Pace of play obsessions

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Was asked to Caddie yesterday afternoon for a big group of Americans, 20 of them, we were first group, round in 3 and a half hours of the whites, which included a lady who was off 20.

the group behind had lost 4 holes on us when we finished. i think thats the first time i've caddied a sub 4 hour round

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
For second week in a row I was in first group out in our Saturday morning roll-up - and as last time our 3ball finished in 3hr 25mins, The four ball behind us was three holes behind us at the end.

Also, as we teed off we spotted a fourball in front of us walking off the 2nd green, We caught them, and were let through, on the 12th tee.

Were we fast or are our four balls too slow.

Tough to give an opinion since we don't know what happened to the 4-ball that started behind you and lost 2 holes on you. Also what happened to them if/when they caught the 4-ball in front of you
But a 4-ball losing 2 holes over 18 on a 3-ball doesn't seem very dramatic or unexpected

(Where are these whacked up courses where you can see the 2nd green from the 1st tee or the 16th tee from the 18th green! It sounds like a mental layout of horseshoe shaped holes)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Was asked to Caddie yesterday afternoon for a big group of Americans, 20 of them, we were first group, round in 3 and a half hours of the whites, which included a lady who was off 20.

the group behind had lost 4 holes on us when we finished. i think thats the first time i've caddied a sub 4 hour round
It seems to crop up that US tourists often play very slowly, why is that? (I am asking you as I know you caddy quite often at your course for them so will see close up)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Tough to give an opinion since we don't know what happened to the 4-ball that started behind you and lost 2 holes on you. Also what happened to them if/when they caught the 4-ball in front of you
But a 4-ball losing 2 holes over 18 on a 3-ball doesn't seem very dramatic or unexpected

(Where are these whacked up courses where you can see the 2nd green from the 1st tee or the 16th tee from the 18th green! It sounds like a mental layout of horseshoe shaped holes)

I noticed that the 4ball behind us were teeing off on our 7th as we were putting on 8th.

Also our layout is not at all odd. Our 1st goes out - our second comes back - pretty much in parallel with our 1st. So from 1st tee we can see our 2nd green.

The 4 ball behind us did not catch the 4 ball we played through.

I'm a bit surprised that for a three ball and four ball with players playing at same speed ends up with maybe 30mins difference from the round.

Maybe my 3 ball were quick as we were playing stableford and the other two guys in my group picked up a few times each. The four ball behind were also playing stableford.

Last edited:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I noticed that the 4ball behind us were teeing off on our 7th as we were putting on 8th.

Also our layout is not at all odd. Our 1st goes out - our second comes back - pretty much in parallel with our 1st. So from 1st tee we can see our 2nd green.

The 4 ball behind us did not catch the 4 ball we played through.

I'm a bit surprised that for a three ball and four ball with players playing at same speed ends up with maybe 30mins difference from the round.

Maybe my 3 ball were quick as we were playing stableford and the other two guys in my group picked up a few times each. The four ball behind were also playing stableford.

It just sounded a lot like spaghetti junction ;)

So the group behind would’ve started a hole behind you (as near as makes no odds) then lost another hole by the time you played 8 and a third by the time you played 18

As I say it doesn’t seem that bad for them to basically drop a hole behind a smaller group on each 9, since they have an extra player in their group. Sounds like they were playing a similar pace to your group but they just had more players. Where do you reckon they should've finished in relation to your group

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It only takes a group playing 5% faster than the "standard" and a group playing 5% slower to create a sizable gap. Especially when theres a 3 ball in front of a 4
Add in a couple of searches and you can easily find a 30 minute gap.
Doesn't mean the 4 ball are slow..just slower.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
It seems to crop up that US tourists often play very slowly, why is that? (I am asking you as I know you caddy quite often at your course for them so will see close up)
most are not used to walking, not to mention they fanny around a lot;)

doing a 3 day international ladies comp from today, my player was pretty quick the others not so, she moaned about the POP all the way round we took 4 amd 3/4 as a 4 ball and waited on every shot

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
It just sounded a lot like spaghetti junction ;)

So the group behind would’ve started a hole behind you (as near as makes no odds) then lost another hole by the time you played 8 and a third by the time you played 18

As I say it doesn’t seem that bad for them to basically drop a hole behind a smaller group on each 9, since they have an extra player in their group. Sounds like they were playing a similar pace to your group but they just had more players. Where do you reckon they should've finished in relation to your group

I was just wondering, as I am a bit surprised that a 4th player actually adds that much to the round time when compared with a 3 ball. Clearly a 4th player is going t make a round longer - and I guess over 18 holes 35mins isn't that much. 2 mins a hole.