Patrick Reed

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Sadly Paddy will require to get very accustomed to that as this isn't going away anytime soon.

God I hate to think what he's going to be on the receiving end of/subjected to at the Phoenix Waste Management where the clowns that run that Tournament actively encourage loutish behaviour fuelled by copious amounts of alcohol and sun!

He just needs to get his head down for the next couple of seasons and plough on, a couple of Majors will also help his cause.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site

With this having happened, I think it could open the floodgates when he starts playing events in more populated areas.

Could be that there's multiple people shouting it over every shot and he has to learn to deal with that or plummet down the rankings.

It's remarkable the tour have stuck by him so much and haven't really issued any punishment following the bunker incident. Personally think he should have had to miss a few events.

I think the tour are so afraid of taking serious punishment as they don't want to risk a big player getting caught in a similar incident, and suddenly he's missing events that Sponsors are paying millions to get in on.

Would Sentry have been bothered if Reed was banned from this event? Well him being there certainly gave the event (and therefore the sponsor) that bit more coverage than they might have got had he not been there.

But what if it was a more popular guy that that fans and sponsors care more about. They have shown time and time again, they just don't want to set a precedent for banning players. Spieth not playing enough new events in 2018, as one more example when a player escaped punishment.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
With this having happened, I think it could open the floodgates when he starts playing events in more populated areas.

Could be that there's multiple people shouting it over every shot and he has to learn to deal with that or plummet down the rankings.

It's remarkable the tour have stuck by him so much and haven't really issued any punishment following the bunker incident. Personally think he should have had to miss a few events.

I think the tour are so afraid of taking serious punishment as they don't want to risk a big player getting caught in a similar incident, and suddenly he's missing events that Sponsors are paying millions to get in on.

Would Sentry have been bothered if Reed was banned from this event? Well him being there certainly gave the event (and therefore the sponsor) that bit more coverage than they might have got had he not been there.

But what if it was a more popular guy that that fans and sponsors care more about. They have shown time and time again, they just don't want to set a precedent for banning players. Spieth not playing enough new events in 2018, as one more example when a player escaped punishment.

No it's not he got a penalty.

D

Deleted member 15344

Why should be banned ?!

He was penalised for his rule break at the time so why ban him ?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think it comes down to intent.
If he did it deliberately then some sort of ban was deserved.
If he didn’t do it deliberately then a penalty.
depends what camp your in, or your opinion of cheating!

But I just can’t see a world class golfer making a mistake like that, not once but twice .
So I am in the he did it deliberately camp.

But I can’t help thinking if it had been some young rookie (Masters ) he would not have got off so lightly.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
No it's not he got a penalty.
Why should be banned ?!

He was penalised for his rule break at the time so why ban him ?

He got a 2 shot penalty because the tour accepted his explanation that he improved his lie accidentally rather than intentionally.

If you believe that, then I have a bridge to sell you.

Simon Dyson touched the line of his putt and got a 2 month ban, which imo is the kind of thing that should have happened here.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
He got a 2 shot penalty because the tour accepted his explanation that he improved his lie accidentally rather than intentionally.

Simon Dyson touched the line of his putt and got a 2 month ban, which imo is the kind of thing that should have happened here.

The key is "in your opinion".

It's been dealt with. Move on.

Swango1980

Visit site
The key is "in your opinion".

It's been dealt with. Move on.
Being labelled a cheat is the hardest thing to move on from. If people believed he actually did it intentionally, and therefore cheated (which they have reasonable grounds to do so), then they will always label him a cheat. It is not so easy to say "he got a penalty, move on" as if everyone who believes he cheated are now to simply forget it ever happened.

D

Deleted member 15344

Dyson got a “suspended” ban for deliberately improving his lie by patting down a spike mark in front of his ball when he knew that’s not allowed in the rules

Can you prove that Reed did it deliberatly- as you can’t then he was penalised under golf rules and we move on.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Being labelled a cheat is the hardest thing to move on from. If people believed he actually did it intentionally, and therefore cheated (which they have reasonable grounds to do so), then they will always label him a cheat. It is not so easy to say "he got a penalty, move on" as if everyone who believes he cheated are now to simply forget it ever happened.

Feel free to continue to eat yourself up. I'll move on.

Swango1980

Visit site
Feel free to continue to eat yourself up. I'll move on.
I'm not eating myself up at all. I simply continue to have my opinion. But equally, don't continue to eat yourself up because others are not moving on like you hope. Expect the topic to be discussed long into the future on this forum and other media.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Any examples of what happens when a pro admits to cheating as he subsequently felt very guilty about doing so and asks to be forgiven? Whether he was caught doing so or not I'm not sure matters if you admit it - but how was that admission received - how would it be received?

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Reed's going to get the shouts all year, and rightly so. He's a cheat, got away with a far too lenient penalty and was even applauded by the PGA Tour for "being a gentleman", it's embarrassing. He's going to get absolutely nailed in Phoenix, and it's going to be hilarious.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Dyson got a “suspended” ban for deliberately improving his lie by patting down a spike mark in front of his ball when he knew that’s not allowed in the rules

Can you prove that Reed did it deliberatly- as you can’t then he was penalised under golf rules and we move on.

Obviously no one can, but the balance of evidence is that he shouldn't have done it, he knew what he was doing, it's hardly his 1st offence etc.

Also I think back in the day, Reed's peers would have been far quicker to turn on him, and that would have made a difference to how Reed's explanation was taken by the tour. Now, pretty much everyone in the events Reed is playing are multi-millionaires and have financial security. So people aren't sweating the fact he's taking prize money and a spot away from others who would have been a bad season away from selling shoes and jumpers.

If there's a similar incident again (which their probably will be) and suddenly a few big names of the Rory, JT, Koepka variety (all of whom like to have an opinion on things) voice concerns about him being in tournaments, then I could see the tour taking a different view on things.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Any examples of what happens when a pro admits to cheating as he subsequently felt very guilty about doing so and asks to be forgiven? Whether he was caught doing so or not I'm not sure matters if you admit it - but how was that admission received - how would it be received?

Scott Stallings admitted taking a performance enhancing drug, something that was fairly trivial and only became known about because he admitted it after seeing a banned substance list. Something he took for a medical condition, but crucially without prior permission.

Banned for 3 months!

Meanwhile, Reed gets to say his movement of sand was accidental... wins probably close to $1 Million dollars at the Hero and in Hawaii.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Reed's going to get the shouts all year, and rightly so. He's a cheat, got away with a far too lenient penalty and was even applauded by the PGA Tour for "being a gentleman", it's embarrassing. He's going to get absolutely nailed in Phoenix, and it's going to be hilarious.

Hilarious? Going to your work place to be abused is hilarious? I find it very sad.

As for the phoenix that tournament should be banned. It's an embarrassment to golf.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hilarious? Going to your work place to be abused is hilarious? I find it very sad.

As for the phoenix that tournament should be banned. It's an embarrassment to golf.

Hardly comparable to going to work at a normal workplace is it, how often do you have paying spectators watching you work? He's a sportsman, he works in the entertainment business, and he's a cheat and a widely disliked character due to his own actions, he deserves everything he gets. Gets no sympathy from me. I wouldn't pay to go and shout abuse at him personally, but if he cops a ton of abuse at Phoenix then it will be funny, and deserved.

I also disagree RE: Phoenix. Wouldn't like it more than once a year, but I enjoy the spectacle every season, makes the wrap around PGA Tour season much more interesting, and majority of the players seem to enjoy it, otherwise they'd stop going there.