly broadcasters don't want to lean too heavily on a player as they might be (rightly) criticised for not subjecting everyone to the same scrutiny.

But like I said, the official might ask you 'would you play it from there'. Now if you can get a club on it (even left handed), you can get away with saying yes and an official can't really ask you to show him. But the difference is when you are faced with the option of playing it or taking a penalty drop... are you actually going to take the penalty drop rather than risk trying to address your ball, moving it again, not getting it clear of the bush and leaving yourself in a worse position?

The incident with Rory (at this event last year) was that his ball was next to a cart path. The official had just given DJ a free drop, who'd taken a full stance with a 6 iron to ensure one foot was on the path. Gets 2 club lengths relief and can come out from behind a tree. Next hole Rory is in a similar spot, but is about 9 inches shorter than DJ and the official said he wasn't close enough to the path. Rory ended up playing it left handed onto the wrong fairway. Almost certain that if DJ took the shot that was available to him... i.e. a chip out with a wedge, he'd have been nowhere near the cart path.

Kuchar was at it with the 'ball made a 2nd divot' story.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
I'm no expert on rules and so a which comes first scenario seems to be the case here with the bush and the aerial.
1. You could say that if the bush had not been there, would you have played the shot or claimed relief? ( no penalty) - Reeds scenario
2. You could say that if the aerial had not been there, would you have played the shot or claimed relief?( penalty for unplayable lie).

Many are happy with the fact that because the aerial was there , he was lucky in that he could go the 1 option.
Some think it was still a 2 option.

Personally I think 1. is possible and it was his lucky day. I wouldn't say he cheated.
I don't know, but did he get a ruling from an official prior to taking relief?
I would have expected a player to do so.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is why even with the most basic of rules questions that the player gets the ref to make the call.
The player can’t be penalised then as the ref made the ruling.
Reed is the pantomime villain ( Ryder cup) etc ,but you have to say he is a good player.
But he got away with one on the 72 nd hole ,what a really bad tee shot.

Wolf

Visit site
Great win for Reed, Great player who doesn't let the outside issues cloud his playing. Absolutely nothing wrong with getting the drop yesterday, so many players do similar and get nobody moaning about it but because its Reed people want to find fault.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I think it really shows the character and true determination of the guy. As I read elsewhere the week that Reed has had running up to this tournament would have broken most and ended careers.

Patrick was incredible in the face of such adversary. Love him or hate him I personally believe he deserves huge credit and maybe Radar should have behaved in such a way.