Pace of play obsessions

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
I played today, it was me with my 12 year old son and my 9 year old. Course is over 6000 yards. Boys played off the reds and i played off the mens. 2 guys rushed out before us seeing me with 2 kids. Watched them tee off and thought holy *** this is bad. Watched one guy take 5 practice swings then line himself up behind take 2 more practice swings including taking a chunk and the hit it 100 yards. After we finished the first hole they had just finished teeing off 2. At hole 3 as they buggered around on the tee having both hit balls 75 yards left down towards the woods with no intention to let us through I said let us through or I am calling the clubhouse and getting you moved off.

By this time another 2 ball in a buggy was behind us and they jumped 3 and 4 and went to 5. The 2 guys let us through with a well we have a few beers in the bag and ain't in a rush and I was like you had lost a hole after a hole and didn't want to let us through. The funniest thing was watching a 9 year old smash his ball 50 yards past and the 12 year old hammering it 200 + and them looking at us like we were aliens.

Thing is the course was then snarled up for 5 or 6 groups from the off. Really frustrating

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
I was first out on Saturday and we bombed round, just under 3 hours it took! and was playing with a lad off scratch who took a bit more time over the pre shot routine/green reading but he more than made up for that with his walking pace ... the group behind were 2 holes behind us by the end

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I was over at Hampton Court Palace Saturday evening. That course is normally pretty rammed but late evening was fairly quiet. I get to the 11th and a two ball in front has gone into stagnation. One guy makes an eight on the short par-4 taking about four practice swings on every shot and an age over the ball. They are still on the par-3 12th tee when I get there. Said slowcoach states "we're going in after this hole so won't hold you up". 15 minutes later, they finish the hole, pack all their stuff away and eventually walk off. The holes in front were totally empty.

Moral is some people simply have no clue about the effect of their play on others. And no matter how much we complain, there will always be ignorant individuals who will ruin it for people like us who I guess know more than the average player.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Well over 4 1/2 hours yesterday in a shotgun better ball event. Expected it to be slow with groups on every hole but the pace of play in my group was so slow and the three women I was with to great exception to being told we need to pick the pace up as we'd lost a hole. In the end they got a wriggle on, helped by my constant reminding to pick balls up when they couldn't score or improve their partners score and by the 14th we were back on the same hole as the group in front. A struggle though not helped by all three seemingly taken layers off or adding layers on on each hole or looking in their bags for food etc. Glad it was a once a year experience

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
I never want anyone to feel like they have to rush in order to keep pace up, and things like bag on the wrong side and marking the card on the green are only frustrating if the group are holding you up, as it delays your shot more than necessary.

If you are doing everything right and it takes you 4 hours then so be it, let people through if they are quicker otherwise enjoy your round.

However I very rarely see "slow" groups do everything right.

Not playing ready golf, to the extreme of standing next to a player partner and watch their shot in full, then walk to your ball and start preparing. No, get to your ball (as long as it isn't in front or in a distracting or dangerous place and get ready to play).

The amount of times I see poorer player hit their drive 180 yards but wait for the green which is 200+ yards away to empty before playing, then surprise surprise their shot doesn't go anywhere near the green, all the while a faster group is on the tee but can't drive off as the slow player is in range.

I fully understand that players play at different paces, I'm a fast walker and never get angry with people who can't walk as fast. It's all the other stuff that gets on my wick

Zimmie

Visit site
I don’t play as often now due to health issues, and silly buggy prices (bone of contention) plus I don’t have a playing partner as of yet. When I was playing regularly 3/4 times a week it always seemed rushed not by myself but there was always someone in our group who for reasons unknown always tried to speed things along.
They were the ones who’s golf wasn’t always the best and perhaps speeding up others in the group gave him a better chance of a good score.
When I do play now I savour every moment from the smell of the grass to the people I meet and the wildlife around me, cause I just don’t know how long it will be until the next game.
I can’t physically rush anymore, and after 3/4 holes I can’t even get the ball out the cup.
Guess what I’m saying is if it takes 4 hours then it takes 4 hours enjoy every moment don’t get annoyed with people in front because it may be me who can’t speed up.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
I don’t play as often now due to health issues, and silly buggy prices (bone of contention) plus I don’t have a playing partner as of yet. When I was playing regularly 3/4 times a week it always seemed rushed not by myself but there was always someone in our group who for reasons unknown always tried to speed things along.
They were the ones who’s golf wasn’t always the best and perhaps speeding up others in the group gave him a better chance of a good score.
When I do play now I savour every moment from the smell of the grass to the people I meet and the wildlife around me, cause I just don’t know how long it will be until the next game.
I can’t physically rush anymore, and after 3/4 holes I can’t even get the ball out the cup.
Guess what I’m saying is if it takes 4 hours then it takes 4 hours enjoy every moment don’t get annoyed with people in front because it may be me who can’t speed up.

If you don't let me through when I'm playing faster then I will get annoyed with you. If you do let me through I don't care how long it takes you because you aren't affecting my round

Lazkir

Head Pro
Visit site
I never want anyone to feel like they have to rush in order to keep pace up, and things like bag on the wrong side and marking the card on the green are only frustrating if the group are holding you up, as it delays your shot more than necessary.

If you are doing everything right and it takes you 4 hours then so be it, let people through if they are quicker otherwise enjoy your round.

However I very rarely see "slow" groups do everything right.

Not playing ready golf, to the extreme of standing next to a player partner and watch their shot in full, then walk to your ball and start preparing. No, get to your ball (as long as it isn't in front or in a distracting or dangerous place and get ready to play).

The amount of times I see poorer player hit their drive 180 yards but wait for the green which is 200+ yards away to empty before playing, then surprise surprise their shot doesn't go anywhere near the green, all the while a faster group is on the tee but can't drive off as the slow player is in range.

I fully understand that players play at different paces, I'm a fast walker and never get angry with people who can't walk as fast. It's all the other stuff that gets on my wick

Bib: I do get where you're coming from, but the times I've thought that I'm not in range so I can just hit this up to front of the green. Only then to hit it pure and flush it, quickly followed by me shouting "Fore green" in a panicked voice.
If in doubt, I now wait. I'd rather have someone behind me frustrated than someone in front of me injured.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Bib: I do get where you're coming from, but the times I've thought that I'm not in range so I can just hit this up to front of the green. Only then to hit it pure and flush it, quickly followed by me shouting "Fore green" in a panicked voice.
If in doubt, I now wait. I'd rather have someone behind me frustrated than someone in front of me injured.

I understand that. my beef is more with the people who have no chance even with their best shot of hitting the green, as in they average 180 with a driver off the tee but expecting to hit their 3 wood off the deck 250 yards

Visit site
It's amazing how golf is now determined by how long it's taking you to get round and not what your score is for the round. Pretty sad sTate of affairs imo.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
It's amazing how golf is now determined by how long it's taking you to get round and not what your score is for the round. Pretty sad sTate of affairs imo.

What?? If I go round 5 under my handicap and it takes 5.5 hours, it's no fun or anything to celebrate, it may be all about the score for you for many it's about the enjoyment of the game as a whole. Additionally does that mean if you score poorly you wish you hadn't played as that's likely to mean less enjoyment rather than more.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just to pick up on your point that rounds need to be marshalled better. Many clubs are limping along, managing their budgets and in many areas within their respective clubs cutting some areas of spending. How do those clubs fund the cost of a marshal? How many marshals would a club need(constantly patrol), bearing in mind golf courses are open more than 40 hours/week? What authority will a marshal have in terms of asking groups to walk a hole, adding a double bogey to their score on that hole?

Not saying you're wrong but I do question the affordability.
I know that Ratho GC in West Lothian use a Marshal [ an older member who may get a few free beers :unsure: ] during open comps, he whizzes round in a buggy informing players to keep up, only if they've lost some ground on the game in front.

Last edited:

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I understand that. my beef is more with the people who have no chance even with their best shot of hitting the green, as in they average 180 with a driver off the tee but expecting to hit their 3 wood off the deck 250 yards
What's your view on how close you can get? If I've got a shot that might conceivably get to within about 20 yards of the group ahead, I'll wait because I feel it would be rude to land a ball that close, even though there is no physical danger. (Of course the chances are that the shot will more than likely end up at least 50 yards behind them!)

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
What's your view on how close you can get? If I've got a shot that might conceivably get to within about 20 yards of the group ahead, I'll wait because I feel it would be rude to land a ball that close, even though there is no physical danger. (Of course the chances are that the shot will more than likely end up at least 50 yards behind them!)

I think you have to be sensible, if you are on the tee and they are playing their shots and are still, but slightly out of your range I wouldn't go. If they have finished and are starting to walk then I would hit as by the ball lands they will be well out of the way.

If the ball is rolling as it gets to within 20 yards of them then I don't see an issue with that as it means it is landing 30-40 yards away. If it's pitching 20 yards short then I would probably wait.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site

How would I know what I score? Most of my non competition golf is 4bbb matchplay. This obsession with keeping score is what makes every round torturous. 4bbb is social golf to me, and I am sure to many others.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I think you have to be sensible, if you are on the tee and they are playing their shots and are still, but slightly out of your range I wouldn't go. If they have finished and are starting to walk then I would hit as by the ball lands they will be well out of the way.
Agreed that once they start walking it's ok to play. I was thinking more about when they're on the green and I have a fairway wood approach. I know if I was putting and a ball plonked down just short of the green I'd be pretty miffed.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Agreed that once they start walking it's ok to play. I was thinking more about when they're on the green and I have a fairway wood approach. I know if I was putting and a ball plonked down just short of the green I'd be pretty miffed.

I don't have any hard rules, if they are on the green and my shot could get close then I may wait, I don't know yardages I would hit or not hit but I guess if I'm hitting a shot that will result in a chip so I'm aiming to be close to the green then I would hold off, if I'm going to be a small pitch away I'll go for it.

The other thing then is if I'm not hitting and my playing partner can go, then let them go first by the time they've finished I'll probably be able to hit. That's another thing slow groups tend not to do

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
How would I know what I score? Most of my non competition golf is 4bbb matchplay. This obsession with keeping score is what makes every round torturous. 4bbb is social golf to me, and I am sure to many others.
If I don't know what I've scored I might as well be at the driving range, it's cheaper.