Par 3's Where is the Wackiest in the UK?

D

Deleted Member 1156

I was going to mention that one Cameron.
I reckon that could be a bit of a card wrecker
:mad::mad::mad:

Actually it's not too bad as once you get over the brow the ball will run most of the way down to the green. From memory there are a couple of bunkers to be avoided but a big flat green when you get there.

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
1. Chiltern Forest 8th 160 yards
Looking at the card it looks like a normal par 3, but no. The
Tee shot crosses the 12th fairway and has to rise 100 feet to
a postage stamp green on top of the hill. If you don't get the
height, you become a mountain goat, looking for your ball
in the deep rough,

The 8th at Chiltern Forest is just as weird from the ladies tee which is at the other side of the fairway that the men cross, near the bottom the hill. The green is above your head and you are looking at a steep grassy wall about 8 feet in front of you. We just have to wedge to the max and hope it goes straight up!

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have this book too. I think it is a pretty poor golf book actually but am delighted you like it.

Included in this book is a par 3 at Brighton and Hove GC. Something like the 5th I think. Huge drop down to a green in the valley below. Much bigger drop than Woburn or Hindhead. It is a stupid hole. About 170 yards and its never more than a wedge!

I like the quirky holes. As a book its probably not much quality wise but it is intriguing to see the more bizarre golf holes out there!

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
17th at Pinner Hill.
232 from whites, 222 from the reds.

Down hill, downhill and downhill, then a little hop down to the green
You dont have a clue if the ball is long or short. If you are off line, you've lost it

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Right. I'm going to say this once more. I find it too short. From the tees I played off, I was too long with a sand wedge (90 yards when hit full) and the second time I shanked it trying to dial it down. Hitting the provisional with the and wedge went too long again.

I'm more than happy to accept it measures 120 or so, but due to the descent it plays a good bit shorter. For me. And my game.

Maybe I should learn how to hit a 3/4 and wedge, but that's another story.

I find this hole too short, and you will not convince me otherwise.

Forgot to mention in my other reply - being long on that hole is not good idea! Treacherous back to front slope, along with quite a side one! Was one of the 3 NTPs I got on a BombSquadGolf outing, so my view is probably slightly tainted! :rofl:

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Forgot to mention in my other reply - being long on that hole is not good idea! Treacherous back to front slope, along with quite a side one! Was one of the 3 NTPs I got on a BombSquadGolf outing, so my view is probably slightly tainted! :rofl:

Being long at the back of the green is one thing. I was in the rhododendron bushes up the blooming slope behind the green. :(

BrizoH71

Tour Rookie
brianhealy.net
13th at Crail Balcomie... 210yards'ish in distance off the whites, all uphill and all carry to the green where you can't see the flag.

The 16th at the same course is a cut-down version, around 150 yards, but again you can't see the flag due to the gorse that lines the ridge.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Played Bakewell yesterday. Their 9th/18th is quite a drop of a par 3. Tiny green with out of bounds and fields to the right (and spectacular views of Bakewell - as you get from every hole of this tough wee course) - clubhouse way down below to the left. Maybe not the wackiest - but certainly one where you step onto the tee and go - ooooh!

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Played Bakewell yesterday. Their 9th/18th is quite a drop of a par 3. Tiny green with out of bounds and fields to the right (and spectacular views of Bakewell - as you get from every hole of this tough wee course) - clubhouse way down below to the left. Maybe not the wackiest - but certainly one where you step onto the tee and go - ooooh!
Love Bakewell, though their tarts are nothing like the ones you get down here.:eek:

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Another One is the 2nd at Three Locks GC near Milton Keynes
Officially it is 92 yards , but with a 40 foot drop , depending on pin position the hole can be much shorter, when I played it , the pin was 68 yards away, tried a half shot with a 60 wedge, airmailed the green.

Some would say the challenge is manufacturing a shot , others would say it belongs on a pitch n putt course

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Another One is the 2nd at Three Locks GC near Milton Keynes
Officially it is 92 yards , but with a 40 foot drop , depending on pin position the hole can be much shorter, when I played it , the pin was 68 yards away, tried a half shot with a 60 wedge, airmailed the green.

Some would say the challenge is manufacturing a shot , others would say it belongs on a pitch n putt course

Is there a correlation between those who say it should be on a P&P course and those who fail to make par?!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
We have a "pitch'n'putt" as a par 3 short course. Longest hole is 97 yards but there are some great holes on it.
Several holes you're happy to walk off with a par.
Just because a hole is short it doesn't mean its easy or a freak.
Having said that, some most definitely are....

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
There is a 70 yard par three at sandy lodge which hits onto a green that slopes left to right, and about as steep as the North face of the Eiger.

Stupid hole.

S

Snelly

There is a 70 yard par three at sandy lodge which hits onto a green that slopes left to right, and about as steep as the North face of the Eiger.

Stupid hole.

Ah yes, I remember this one. Utterly stupid hole.