Old Clubs

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I went looking in the shed for something earlier, and stumbled across my old clubs, so I thought I'd put some pics up to laugh at.

As a youngster with no inclination to get up at silly o'clock in the freezing cold to deliver newspapers, I never really had much money.

Since it was way before the days of Golfbidder and Ebay, pro shops and golf shops would re-sell 2nd hand clubs that were traded in. That was what I chose from.
I'd pick the least banged-up set that my budget would stretch to, so no big names involved.
I think these cost me £30 for 3-SW.

I seem to remember that Petron were a budget brand, and I'm sure that the writing on the clubs just happened to be the buzzwords that were going round at the time rather than any meaningful technology.

Sorry for rambling, they just brought back some good memories.

I should also mention that I had my best ever round with these, so what does that say for my shiny new clubs!!

77aaaa63.jpg

f0aca64d.jpg

de1e20bf.jpg

barum_blue

Club Champion
Visit site
Great memories looking at those pics - I too did many a paper round and caddying at the local club to scrape enough money to buy my clubs.

I used to dream of buying a set of "Petrons" or McGregors - I thought Petrons were the absolute biz in 1979!! couldnt remember them being a budget brand.

When I look at the youngsters these days and all the kit they have it makes me laugh but good luck to them - I would love to see them hit some of the C**p I used to have in my tatty old golf bag.

Mind you these days I have a policy of getting whatever I want when it come to golf perhaps because I could never afford much when I was younger.

I think any hobby that gives so much pleasure so a few hundred on a club is more than justified I reckon when you see guys spending 'ooo's on Boats, Cars or other Hobbys.