One balls

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
If there is a gap of a hole or more in front of the group I’m behind, wether I’m playing alone, 2ball, 3 ball or 4 ball the group in front should have the decency to let you through.
Some people just will not let you play through, god knows why.
I agree with you & the people I play with will do this. If we are having to wait on every shot, no way! That's why the rule exists.

Griffsters

Hacker
Visit site
Loved going out on my early morning before work in the Summer, also after work when time permitted. It is part of making the most of my membership and I just enjoy it. Its why we play and pay to be a member right? Enjoying it.

Those that say a single players have no standing is nonsense to me, I pay my membership and I'll use the course. As has been said, respect those around you , skip holes etc and everyone is happy. To be fair tho I have never done it at busy times as it just seems like a daft idea!

As ever, the problem is that common sense isn't actually that common and normally centres around an individuals lack of awareness, consideration and a sense of entitlement - in life in general not just on a golf course.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Single players never have a problem if they behave sensibly. A number of our members, me included at times, play alone. We don't tee off at peak times & play parts of the course that aren't busy. To allow a series of single players to disrupt the games of a number of fourballs at peak times is just stupid. It's inefficient use of the course and the rule is there simply to stop single players doing this. On a quiet course they will be allowed through by any sensible members.

They pay the same fees and are absolutely 100% entitled to play at whatever time they choose and do have equal status.

Griffsters

Hacker
Visit site
I reckon most of us need to get better at playing ourselves out of bad lies, restricted swings etc. Just making t a better value practice session IMHO

D

Deleted member 16999

They pay the same fees and are absolutely 100% entitled to play at whatever time they choose and do have equal status.
Unless a course has a Local Rule stating a Single Player has no standing, just as Maninblack’s course does.
I personally don’t agree with anyone having that rule but we know how that discussion goes.................

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Unless a course has a Local Rule stating a Single Player has no standing, just as Maninblack’s course does.
I personally don’t agree with anyone having that rule but we know how that discussion goes.................

A discriminatory rule that puts a single player at a disadvantage. That wouldn't even see a court room should it be challenged.

You pay the same fees you have the same rights.

D

Deleted member 16999

A discriminatory rule that puts a single player at a disadvantage. That wouldn't even see a court room should it be challenged.

You pay the same fees you have the same rights.
Challenged by who? Members Club who voted for it or who didn’t vote against it.
Got a couple of Clubs in the NE who have this Local Rule, all probably brought it in after the R&A changed the Rule in 2011.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Worst that ever happened to me as a one ball was a couple of years ago at Delapre, Northampton. Paid my green fee late in the day, but at the hidden first tee found a queue. Asked a couple of older guys if I could join them and they refused, which is fairly unusual. Had a miserable experience waiting on every shot for the rest of the round. Wouldn't go there again.
There is no doubt that some courses are friendlier than others.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Your course insists a single player has no standing, to stop them playing through slower groups????

Your course is so wrong on many fronts in my opinion. Glad I don't play there. I work shifts and probably play 50% of my golf on my own at strange times. Then again maybe me teeing off at 1400 on a Wednesday or a Thursday wouldn't effect the course?
No! To stop them insisting on being let through - thus 'inconveniencing' up to 4 other members in each of, potentially, several/many groups! Of course, the other parts of that ettiquete, re losing a hole..., should still apply.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Worst that ever happened to me as a one ball was a couple of years ago at Delapre, Northampton. Paid my green fee late in the day, but at the hidden first tee found a queue. Asked a couple of older guys if I could join them and they refused, which is fairly unusual. Had a miserable experience waiting on every shot for the rest of the round. Wouldn't go there again.
There is no doubt that some courses are friendlier than others.
Maybe they knew (of) you! ;)
Why didn't you simply start from a different tee eg 10th - or return to wherever you paid and discuss the dilemna?

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I’ll often go out on my own, I try and go when it’s not busy though and jump around a bit to stay out of peoples way.
Drop a few balls down around a green and work on a few things etc.
I much prefer to play with others for a bit of competition though.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Just been on my own, following a 3 ball. I felt slightly uncomfortable on the par 3s feeling I put a bit of pressure onto them, but on anything longer it was OK. I hope they didn't feel pressured. I didn't want to be let through, didn't get the opportunity because I spent some time searching balls. I went just to the 9 hole course which wasn't bunched up but it wasn't empty either.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Maybe they knew (of) you! ;)
Why didn't you simply start from a different tee eg 10th - or return to wherever you paid and discuss the dilemna?
It was a mistake to continue. I'd advise any one ball to see how busy the course is first. At Delapre it's not easy to do that. I was hoping to play the 9 hole course but found it closed.
Think it might have something to do with Northampton not being the friendliest of places. There are quite of lot of Scots in the area.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
It was a mistake to continue. I'd advise any one ball to see how busy the course is first. At Delapre it's not easy to do that. I was hoping to play the 9 hole course but found it closed.
Think it might have something to do with Northampton not being the friendliest of places. There are quite of lot of Scots in the area.
you just can't help yourself can you?

Nurse hes out again:ROFLMAO:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
The only 'single has no standing' courses I know of are tourist/resort courses

I suppose they need to max the green fees and a single might simply be seen as a loss of revenue ( plus if a single was 'pushing' through several groups it might not be welcomed by the tourists and negatively impact their experience)