Patrick Reed

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The caddy simply shouldn't have got involved. Yes Reed is a cheat (imo) and yes he was arguably right to stand up for his employer but again imo he crossed a line by grabbing a spectator. How far removed was it from a Cantona like incident

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
The caddy simply shouldn't have got involved. Yes Reed is a cheat (imo) and yes he was arguably right to stand up for his employer but again imo he crossed a line by grabbing a spectator. How far removed was it from a Cantona like incident
Its family tho more than employer . Spectator was spewing profanities was aproaching player brother in.law pushed him and knocked beer outa his hands...

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
For me it’s all about lack of action .
From the tour against Reed .
And security against knobs shouting things at the Players.
And this is exactly my point, what was done when Monty was abused. Nothing. Ryder cup players in America nothing. notice that these Abusers are from over the pond. Yet Reed who is from over the pond gets abuse for cheating. Is that right, No. but what have the authority's done in the past. Nothing.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
And this is exactly my point, what was done when Monty was abused. Nothing. Ryder cup players in America nothing. notice that these Abusers are from over the pond. Yet Reed who is from over the pond gets abuse for cheating. Is that right, No. but what have the authority's done in the past. Nothing.

And what did the European Tour do when the fans at Paris were acting like a bunch of morons, shouting and hollering at the Americans? What did they do when Poulter was acting like a compete tit running around dressed as a postbox winding up the crowds into a frenzy when there were still games out on the course?

While Monty got abused let's not pretend we're squeaky clean and angels. The Ryder Cup atmosphere (IMO) is an utter embarrassment now. Drunken rowdy idiots shouting and chanting is not golf. It certainly shouldn't be encouraged.

D

Deleted member 15344

And this is exactly my point, what was done when Monty was abused. Nothing.

Monty along with Payne Stewart had 4 or 5 spectators thrown out

Ryder cup players in America nothing. notice that these Abusers are from over the pond.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....ming-abuse-at-rory-mcilroy-1.2813713?mode=amp

Rory had fan thrown out as well

Yet Reed who is from over the pond gets abuse for cheating. Is that right, No. but what have the authority's done in the past. Nothing.

Authorities have done a lot over the years to calm it all down especially after 99

Reed was penalised for his rule break - he shouldn’t be open season for people to abuse and the caddy may have overreacted but he was right to confront a fan if they are being abusive

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
It’s in the interpretations of the rules of golf , on the R&A rules of golf website .
I thought they were for everyone.

Well I must be reading it wrong ! It’s quite clear.
You aren't reading it wrong - but you are putting your interpretation of the situation on it.
You have decided that the player deliberately broke the rules (to gain an advantage in the rule you quote).
The committee can see no basis to pursue that line - and quite frankly neither can I. The basis for that rule is that is that the player deliberately takes a penalty in order to gain an advantage - For 1 shot he could have dropped outside the waste area, or with 1 stroke he could have blasted it out, so why deliberately choose a 2 shot penalty? Clearly fails on gaining an advantage.
You are trying to apply an inapplicable rule to the situation.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You aren't reading it wrong - but you are putting your interpretation of the situation on it.
You have decided that the player deliberately broke the rules (to gain an advantage in the rule you quote).
The committee can see no basis to pursue that line - and quite frankly neither can I. The basis for that rule is that is that the player deliberately takes a penalty in order to gain an advantage - For 1 shot he could have dropped outside the waste area, or with 1 stroke he could have blasted it out, so why deliberately choose a 2 shot penalty? Clearly fails on gaining an advantage.
You are trying to apply an inapplicable rule to the situation.
No it’s just cheating.
I was responding to a post that said they didn’t / couldn’t DQ him.

But what I would say with a player of Reeds standard ( or any pro golfer)if you think what he did wasn’t deliberate then I can’t argue my point.
Most ams know you can’t do this.
It was deliberate and he gained an advantage.
If the cameras never caught it ,I dought he would have called it on himself.(twice)

Last edited:

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
No it’s just cheating.
I was responding to a post that said they didn’t / couldn’t DQ him.

But what I would say with a player of Reeds standard ( or any pro golfer)if you think what he did wasn’t deliberate then I can’t argue my point.
Most ams know you can’t do this.
It was deliberate and he gained an advantage.
If the cameras never caught it ,I dought he would have called it on himself.(twice)

Can you improve your lie twice? Or only once?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Can you improve your lie twice? Or only once?
You scrape some sand away you have a new improved lie.
You scrape some more sand away because you never got enough first go so I would say that’s twice.
Not happy with his first attempt so had another go.!

If your missus kicked you in the balls
Then kicked you in the same balls again.
How many times has your missus kicked you in the balls.?

Swango1980

Visit site
You scrape some more sand away because you never got enough first go so I would say that’s twice.

How many times has your missus kicked you in the balls.?[/QUOTE
But what happens if you take a huge amount of sand the first time, meaning you don't have to have a second go? Would you say you've only done it once?

You can't improve your lie for a shot you're about to take. If you do, you get the penalty, it doesn't matter how many goes you have to improve it, the same penalty applies. If the penalties were to add up, for the same shot, the player might as well just go to town in their first effort so it only takes once and a lesser overall penalty.

I think the major question was, did he do it intentionally. If so, that could have been a serious breach worthy of DQ. I'm pretty sure it was deliberate, like many others in here. But, I guess it is a difficult one to prove

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

How many times has your missus kicked you in the balls.?
I'd have passed out after kick one so I couldn't answer that ???