Par 3's Where is the Wackiest in the UK?

Crawfy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The Rockies. The 5th @ Anstruther

Golfers should beware of Anstruther Golf Club’s version of Amen corner which comprises a series of 3 challenging par 3’s starting with The Rockies (5th) voted the toughest par 3 in the UK! (Voted in 2007)

You tee off from the top of a cliff, all sea and rocks to the left as the hole turns right - 245yds !!!!

I fired 3 potatoes into the drink

Almost aced the following hole though

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
two come to mind that I have played:

The 17th castle course- st Andrews - Not as quirky as some have said on here but its about 180 yards over the north sea anything right its bye, bye ball and if you hit too hard will roll through the back into the gorse or through the green into the sea. don't forget you have to battle the wind and stuff up there too lol :)

cant remember the course I played but it was the last one on a society trip last year in Dumfries (maybe Duckster can name it) but it was around 160 yarder up hill, now I say up hill it was virtually vertical. hit it too soft and the ball is lost in rough or hit it too hard will run off at the green at the back. You have no idea where you ball will land as the green is behind a big ledge and if no one is at the top watching your shot chances are it will be lost :)

It was Moffat - 9th. Only 127, but straight uphill

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Think it's the 5th hole on the Dukes course at Woburn. Par 3 with the green some 50 foot (or feet for some forumers!) below the tee, but usually only measuring 85-95 yards off the tee.

It's a lovely looking hole, just far too short.

3rd! Absolutely wonderful hole imo! 135 or so off the Whites (120-ish off TofTD). As already posted, Par 3s don't need to be long to be interesting - Postage Stamp? I believe Par 3s should test distances/clubs/shots that are less likely to be tested elsewhere on the course, so I can forgive the 190-230 yd ones of Pro Tees!

Actually, not particularly enamoured with, though can see a couple of good points to, uphill ones where you can't see pin location or danger. You've reminded me that (from very old memory) there's one of those at your place - 13?

dewsweeper

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Anyone played the 17th at Halifax (Ogden)? http://halifaxgolfclub.co.uk/about/

150 yards, with probably a 150ft drop. Cabbage all the way until probs 15 yards short of the green, and bearing in mind you are high up on the moors, theres a 90% chance it's blowing a gale. I had no idea what club to hit.
Yes,I agree.
Played a 36 hole match there many many years ago.
Cheshire Fire Brigade versus West Yorks.
Crikey we were fit then.
As you say the highest tee shot I have ever played.
Dewsweeper

gazr99

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not sure if it counts as wacky but definitely tough and picturesque is the 11th at Cherwell Edge near Banbury. Off Whites is 235 yards over what can only be described as a ravine. Trees where you won't find your ball all the way down the right and about less than yards past the green is out of bounds.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
if you mean the 3rd not sure ive ever played it at less than 100 yds, usually its 120/130 and a cracking hole with a very tough green

I've played it twice and both times I was of the very front tees, some 90 yard to the green.

If it plays 110-120 of the back tees, then yes, it would be a good and different hole. Good length with a tricky green.

I'm not suggesting that a part three needs to be more than 150 yards, it's just too short at 90 yards with that much drop.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've got a book called 'Britain's 100 Extraordinary Golf Holes' where some of those already mentioned are listed.

An excellent book to view some truly bizarre holes.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The 9th at Gosport and Stokes Bay is fairly wacky. Played through a narrow funnel of land bordered on the right hand side by an MOD establishment and a fairly incongruous wire fence! Only measures 150 yards but hitting the uphill green isnt particularly easy.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've played it twice and both times I was of the very front tees, some 90 yard to the green.

If it plays 110-120 of the back tees, then yes, it would be a good and different hole. Good length with a tricky green.

I'm not suggesting that a part three needs to be more than 150 yards, it's just too short at 90 yards with that much drop.

it plays 120 off the normal tee and 135ish off the backs, ive never played it from the spot you did clearly

D

Deleted member 15344

For it to be 90yards would mean playing from the bush area about 30 yards in front of the yellow/red tee

It's 120 to the middle pin , 128 to the nasty one at the back from the yellows

135 from the white tee

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
15th at Cruden Bay - round/over a mountain. Or there is one on the front nine at Prestwick which is straight over a mountain with targets on the side to indicate where the green/flag is located. Tremendous fun though.

The cruden bay one came to mind - dog leg par 3 or over the mountain. Also 2nd at Painswick in Cotswolds

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Obviously it doesn't count now but there was one on the old Ascot course, I don't remember which hole but from memory there was a row of trees/bushes accross the hole which obscured the green from view. If I recall correctly, the flag was extra long to enable it to be seen from the tee and the etiquette was for the group who just finished the hole to watch tee shots of the group behind and mark the location of any that ran into the trees behind with a little flag. It was a most peculiar hole

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Obviously it doesn't count now but there was one on the old Ascot course, I don't remember which hole but from memory there was a row of trees/bushes accross the hole which obscured the green from view. If I recall correctly, the flag was extra long to enable it to be seen from the tee and the etiquette was for the group who just finished the hole to watch tee shots of the group behind and mark the location of any that ran into the trees behind with a little flag. It was a most peculiar hole

That was the 7th. Short at around 135 yards or so but surrounded by bunkers and you really had a firm idea exactly where you were aiming

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
For it to be 90yards would mean playing from the bush area about 30 yards in front of the yellow/red tee

It's 120 to the middle pin , 128 to the nasty one at the back from the yellows

135 from the white tee

Right. I'm going to say this once more. I find it too short. From the tees I played off, I was too long with a sand wedge (90 yards when hit full) and the second time I shanked it trying to dial it down. Hitting the provisional with the and wedge went too long again.

I'm more than happy to accept it measures 120 or so, but due to the descent it plays a good bit shorter. For me. And my game.

Maybe I should learn how to hit a 3/4 and wedge, but that's another story.

I find this hole too short, and you will not convince me otherwise.

S

Snelly

I've got a book called 'Britain's 100 Extraordinary Golf Holes' where some of those already mentioned are listed.

An excellent book to view some truly bizarre holes.

I have this book too. I think it is a pretty poor golf book actually but am delighted you like it.

Included in this book is a par 3 at Brighton and Hove GC. Something like the 5th I think. Huge drop down to a green in the valley below. Much bigger drop than Woburn or Hindhead. It is a stupid hole. About 170 yards and its never more than a wedge!

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
There's a par 3 @ Sleaford GC, not long (130ish if memory serves). But theres a 60ft high copse of trees between tee & green and no choice of going round them.