Nomads to get official handicaps

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Latest from EG

Good afternoon.

Welcome to the latest club update on the development of an independent golfer connectivity platform.

When launched, this platform will offer non-members of golf clubs an official handicap index and personal liability insurance.

The initial aim is to inspire golfers to play more often and to increase the connection between an avid, independent golfer and their local club/facility.

We will create a best-in-class platform with the ultimate goal of educating independent golfers on the value of golf club membership and inspiring them to follow this pathway to greater participation.​

How is feedback being gathered?

England Golf staff continue to reach out to stakeholders across the country to gather constructive feedback on the new connectivity platform.

Positive discussions were held this week with three different groups.

• Yorkshire Ladies’ Association – delegates from around 100 clubs took part in an online forum.
  • Somerset Men’s County Union – circa 30 delegates from clubs were represented at the virtual meeting.
  • GCMA – chief executive Tom Brooke updated on the GCMA’s working party which has been set up to represent the views of golf club managers.

Impact on existing flexible memberships

One question arising from this week’s discussions was: With good value, flexible membership already a standard in many golf clubs is there a need for the connectivity platform?

The answer sought to reassure clubs of the mutual benefits of the new independent golfer scheme.

• The benefits of club membership, including flexible and lifestyle schemes already in place at clubs, will offer many more benefits to golfers than the independent golfer connectivity platform.
  • Options for golfers should complement one another rather than compete.
  • The platform will be designed to encourage independent golfers to move towards club membership rather than work in the opposite direction.

Club competitions and the independent golfer

With county and national events remaining open to golf club members only, clubs were also keen to discover to what extent they were expected to engage with independent golfers at club events.

Again, England Golf was able to set out clear answers.

• Engagement with independent golfers and entry to club events is entirely at the club’s discretion.
  • For some clubs, providing competitive opportunities for independent golfers may present a way of showcasing facilities, membership and increasing visitor spend.
  • Alternatively, clubs may choose to have limited or no connection with independent golfers.
  • Terms of competition remain in control of the host club – this will not be directed by England Golf.

Follow us

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site

Latest from EG

Good afternoon.

Welcome to the latest club update on the development of an independent golfer connectivity platform.

When launched, this platform will offer non-members of golf clubs an official handicap index and personal liability insurance.

The initial aim is to inspire golfers to play more often and to increase the connection between an avid, independent golfer and their local club/facility.

We will create a best-in-class platform with the ultimate goal of educating independent golfers on the value of golf club membership and inspiring them to follow this pathway to greater participation.​

How is feedback being gathered?

England Golf staff continue to reach out to stakeholders across the country to gather constructive feedback on the new connectivity platform.

Positive discussions were held this week with three different groups.

• Yorkshire Ladies’ Association – delegates from around 100 clubs took part in an online forum.
  • Somerset Men’s County Union – circa 30 delegates from clubs were represented at the virtual meeting.
  • GCMA – chief executive Tom Brooke updated on the GCMA’s working party which has been set up to represent the views of golf club managers.

Impact on existing flexible memberships

One question arising from this week’s discussions was: With good value, flexible membership already a standard in many golf clubs is there a need for the connectivity platform?

The answer sought to reassure clubs of the mutual benefits of the new independent golfer scheme.

• The benefits of club membership, including flexible and lifestyle schemes already in place at clubs, will offer many more benefits to golfers than the independent golfer connectivity platform.
  • Options for golfers should complement one another rather than compete.
  • The platform will be designed to encourage independent golfers to move towards club membership rather than work in the opposite direction.

Club competitions and the independent golfer

With county and national events remaining open to golf club members only, clubs were also keen to discover to what extent they were expected to engage with independent golfers at club events.

Again, England Golf was able to set out clear answers.

• Engagement with independent golfers and entry to club events is entirely at the club’s discretion.
  • For some clubs, providing competitive opportunities for independent golfers may present a way of showcasing facilities, membership and increasing visitor spend.
  • Alternatively, clubs may choose to have limited or no connection with independent golfers.
  • Terms of competition remain in control of the host club – this will not be directed by England Golf.

Follow us

Very interesting thread, please keep the updates coming!

So far I think the system sounds great. I dont think many clubs will allow nomads into opens etc, mine wouldn't, but I could be wrong!

If people want to abuse it - fine with me. It would only ever be to lower their handicap, and in doing so, would only harm their own scores - so crack on.

Ive got mates that play 10ish rounds a year that would happily pay £30-40 for a handicap facility to just feel like theyre playing the same game as the actual "golfers" in our group. At the moment we might give them 28 to play off in a stableford, if that should actually be 40 then so be it - so long as they can prove it :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Swango1980

Visit site
Very interesting thread, please keep the updates coming!

So far I think the system sounds great. I dont think many clubs will allow nomads into opens etc, mine wouldn't, but I could be wrong!

If people want to abuse it - fine with me. It would only ever be to lower their handicap, and in doing so, would only harm their own scores - so crack on.

Ive got mates that play 10ish rounds a year that would happily pay £30-40 for a handicap facility to just feel like theyre playing the same game as the actual "golfers" in our group. At the moment we might give them 28 to play off in a stableford, if that should actually be 40 then so be it - so long as they can prove it :ROFLMAO:
Are you sure? Surely it is just as easy to enter a load of dodgy scores that are too high as it is to enter a load of scores that are too low? A player could have 3or 4 of their best 8 scores that are their oldest in the last 20. Quickly entering 3 or for fresh high scores, suddenly their handicap could go up a reasonable amount. Just before entering a nice big Open

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Apparently there will be software in place that will look at anomalies in scores returned along with other requirements for returned scores. No doubt there will be some abuse but no more than currently goes on.
Having spent my carear in the IT industry whenever anyone say "the software will prevent / sort / fix this" I shudder!

Will there be worse abuse than previously? Before WHS yes, post-WHS I doubt it.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Are you sure? Surely it is just as easy to enter a load of dodgy scores that are too high as it is to enter a load of scores that are too low? A player could have 3or 4 of their best 8 scores that are their oldest in the last 20. Quickly entering 3 or for fresh high scores, suddenly their handicap could go up a reasonable amount. Just before entering a nice big Open

You're rather naive if you believe that, obviously a far too honest fellow ?

Id expect any open to not include entry to nomads. Or have a seperate trophy. Join a club for the benefit of playing opens - just my opinion.

If the above is the case, a nomads handicap wont ever effect me, so I dont care what they do to manipulate it.

sunshine

Visit site
Prestigious events are all scratch so bandits have no impact anyway.

For handicap events it makes sense to restrict entry to members of an affiliated club.

D-S

Visit site
If you can’t play in any Opens, I can’t see many paying £40 just to get a handicap you that you can’t use in competition (because no one will let you in).

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Id expect any open to not include entry to nomads. Or have a seperate trophy. Join a club for the benefit of playing opens - just my opinion.

If the above is the case, a nomads handicap wont ever effect me, so I dont care what they do to manipulate it.

Depends on the comp, if it’s something like a charity day then nomads can be accommodated like away players by having separate prizes.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
England Golf Senior Series used to have a H/cap limit of 24 or 28, can't remember which but is now open up to 54 :eek:........ BUT no IG's. Have to be a Club member.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
If you can’t play in any Opens, I can’t see many paying £40 just to get a handicap you that you can’t use in competition (because no one will let you in).
I've been pondering this for a few days too...
Unless clubs are going to run a Nomad prize alongside the normal prizes at Opens..where are these handicaps going to be used?
It sounds like many, maybe most, clubs won't allow Nomad handicaps into their Opens. Are there going to be enough nomads to warrant a prize?
With handicap tracking apps that can do the work unofficially, the number that might take up the Nomad handicap appears to be not that large..
Could this turn out to be a massive waste of time and money?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've been pondering this for a few days too...
Unless clubs are going to run a Nomad prize alongside the normal prizes at Opens..where are these handicaps going to be used?
It sounds like many, maybe most, clubs won't allow Nomad handicaps into their Opens. Are there going to be enough nomads to warrant a prize?
With handicap tracking apps that can do the work unofficially, the number that might take up the Nomad handicap appears to be not that large..
Could this turn out to be a massive waste of time and money?

If clubs put barriers up rather than embrace it, then of course it will be, sadly thats a short priced favourite and weve seen today how they do ;)

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
If clubs put barriers up rather than embrace it, then of course it will be, sadly thats a short priced favourite and weve seen today how they do ;)
Some clubs will use it as a marketing tool, some will like the green fees where HC limits might be in place and there is also the issue that nomad membership will also give members insurance cover the same as affiliated members.

D-S

Visit site
Some clubs will use it as a marketing tool, some will like the green fees where HC limits might be in place and there is also the issue that nomad membership will also give members insurance cover the same as affiliated members.
You can already join clubs in the South West for less than £40 and get a WHS handicap, access to that clubs comps and Opens elsewhere, County Card and EG insurance etc. Still don’t understand why a nomad wouldn’t do this instead of this limited EG scheme with no County card limited comp access etc.