One balls

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I play on my own, simply because my timetable is open when I am done.
I do get called through, but sometimes I don’t they just say the group up front is slow.
For me I struggle with the seniors. Some know the rules but others just think they own the course.
Last week they had a competition booked from 08:00- 13:30 which means all daylight hours are occupied because of their pace. Then the next day they had another booking and there was a visiting group.
I made my point to the manager, they should not have such large bookings and their speed needs monitoring. There are others members and just because your below 60 you should not be restricted.
I can see that as a 7 day member because I want to play at the weekend is a bit of a rip off... perhaps the bag tags should be changed and they get priority 😐 that would cause some fun.

D

Deleted member 25172

Only play on my own in the afternoon sometimes when the course isn’t as busy, and jump from hole to hole. If I tee off on an empty hole and I see a group walking up to the tee after me I just wave them through as I’m only practising. If there’s a group in front of me, I take a few extra putts and/or chips onto the green so I don’t get close and put any pressure on them.

Common sense usually work out just fine.

bradleywedge

Visit site
Just back from playing on my own. Course was very wet and lost loads of balls which missed the fairway as the grass hadn't been cut. To be fair they told me in advance it was very wet and suggested I play 3 holes to see how it is and ok to continue to play 9 and pay at the end, which was good of them.

Ended up carrying on to play the full 18 and paid for it after 9 holes. Only saw 1 more group of 2 on the course!

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Challenged by who? Members Club who voted for it or who didn’t vote against it.
Got a couple of Clubs in the NE who have this Local Rule, all probably brought it in after the R&A changed the Rule in 2011.

Any one person can challenge it. It's discriminatory. End of discussion, as soon as you discriminate against 1 person or a body of persons you are on a tight rope.

That's not difficult to understand.

D

Deleted member 16999

Any one person can challenge it. It's discriminatory. End of discussion, as soon as you discriminate against 1 person or a body of persons you are on a tight rope.

That's not difficult to understand.
I’d imagine the R&A wouldn’t allow it as a local rule if it was so controversial, you might be looking too deep in to this.:)

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I think the stigma about 1 balls is ridiculous. Provided the player adheres to the rules and etiquette of the club, doesn't hold up play what's the big deal.

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
What stigma? If a club allows singletons there is no problem. If that single has no standing the suggestion is play off peak or play at peak but don’t plan on disrupting groups by charging through them.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
What stigma? If a club allows singletons there is no problem. If that single has no standing the suggestion is play off peak or play at peak but don’t plan on disrupting groups by charging through them.

Do any singles go out with the plan on "disrupting" groups in front? I can't say that has ever been a thought of mine when playing as a single. I often play as a single after work, or sometimes at weekends depending on my/ partner availability. Often will tag up with someone, but equally happy to play on my todd, especially if I've had a lesson and want to work on something in play rather than the range. The last thing I'm worrying about is disrupting any groups in front. Of course there are times when I catch slower groups up, sometimes they let me through, sometimes they don't. It doesn't usually bother me at all, unless they are not letting me through when they are clearly playing slow or hunting balls etc. and there is no one in front of them. But if they are that obstinate, then I'll just start playing two balls or retake shots into the green, or putts on the green. Either way, I'm still not trying or thinking about disrupting them. We have quite a few single players go out on our course, like myself, usually later in the day, I haven't seen any issues where this is a problem for anyone.

Last edited: