Pace of play obsessions

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Interesting that a lot of people say they don't want to rush round when you hear lots of comments about people giving up golf because it's too time consuming.
It IS time consuming! But half an hour less on the course isn't going to change that!

For me at my 'favourite' course, it takes an hour each way to/from the course 20 mins or so before tee off; 4 and a half hours for our 4-ball to get round (it's just that sort of course!) an hour and a half for afters. So the whole day is committed to that round - and the camaradie that goes with it.

If I wanted a quick round, I'd go down to the (walkable to even) 9-holer during the week and get around in an hour and a quarter!

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
A few years ago my club asked all players to put their start and finishing time on their card, it highlighted where the slow play started and where gaps were. But sadly nothing was done about it, still the same slow players going out early on a Saturday.
They think it's great as they never have to stand around waiting on the game in front.

edit, that's why we very seldom play in a Saturday medal, Friday medals we're round in 3hrs to 3hrs 15 mins, unless there's a visiting party.

Last edited:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Whilst Bob's solution of put the fast out first and the slow out last has merits it will never work.
If it's a drawn competition, why not?
Most clubs will know who their sprinters and slow coaches are.

I can't say as I particularly want to race round in 2 hrs as I simply wouldn't enjoy it or play well, that being said I wouldn't want a 5hr round as I'd be bored off my tits.

So you ask for a mid morning tee time. You avoid the sprinters and the slow coaches.

If a Reliant Robin, a Skoda Fabia and a Ferrari have to drive 4 hours along a one way single lane track, what order would you put them out in?
Motorways have 3 lanes, golf courses only have one.

Hooker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Most of the posts in this thread are STILL obsessing about the amount of time is should/does/doesn't a round of golf takes.

I think the point is it takes as long as it takes, and unless its unreasonably or constantly/ painfully slow, we shouldn't solely focus on it.

The recent meet at Trump Aberdeen, if you tell me that it took you 3.5 hours I would call bull. Because its a hell of a long walk even without having to chase a little white ball around!

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
This is another reason that people should play vintage clubs.
Everybody used to play quicker back in the day, using what are now vintage clubs. ;)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Most of the posts in this thread are STILL obsessing about the amount of time is should/does/doesn't a round of golf takes.

I think the point is it takes as long as it takes, and unless its unreasonably or constantly/ painfully slow, we shouldn't solely focus on it.

The recent meet at Trump Aberdeen, if you tell me that it took you 3.5 hours I would call bull. Because its a hell of a long walk even without having to chase a little white ball around!
no one is saying some courses don't take longer than others, there s a few walks around trump so i would suggest it would take longer. as for the recent meet at Trump, we were held up on the whole of the back 9 and still got round in a just over 3 hours, so what your point;)

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
I can’t fathom how people can be so slow.
Clubs need to roll out some sort of training day of how to not faff about.
I’ve often thought about it at my club and offering my services on how to get round in a timely manner. I suspect most won’t like the criticism though!

I have to double think of when I’ll have time to find that snickers I chucked in my bag.

Hooker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
no one is saying some courses don't take longer than others, there s a few walks around trump so i would suggest it would take longer. as for the recent meet at Trump, we were held up on the whole of the back 9 and still got round in a just over 3 hours, so what your point;)

3 hours for you on the back 9 at Trump wouldn't surprise me ;)

D

Deleted Member 1156

It IS time consuming! But half an hour less on the course isn't going to change that!

For me at my 'favourite' course, it takes an hour each way to/from the course 20 mins or so before tee off; 4 and a half hours for our 4-ball to get round (it's just that sort of course!) an hour and a half for afters. So the whole day is committed to that round - and the camaradie that goes with it.

If I wanted a quick round, I'd go down to the (walkable to even) 9-holer during the week and get around in an hour and a quarter!
What's your point?

My point is that people complain they don't have time for golf or time to stay for a drink afterwards etc etc yet they are quite happy to dawdle round the course taking 5 hours. They can't have it both ways.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
As Patrick says, every course is different and will have its own pace of play.
If every course had a published pace of play time then you will know of you're keeping up or not.
At Stoke Park recently they had pace times posted. We were well ahead of them and we weren't playing fast.
At the turn we were asked to have a break to make a bit of space. Those in front weren't slow, they'd kept to the pace time.
If anything we'd been fast.
Just because you catch the group in front, it doesn't automatically make them slow.
If etiquette is followed and faster groups let through if appropriate then things will flow.
You also need to know why you've caught the group in front. Are they slow or have they had to look for a couple of balls?
Are they keeping up with the group in front of them..?
Buggies can cause an issue too.
Maybe not so fast during the hole as players could be on opposite sides of the fairway but they can steam between greens and tees much faster than we can walk.
Golf takes time because it's hard.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It all depends on why you are on the course. I would expect a competition round (3-ball) to take 3.5 to 4 hours (maybe slightly longer on a tough course). However, I have had 5-hour social rounds which I have enjoyed (letting faster groups through) as I am there to enjoy the company of my playing partners as well as the golf.

D

Deleted Member 1156

It all depends on why you are on the course. I would expect a competition round (3-ball) to take 3.5 to 4 hours (maybe slightly longer on a tough course). However, I have had 5-hour social rounds which I have enjoyed (letting faster groups through) as I am there to enjoy the company of my playing partners as well as the golf.
Would you have enjoyed their company just as much if you'd spent 3.5hrs on the course and 1.5hrs in the bar? Don't forget that while you are enjoying your 5 hour round and calling people through you are causing congestion and disrupting other peoples rounds.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Would you have enjoyed their company just as much if you'd spent 3.5hrs on the course and 1.5hrs in the bar? Don't forget that while you are enjoying your 5 hour round and calling people through you are causing congestion and disrupting other peoples rounds.

These games generally take place at weekend afternoons, with non-regular golfers, when there are few others on the course. No need to rush on these occasions and rarely have to let more than one group through.

D

Deleted member 16999

As Patrick says, every course is different and will have its own pace of play.
If every course had a published pace of play time then you will know of you're keeping up or not.
At Stoke Park recently they had pace times posted. We were well ahead of them and we weren't playing fast.
At the turn we were asked to have a break to make a bit of space. Those in front weren't slow, they'd kept to the pace time.
If anything we'd been fast.
Just because you catch the group in front, it doesn't automatically make them slow.
If etiquette is followed and faster groups let through if appropriate then things will flow.
You also need to know why you've caught the group in front. Are they slow or have they had to look for a couple of balls?
Are they keeping up with the group in front of them..?
Buggies can cause an issue too.
Maybe not so fast during the hole as players could be on opposite sides of the fairway but they can steam between greens and tees much faster than we can walk.
Golf takes time because it's hard.
Spot on, the issue comes when people expect “their” time to be the standard on every course they play.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
In my personal (selfish) perspective I have no issues about how long it takes to get round. I have a very understanding wife who is happy to do her own thing while I'm out and no kids (sadly) to rush back for. That puts me in a very privileged position that it can take whatever to get round, especially in competitions and have a few beers after. That said, it is usually no more than 4 - 41/4 hours even in a medal so we're not too bad on average. I appreciate some courses take longer and again I am lucky if I go away and it takes longer. My take has always been you need to weigh up how much time you can afford to spare to play and then decide if you can comfortably get round without putting undue pressure on the PP's to rush round. As I say, I am coming form an advantageous position so my view may be blinkered