Patrick Reed

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
A professional athlete, therefore its his workplace.

No person should go to their work to be abused. It's extremely sad that people think they can hurl whatever insults they like from the "safety" of a packed crowd.

As for Phoenix, it's a cringe worthy embarrassment to golf. Drunken louts shouting and chanting and whooping is not golf. There is no place for it in a professional tournament. Of course that is just my personal opinion and you are welcome to yours.

??️

Swango1980

Visit site
Hilarious? Going to your work place to be abused is hilarious? I find it very sad.

As for the phoenix that tournament should be banned. It's an embarrassment to golf.
Well, maybe the authorities should ban all spectators from all sporting events, just in case there might be a bit of heckling? Working in the entertainment industry cannot be compared to, say, working in an office.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Did anyone see his shenanigans in the rough at Hawaii over the weekend? Again it just didn't sit right. He just happened to spot his ball move deep in the rough after someone moved it while searching. Marked it, replaced and got himself a much improved lie.
All within the rules I guess but how could he have seen his ball move when it was so embedded in the rough as he said it was. The TV footage cut away at the time and all we saw was his lifting his ball out of the rough and then replacing it.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Scott Stallings admitted taking a performance enhancing drug, something that was fairly trivial and only became known about because he admitted it after seeing a banned substance list. Something he took for a medical condition, but crucially without prior permission.

Banned for 3 months!

Meanwhile, Reed gets to say his movement of sand was accidental... wins probably close to $1 Million dollars at the Hero and in Hawaii.

Hmmm. I'm just wondering whether or not Reed might - even now - be better off just admitting it (if he did cheat) - take whatever flak and penalty comes his way - but as a starter clears his conscience and asks for forgiveness. In the eyes of some at least admitting the error of your ways is a good start to being forgiven. Because at the moment he is standing there being shot at - and that may continue for quite some long time - and that feels a worse penalty than anything he might get for admitting cheating.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hmmm. I'm just wondering whether or not Reed might - even now - be better off just admitting it (if he did cheat) - take whatever flak and penalty comes his way - but as a starter clears his conscience and asks for forgiveness. In the eyes of some at least admitting the error of your ways is a good start to being forgiven. Because at the moment he is standing there being shot at - and that may continue for quite some long time - and that feels a worse penalty than anything he might get for admitting cheating.

A proper Oprah type interview, fake tears and the lot ?

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site

Possibly he would, but I don't see him doing that.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Possibly he would, but I don't see him doing that.
Just thinking that this might not be such a daft route to go as many of the American pros are Christians of one sort or another...and so may be willing to forgive him his transgressions.

But then again Reed might not give a monkeys...

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Just thinking that this might not be such a daft route to go as many of the American pros are Christians of one sort or another...and so may be willing to forgive him his transgressions.

But then again Reed might not give a monkeys...

Or, shock of all horrors... He just might have been telling the truth when he said he believed the sand he moved was far enough away from his lie so that to him it didn't constitute an improvement

Swango1980

Visit site
Or, shock of all horrors... He just might have been telling the truth when he said he believed the sand he moved was far enough away from his lie so that to him it didn't constitute an improvement
That would be a shocking assessment. I'm 95% certain he cheated, and if that is good enough in the Rules of Golf in terms of claiming a ball is lost in a penalty area, it is good enough for me to judge him as a cheat :)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Are you really saying that one of the top golfers in the world who practices for hours and hours in bunkers/ waste areas / practice grounds ,ranges could accidentally have caught the sand on their backswing TWICE.

Any decent golfer never mind a pro would not do that ,or try that excuse!

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Are you really saying that one of the top golfers in the world who practices for hours and hours in bunkers/ waste areas / practice grounds ,ranges could accidentally have caught the sand on their backswing TWICE.

Any decent golfer never mind a pro would not do that ,or try that excuse!

I could be wrong but I don't recall him saying it was accidental
Grounding the club in a bunker and therfore moving sand, is not against the rules

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I could be wrong but I don't recall him saying it was accidental
Grounding the club in a bunker and therfore moving sand, is not against the rules
He didn’t that’s my point he did it deliberately that’s cheating.
Yes it is???? In a bunker.
He was in a waste area!

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
That would be a shocking assessment. I'm 95% certain he cheated, and if that is good enough in the Rules of Golf in terms of claiming a ball is lost in a penalty area, it is good enough for me to judge him as a cheat :)

Unfortunately 95% certain isn't enough you need to be 100%.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Why, do you think you can ground your club in a bunker?

Not just me....

Under Rules 12.2a and 12.2b, the player is allowed to touch or move loose impediments in a bunker and is generally allowed to touch the sand with a hand or club; but a limited prohibition continues so that the player must not:
  • Deliberately touch the sand in a bunker with a hand, club, rake or other object to test the condition of the sand to learn information for the stroke, or
  • Touch the sand in a bunker with a club in making a practice swing, in grounding the club right in front of or behind the ball, or in making the backswing for a stroke.