Pace of play obsessions

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Nope. Whenever we're playing a friendly knock we just do Stableford. Hence we're not hacking round for 8s and 9s but we're still keeping score.
but if you are out of the hole you would just pick up anyway?

do you not get bored just playing Stableford all the time, MP /4bbb can be a lot of fun and i theory should be quicker than 4 of you playing Stableford

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Played on Monday and pace of play was abysmal.

A load of old members playing in a 9 hole medal. Unfortunately not able golfers. When we got to the 1st green, the group in front were still waiting for the group ahead of them to tee off.

Must have waited on the 2nd tee for 10 or 12 minutes. Assume at least 2 groups were searching for balls and held up the whole course.

To make matters worse, I was with a guest. And two lads behind us were visitors who had just payed on. So I had to explain to them that at the 5th, the old duffers would skip across to the 13th to complete the 9 holes and the pace should speed up - which it did.

When we got up to the 6th tee, there must have been 10 people on the 13th tee - a combination of those playing 9 holes and guys out earlier playing the full course.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
but if you are out of the hole you would just pick up anyway?

do you not get bored just playing Stableford all the time, MP /4bbb can be a lot of fun and i theory should be quicker than 4 of you playing Stableford
Why would I get bored of it? That's just how we play. And picking up when you can't score (Stableford) is not the same as picking up when you were on for a par just because your team mate got a birdie. I'd still want to get my par since it's only a friendly round and the only thing that matters to me is how I play.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Why would I get bored of it? That's just how we play. And picking up when you can't score (Stableford) is not the same as picking up when you were on for a par just because your team mate got a birdie. I'd still want to get my par since it's only a friendly round and the only thing that matters to me is how I play.
up to you but you are missing out IMO, 4BBB /MP and other formats that make this a great game

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
up to you but you are missing out IMO, 4BBB /MP and other formats that make this a great game
I get to play them in club matches like I did this Saturday just gone, plus me and a pal have entered the four ball match play cup this summer. It's just when we're having a knockabout we prefer to play for our own scores.

D

Deleted member 16999

Do people not normally play better playing a steady pace, I find personally that I play better, if I’m waiting to hit my next shot I normally start playing rubbish, or worse than normal.......
Varies tbh, if I know on the 1st Tee it’s busy and likely to be slower than normal then I can be ok, but if it’s a steady pace then becomes stop/start, frustration takes over.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Varies tbh, if I know on the 1st Tee it’s busy and likely to be slower than normal then I can be ok, but if it’s a steady pace then becomes stop/start, frustration takes over.

This for me as well, it’s normally steady on my course until the 7th and then can become stop / start, then I start getting peed off waiting and it effects your game.

D

Deleted member 21258

Am glad this thread got posted, as made me adjust my approach to the weekends open. Thanks OP.

Took us 3hr 15 to get to the 13th at the weekend(think it was about 4.45 for 18 holes), I was walking as slow as I could between shots, walked over to the other players balls as they hit and it was kind of flowing, so we didn't have to much start stop start stop feeling and it worked.

Was surprised it worked and was helped that the group behind us had lost time on us.:eek:

Going to try that in future when its silly slow, as still enjoyed the round and that's what I am there for.

Siolag

Visit site
I carded a 161 at the weekend in my first ever medal (third time round 18 holes). My first 5 holes had a 10, a 12 and a 15, and yet, we were still waiting at every tee, including a 7 minute wait at the 10th which is a par 3. I should note the guys were in their 20s or 30s.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I carded a 161 at the weekend in my first ever medal (third time round 18 holes). My first 5 holes had a 10, a 12 and a 15, and yet, we were still waiting at every tee, including a 7 minute wait at the 10th which is a par 3. I should note the guys were in their 20s or 30s.

Good point. People are quick to blame beginners and high handicappers for slow play, but often enough, especially in comps, the better players tend to take a lot more time over their shots and especially their putts and also sometimes develop a certain arrogance and self-importance that makes them disregard other people on the course.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Do people not normally play better playing a steady pace, I find personally that I play better, if I’m waiting to hit my next shot I normally start playing rubbish, or worse than normal.......
This is definitely true for me. If I'm ready to play and then have to wait another 5 minutes, the chance of me duffing it is radically increased. It just seems to through your timing off doesn't it.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Played on Monday and pace of play was abysmal.

A load of old members playing in a 9 hole medal. Unfortunately not able golfers. When we got to the 1st green, the group in front were still waiting for the group ahead of them to tee off.

Must have waited on the 2nd tee for 10 or 12 minutes. Assume at least 2 groups were searching for balls and held up the whole course.

To make matters worse, I was with a guest. And two lads behind us were visitors who had just payed on. So I had to explain to them that at the 5th, the old duffers would skip across to the 13th to complete the 9 holes and the pace should speed up - which it did.

When we got up to the 6th tee, there must have been 10 people on the 13th tee - a combination of those playing 9 holes and guys out earlier playing the full course.

Hope this comes across as intended; The above sounds like a complete recipe for a disaster pace of play and possible doesn't have anything to do with a group or two looking for a ball

If there's two groups on 1st tee before yours it suggests that your group couldn't (shouldn't) tee off for 18-20 minutes (assuming 1st group go straightaway and a 9 or 10 minutes spacing between groups) If groups are teeing off with only 5-6 minute spacing (which would allow you to tee off after only 10-12 minutes) your round time is completely goosed. Who knows how many groups have shot out far too close together before you even got to the course.

Add to that there are groups jumping across the course and it'll just cause a second choke point similar or worse than the 1st tee

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Tee'd off at 1530 as a single, got held up for the first 3 holes behind a 4 ball of visitors (I think) before getting through on the 4th tee.

Walked off the 18th at 1745 hours and a score of +4 with a reload on the 16th, was actually +3 for the last 3 holes.

Golf the way it should be. Great night, course was excellent and once I got motoring nobody to stop me.

👍

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Played in a team comp at the Leicestershire in the morning. Just over 4 hours for an am am betterball. Not too bad.

Then 2 of us blitzed round Collingtree Park in 2 hours 30 odd. Good days golf

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
For second week in a row I was in first group out in our Saturday morning roll-up - and as last time our 3ball finished in 3hr 25mins, The four ball behind us was three holes behind us at the end.

Also, as we teed off we spotted a fourball in front of us walking off the 2nd green, We caught them, and were let through, on the 12th tee.

Were we fast or are our four balls too slow.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just read a couple of threads and as always there are comments of 'if everyone did that....'

I love how anything always gets pace of play comments. Maybe we should all stop reading putts, no practice swings, no assessing lies. If we set a minimum jog speed between shots we could all get round in 1hr45.

I appreciate slow play is an issue in golf. I appreciate we should all be looking to keep up with the group in front. But when did golf's sole purpose be trying to get round as quick as possible? Surely we should be trying to play well. Not overly worried about the time it takes. When I play golf I allow extra time on each side of the round. It means I can actually enjoy my round and not be worrying about being held up. Bare in mind, this is your hobby. You do this to enjoy yourself. Surely more time with your mates, out in nice surroundings, doing what we love is a good thing?

I am sick of hearing about slow play off people. Golf takes time.

*I am in no way advocating that we should slow down, I don't want 5 hour rounds. But are we not getting a little overly obsessed with this?*
I posted a thread some time ago called whats the rush .. maybe have a search . Last thing i want to be is on course for 5 hours or b held up by group losing holes on the groups ahead . Nor do i want to wait all week in work to run around a golf course . As u say allow urself enough time before and after round enjoy it while u can