Pace of play obsessions

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Disagree. I think most players and most clubs recognise there is an issue. The problem is one of education and in my experiences it is those players that are already slow and cause a problem that either don't see themselves as the cause or accept responsibility and are therefore almost impossible to re-educate as to moving quicker, leaving bags in correct places, being ready to play. Until you can find a way at club level to change these attitudes on a regular basis you can talk about it as much as you want. It won't make a difference to the problem
i'm going to break a habit of 9 years and agree with SB, i don't think clubs or players do, as this thread shows there are plenty who think playing at a reasonable pace is wrong and they should be able to take their time, its there week end etc. how many clubs do you visit with an effective course marshall?? of all the clubs up here only one has one and that's the club with the lowest rounds. they may as well not bother, ive witnessed a few times him watching a four balls, who had lost holes on the group in front and not a word, scared to upset visitors

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I think Wolf raises a good point. Does slow play actually exist? Only in the eyes of faster players? How often does slow play actually affect a lot of players, apart from the obvious incidence of a lost ball by the group in front?

I think I've only experienced slow play a few times in the last year but, equally, someone playing with me might say they've experienced it 10 times. Its subjective.

Slow(er) play definitely exists. Golf was massively popular in the mid 80's compared to today. If you played at a muni at a weekend you'd be getting up at 5am to get a tee time for the following week. But if a round exceeded 4 hours there'd be raised eyebrows, and if it exceeded 4.5 hours there'd be lots of mutterings. 4.5 hours almost seems to be the norm for a 4 ball at weekends now.

That said, apart from really slow play, I actually don't care. This retirement lark is great for chilling out.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Pace of play won't speed up while the average age of the membership increases.

i get what you are saying, but most of the old codgers i know on the whole are pretty quick, there are a few i wish would just take a buggy.

some of the slowest i;ve seen though are some of the juniors, usually the very good ones, none of these lads are over a 2 handicap and its like watching the last round of the US open sometimes, they make Kegan Bradley and De Shambles look like racing snakes

Bxm Foxy

Visit site
i get what you are saying, but most of the old codgers i know on the whole are pretty quick, there are a few i wish would just take a buggy.

some of the slowest i;ve seen though are some of the juniors, usually the very good ones, none of these lads are over a 2 handicap and its like watching the last round of the US open sometimes, they make Kegan Bradley and De Shambles look like racing snakes
Spot on, slow play cannot be attributed to just the old, just the crap, just the good.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I don’t care how long a round of golf takes as long as there is no needless waiting around for the folk in front.

That's my point. If the group in front of you are faster, you'll never have to wait.

If a slow player wants to play early, then of course he can but he probably wouldn't enjoy being hurried along by 3 sprinters so would choose a later tee time next week.
It would police itself.

No-one should have to be told how fast/slow they must play and if they did, who gets to decide what is a comfortable pace and what that pace is?

You've got to create a situation where slow players choose a later tee time because they know they will be playing with people who also like to take their time and will enjoy their round more.

Griffsters

Hacker
Visit site
I think Wolf raises a good point. Does slow play actually exist? Only in the eyes of faster players? How often does slow play actually affect a lot of players, apart from the obvious incidence of a lost ball by the group in front?

I think I've only experienced slow play a few times in the last year but, equally, someone playing with me might say they've experienced it 10 times. Its subjective.

This is it, as other have also pointed out.

It will never be 'solved'. I love how the 'feel' of this thread reflects the stereotype golf clubs have in my experience.

D

Deleted member 16999

That's my point. If the group in front of you are faster, you'll never have to wait.

If a slow player wants to play early, then of course he can but he probably wouldn't enjoy being hurried along by 3 sprinters so would choose a later tee time next week.
It would police itself.

No-one should have to be told how fast/slow they must play and if they did, who gets to decide what is a comfortable pace and what that pace is?

You've got to create a situation where slow players choose a later tee time because they know they will be playing with people who also like to take their time and will enjoy their round more.
Or the faster group asks to be let through or the slower is told they are the problem and should let groups through. It’s education not dictating who can play and when.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Or the faster group asks to be let through or the slower is told they are the problem and should let groups through. It’s education not dictating who can play and when.

I don't think I suggested they should.

''You've got to create a situation where slow players choose a later tee time because they know they will be playing with people who also like to take their time and will enjoy their round more.''

D

Deleted member 16999

''You've got to create a situation where slow players choose a later tee time because they know they will be playing with people who also like to take their time and will enjoy their round more.''
But what if they are already choosing the time that suits them. Risk losing them or have no choice but to put up with it.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
But what if they are already choosing the time that suits them. Risk losing them or have no choice but to put up with it.

As I said
''If a slow player wants to play early, then of course he can but he probably wouldn't enjoy being hurried along by 3 sprinters so would choose a later tee time next week.''

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

wouldn't work as this tread shows, the slow don't think they are slow

D

Deleted member 16999

As I said
''If a slow player wants to play early, then of course he can but he probably wouldn't enjoy being hurried along by 3 sprinters so would choose a later tee time next week.''
Like I said, what if he’s already choosing the best time for him! He may not have the flexibility to play later. You’re describing the other 3 as “sprinters” but yet the slow guy is the problem.

D

Deleted member 16999

wouldn't work as this tread shows, the slow don't think they are slow
That’s just trolling Patrick!

Everyone has accepted there are slow players, the discussion is how best to deal with the problem, continually believing you are correct and everyone else is the issue is just as bad as the slow players ignoring the fact they’re slow.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I played Tewantin-Noosa QLD yesterday. By myself with Mrs Hogan walking round with me. Lovely course with kangaroos as spectators. Played front 9 in hour and half - taking our time as lovely warm afternoon. 10th tee we caught a mixed fourball (using buggies...hopelessly as it happens). They didn’t let me through and I waited every hole and every tee and second and third shots. I reckon back nine took me 2 and half hours.

Now I wasn’t that bothered - though at times a little irritated I was pleased to be playing and playing a lovely course (pretty well as it happens). But Mrs Hogan got very frustrated and annoyed with them - muttering such as ‘I don’t know how you can be bothered’, ‘how rude and thoughtless they are’, ‘I couldn’t be bothered playing this game - so slow and annoying - you won’t get me learning this game if this is what it’s like’

And her last comment is the problem for golf.

Even if I was just about OK with it it was just that I knew how to manage waiting and still enjoying myself. My wife didn’t.

Btw - played a hire set of pretty new Callaway Xs which were actually quite nice and dead easy to hit. Club hire plus the green fee plus a trolley was $66 (about £34). They gave me the members visitor rate of $35 as the course was very wet underfoot in places - really only UK parkland winter wet. Great value - but slow play a spoiler - hmmm.

Same the world over it seems. A member came to me in the car park ‘I saw you behind the fourball - did they let you through? Ah - sorry about that...’ And that too is thankfully the same the world over.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
That’s just trolling Patrick!

Everyone has accepted there are slow players, the discussion is how best to deal with the problem, continually believing you are correct and everyone else is the issue is just as bad as the slow players ignoring the fact they’re slow.

not me sir;)

i have never seen or heard anyone admit to being slow, the whole primes of this tread is that its quicker players that are the problem.

I also think the problem may just be lack of consideration, the i can do what i like mentality of many, many people today. You see it in everything not just golf

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Like I said, what if he’s already choosing the best time for him! He may not have the flexibility to play later. You’re describing the other 3 as “sprinters” but yet the slow guy is the problem.

How about everybody else?
No-one is telling him when he can and can't play, that's the whole point.
If he wants to play early he can, but he will have to learn to play quicker or organise his day to suit a later tee time. (Take HID shopping in the morning)

Or how about we spend the next 30 years telling the slow coaches to play faster just like we've been doing for the last 30 years.

D

Deleted member 16999

How about everybody else?
No-one is telling him when he can and can't play, that's the whole point.
If he wants to play early he can, but he will have to learn to play quicker or organise his day to suit a later tee time. (Take HID shopping in the morning)

Or how about we spend the next 30 years telling the slow coaches to play faster just like we've been doing for the last 30 years.
So a 4Ball might take on avg 3:30, for example, bloke normally takes 3:20, the 3 sprinters can do it in 3:10!
Is the guy a slow player or just slow compared to them? Should he speed up or them slow down to 3:15?
Maybe he can’t take HID shopping in the morning as he has to go to work after his round. (I’m sure we can both come up with reasons for him to change his time or not).

One isolated scenario won’t change anything and if a course is littered with people playing slow, then I’d suggest the whole Club needs looking at.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
So a 4Ball might take on avg 3:30, for example, bloke normally takes 3:20, the 3 sprinters can do it in 3:10!
Is the guy a slow player or just slow compared to them? Should he speed up or them slow down to 3:15?

We're not talking 5 or 10 minutes here, it could be 2 hours plus between a quick group and a slow group.

Maybe he can’t take HID shopping in the morning as he has to go to work after his round. (I’m sure we can both come up with reasons for him to change his time or not).

So everyone else has to accommodate captain slow?
I've already said
''If he wants to play early he can, but he will have to learn to play quicker''

One isolated scenario won’t change anything and if a course is littered with people playing slow, then I’d suggest the whole Club needs looking at.

Why?
If they want to play slowly, that's their choice, they've paid their membership but allow the sprinters out first. No-one gets in anyones way
Have you ever watched the London marathon? this is what they do.
The fastest out first and the slower runners behind smelling the flowers.