Par 3's Where is the Wackiest in the UK?

Scrindle

Head Pro
Visit site
I played at Painswick in or near to Gloucester recently. An odd course with some interesting holes and some bog standard up and downs. Most of the par 3s were interesting and included 2 completely blind uphill holes that were as much a guessing game as anything else I've played before.

Still, birdied one of them which was nice (the green did slope towards the flag on all sides, however :eek:).

D

Deleted member 15344

What is the yardage on that. Looks amazing.

Well on Wed last week it was a front pin and was 124 to the pin from the yellows - wind was into so played just a touch over that - it's about 136 from the whites.

D

Deleted member 15344

Reminds me a little of the downhill par 3 3rd at Burnham Beeches (which by the way I think is a good hole)

Yeah I think i remember the hole you are talking about - that one is just a little longer but still a cracker

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
Always find the 6th at Reading a bit odd. Straight up a steep hill to a green where you never know the position of the pin. (unless you send your caddy up to reccy it for you:D)

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sad man that i am i've begun perusing my course guides! Therefore:

the 5th on the Forest course at Bramshaw plays to a green in a dip that is not visible from the tee. Only the top of the flag is. Problem is a stream runs behind it so one tends to err on the side of caution. Have left my tee shot on top of the ridge more than once!

Bulbury Woods in Dorset has 2 par 3's in a row, which i would guess is probably not that common.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The 5th hole at Royal Worlington is, in my opinion, just silly. 160 yards long to a green, which, in the summer, is impossible!

A decription of it goes
"Fifth hole, 160 yards; Perhaps the greatest one shot hole outside the United States and certainly the most British of all holes: Take what shot you may, this unadorned hole invariably triumphs, standing proud century after century. From the tee shot which charmingly plays across the fourth green to the final putt, it commands every ounce of the player’s attention. Otherwise, even the very best players can look foolish as they wreck their card during a medal round (of which there are mercifully few at Royal Worlington). A former captain of the club once found the green with his tee shot, only to hole out in 8. The green is long and narrow with essentially three levels. Though 26 paces across, the left and right third of the green slope off to their sides, leaving a desperately narrow shelf on which a ball might stay.To the left is large hollow known as Mog’s Bog that once was a water hazard but is today just the start of many fives. To the right of the green is another rather steep slope leading to a stream that occasionally catches a ball. Level fours here during competition over the course of a year won’t harm your chances."

RWN5g.jpg

RWN5bg.jpg

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Wellow has a couple of interesting ones: the 3rd on the Ryedown course has a tree directly between the tee and the green. The upper branches are lopped off but it still requires a well struck shot to clear it whilst you cant see the green at all on the 3rd of the Embley 9 and only the top of the flag.

Winterhill near Maidenhead features a 120 yarder which slopes severely on all sides so you're either putting for birdie or facing a nightmare uphill chip. And there's a narrow isthmus of plateaued land that goes from tee to green.