One balls

bradleywedge

Visit site
What's the forums opinion on one balls?

Never played as a one ball myself ever, but thinking about going out tomorrow, as usual playing partner not available and I fancy a knock.

I plan to go out as late as possible so as not to affect anyones round, are we talking latest tee off time about 2.30 now to get 18 holes in?

Do you regard one balls a hinderance on other group players?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Playing yourself is ideal unless it's a busy course where you get held up all the time.

Quite like going out for a round/few holes myself where I "jump" around a bit play what holes I want, drop a ball here and there, hit a few putts etc etc.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Used to do it now and again
Enjoyable for sure

However playing through almost constantly when it's busy can be like your running round lol

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I regularly go out on my own but, as others have already said, i'll almost always play early or late in the day to try and avoid busy times.

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site
I often go out on my own, as others have said pick a quiet time so you can do different things, play 2 balls, practice a bit of chipping, deliberately go into a bunker etc. Don’t ever remember having to play through anybody, I’m always very aware of whose around me and will speed up or slow down or jump holes so nobody need ever have to worry about me.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Prefer to play with others because having a laugh with fellow players is part of golf for me. On rare occasions when I haven't had a round and need the practise I have gone on my own though. Only late afternoon or weekdays if I have a day off and nothing else to do. Like others I probably wouldn't go when the course is likely to be busy as you'll just be catching people up and having to wait all the time.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We allow single players to play 2 balls as a way of slowing down their pace.

I used to go out on my own but would often just cut out a hole or two so as not to get in the way.

If I went out when the course was crowded I would deliberately slow down my pace of play to not put pressure on the group in front.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Nice to read all the sensible replies by people who will tailor their pace of play & the order they play the holes to avoid larger groups. On my course singles have no standing but we'll happily let a single through, provided there is nobody in front of us. Have no time for singles who expect to be called through on a crowded course.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Nice to read all the sensible replies by people who will tailor their pace of play & the order they play the holes to avoid larger groups. On my course singles have no standing but we'll happily let a single through, provided there is nobody in front of us. Have no time for singles who expect to be called through on a crowded course.

Your course stuck in the 80's, Faldo jumpers and Farahs standard dress?

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
No it’s just a few ignorant people who are members there, they have been there for years and believe everything should revolve them.
A strange comment in view of the fact that the current committee is probably the youngest we've ever had. And the rule causes no problems, just stops a single insisting on going through four ball after fourball on a crammed course. Formalises common sense. And, by the way, I still have my Faldo jumper.

Trapdraw

Medal Winner
Visit site
I’m not talking about the current committee, I’m talking about members. But while you’re on about the committee, I’m struggling to see what they have changed!! Bunkers are still crap, rough is ridiculously long in the summer leading to lots of waiting due to people searching for balls constantly, BRS is a joke the way it is currently used.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
A strange comment in view of the fact that the current committee is probably the youngest we've ever had. And the rule causes no problems, just stops a single insisting on going through four ball after fourball on a crammed course. Formalises common sense. And, by the way, I still have my Faldo jumper.

Your course insists a single player has no standing, to stop them playing through slower groups????

Your course is so wrong on many fronts in my opinion. Glad I don't play there. I work shifts and probably play 50% of my golf on my own at strange times. Then again maybe me teeing off at 1400 on a Wednesday or a Thursday wouldn't effect the course?

Trapdraw

Medal Winner
Visit site
If there is a gap of a hole or more in front of the group I’m behind, wether I’m playing alone, 2ball, 3 ball or 4 ball the group in front should have the decency to let you through.
Some people just will not let you play through, god knows why.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
no reason why you can't go a play on your own, personally i prefer to play with someone else or in a fourball just for competative reasons.

if i do ever ply as a single i tend to play 2 balls and play worse ball and score from there

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Your course insists a single player has no standing, to stop them playing through slower groups????

Your course is so wrong on many fronts in my opinion. Glad I don't play there. I work shifts and probably play 50% of my golf on my own at strange times. Then again maybe me teeing off at 1400 on a Wednesday or a Thursday wouldn't effect the course?
Single players never have a problem if they behave sensibly. A number of our members, me included at times, play alone. We don't tee off at peak times & play parts of the course that aren't busy. To allow a series of single players to disrupt the games of a number of fourballs at peak times is just stupid. It's inefficient use of the course and the rule is there simply to stop single players doing this. On a quiet course they will be allowed through by any sensible members.