Patrick Reed

Swango1980

Visit site
I'm with you. a) Can't believe the other poster has NEVER broken a rule and knew all of them and how to apply them from the moment he stepped onto a course and yes I agree that the majority on here whether they own up or not online haven't replaced the ball perfectly 100% of the time
That's irrelevant. The accusation was that everyone on here has deliberately broken a rule, NOT accidentally broke a rule because they were unaware of it.

RangeMonkey

Visit site
I can settle this I think.

The assertion was that there is not one forum member who has never replaced a ball incorrectly on a green.

Well, here I am.

I am a forum member, and I guarantee that I have never incorrectly replaced a ball on a green.

Because I have never replaced a ball on a green.

So the statement was false.

To be clear, I’ve only played 9 holes in my life, only holed out on 6 of those, and in those six holes, never had need to mark my ball.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm comfortable in saying I play by the rules the best I can to the best of my knowledge of them. I like to think I can replace my ball fairly consistently in front of my marker. I really dont get people who would move it now anyway given you can tap down spike marks anyway and also my view is that if I put a good enough stroke on it, it will go in. I'd rather be comfortable in the knowledge I have played the game as it's supposed to be played, your only cheating yourself if you dont mark your ball correctly or build a stance etc. I've absolutely no time for cheats, I caught one a few years ago and put a letter in against them. Needless to say they were banned from holding a handicap for a year. Good riddance.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think the problem is more a moral one.
But imo a two shot penalty for a professional golfer for this is not enough.
This could stop someone getting in the Ryder cup, The open or any qualifying comp because Reed finished in front of them in that tournament.
But it seems the rules are there to be abused for a two shot penalty.

User20204

Visit site
I'm comfortable in saying I play by the rules the best I can to the best of my knowledge of them. I like to think I can replace my ball fairly consistently in front of my marker. I really dont get people who would move it now anyway given you can tap down spike marks anyway and also my view is that if I put a good enough stroke on it, it will go in. I'd rather be comfortable in the knowledge I have played the game as it's supposed to be played, your only cheating yourself if you dont mark your ball correctly or build a stance etc. I've absolutely no time for cheats, I caught one a few years ago and put a letter in against them. Needless to say they were banned from holding a handicap for a year. Good riddance.

So you have also never improved your lie in heavy rough or even semi rough for that matter, ever, nor have you ever inadvertently touched the sand with your club, ever ?

What's the chances eh ???

I'm sure this comes across as I'm an out and out cheat and do so at every opportunity, I don't really care what everyone thinks, I just know in my length of time playing the game, everyone I've regularly played with, has done so at some stage or other and NOT called themselves out on it, yet everyone on here is the opposite, again, what's the chances.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
That's irrelevant. The accusation was that everyone on here has deliberately broken a rule, NOT accidentally broke a rule because they were unaware of it.
But a broken rule is a broken rule whether by intent or mistake. What's that old saying, ignorance is no defence? Whichever way you break a rule, by definition it is cheating. Are you now saying you've never even broken a rule even in ignorance? Don't believe that for a moment as we all do it as part of our golfing learning process

Swango1980

Visit site
But a broken rule is a broken rule whether by intent or mistake. What's that old saying, ignorance is no defence? Whichever way you break a rule, by definition it is cheating. Are you now saying you've never even broken a rule even in ignorance? Don't believe that for a moment as we all do it as part of our golfing learning process
How can you call a penalty on yourself for a rule you are unaware you have broken???? Think about what you are saying.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Never in my life. I even knocked a leaf of a very bushy tree once in my practice swing on 3rd hole, and gave myself a penalty. Turns out I didn't have to, as there were thousands of leaves and I hadn't improved the path of my swing. But, I called the penalty as I felt that was the correct ruling at the time.
Trying to build a handicap.
Cheating is another word for it. ;)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
In post #104 - you are pretty sure you didn't make a mistake placing ("Define incorrectly replace their ball on the green? I'm pretty sure I haven't") and by post 113 you have definitely always placed it correctly ("I place my ball exactly as I'm supposed to under the rules. I've never placed it anywhere else") so already there is a difference between pretty sure and never have.

Also if you are unaware you have broken a rule does that mean its ok and you shouldn't call a penalty. I am pretty sure there must have been examples even in the pro game when they have done something incorrectly and broken or misinterpreted a rule that has been pulled up later and penalised. If you are playing a monthly medal and you break a rule and you say to your PP "sorry mate, didn't know I couldn't do that" does it make it right? Still have to call penalty. Ignorance is no defence as I've said and so even as a beginner I'll ask again are you sure you never broke the rules

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

Nobody knows all the rules and if I broke one I didn't know I'd be very angry if you called me a cheat. I do however believe that to play competitive golf a player should know most if the most common rules that are broken

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
If you're the only person who's seen this "penalty" bit you don't know that's it a penalty...

How the hell do you call a penalty on yourself?
We play a different game to the Pros
They have cameras and spectators and refs watching..
We have ourselves...

User20204

Visit site
Nobody knows all the rules and if I broke one I didn't know I'd be very angry if you called me a cheat. I do however believe that to play competitive golf a player should know most if the most common rules that are broken

I would suggest that the most common well known rule that is broken, week in, week out is improving your lie, be it on the green, bunker or the rough, yet no one on here but me has done so, what are the chances ?

Swango1980

Visit site
In post #104 - you are pretty sure you didn't make a mistake placing ("Define incorrectly replace their ball on the green? I'm pretty sure I haven't") and by post 113 you have definitely always placed it correctly ("I place my ball exactly as I'm supposed to under the rules. I've never placed it anywhere else") so already there is a difference between pretty sure and never have.

Also if you are unaware you have broken a rule does that mean its ok and you shouldn't call a penalty. I am pretty sure there must have been examples even in the pro game when they have done something incorrectly and broken or misinterpreted a rule that has been pulled up later and penalised. If you are playing a monthly medal and you break a rule and you say to your PP "sorry mate, didn't know I couldn't do that" does it make it right? Still have to call penalty. Ignorance is no defence as I've said and so even as a beginner I'll ask again are you sure you never broke the rules

You cannot call a penalty on yourself if you are unaware, simple. If someone then tells you that you have broken a rule, then at that point you become aware. So, whatever penalty applies should then be implemented. At no point have I ever said that a golfer can say "I didn't know I was breaking a rule, so I shouldn't get a penalty now that I have found out I had broken it"

You have basically agreed a side of an argument, but you've not understood the context of it. The argument was clear, that everyone on this forum DELIBERATELY broke rules from time to time without penalty. I argued that to say I did not believe that to he the case, and I certainly haven't. When I said "I'm pretty sure I haven't", I didn't literally mean that I might have and wasnt sure, I was saying it casually as I thought it was a pretty obvious point to make.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I agree. However there is a world away from a PP suggesting the rule may have been broken, discussing it and referring it to the handicap secretary and getting a penalty or not and calling someone a deliberate cheat. We only learn the rules by making mistakes and getting them pointed out (or doing silly things) and as long as its done properly no-one is trying to use the word cheat.

Swango1980

Visit site
I would suggest that the most common well known rule that is broken, week in, week out is improving your lie, be it on the green, bunker or the rough, yet no one on here but me has done so, what are the chances ?
Had you said "some" golfers deliberately do this, then I sadly couldn't disagree. I've known some golfers to stamp down behind the ball before they play it. Whether they knew or not that they could do this is another matter.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Had you said "some" golfers deliberately do this, then I sadly couldn't disagree. I've known some golfers to stamp down behind the ball before they play it. Whether they knew or not that they could do this is another matter.

Of course some do it and are cheats for that I'm pretty sure the great majority of golfers rarely improve their lie in any situation

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Trying to build a handicap.
Cheating is another word for it. ;)
Leave the cheating side out of it.
We all break rules as we learn the game that’s fine.

But someone doing their job should know what’s right and wrong.
Such a basic rule it just doesn't compute he doesn't know what he’s doing.

Last edited:

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Leave the cheating side out of it.
We all break rules as we learn the game that’s fine.

But someone doing their job should know what’s right and wrong.
Such a basic rule it just doesn't compute he doesn't know what he’s doing.
I was being a bit facetious and pointing out that even incorrectly penalising yourself can give you an advantage elsewhere and some are paranoid enough to call it cheating.