Nomads to get official handicaps

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Know more than fees that are in operation now between members and visitors to opens, just adding a third layer to a pricing structure.

Tbh... It was more the green fee difference you were getting at.

Wasnt really talking about the opens.

Just thought as this is being pushed by the organisations that it is, then clubs would be having to accommodate and not throw obstacles in the way....

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Tbh... It was more the green fee difference you were getting at.

Wasnt really talking about the opens.

Just thought as this is being pushed by the organisations that it is, then clubs would be having to accommodate and not throw obstacles in the way....

The organization, I presume in this instance you mean EG, made it clear that it would be up to clubs to decide how they want to deal with this. It’s is the fees paid by members at clubs that allow the EG to operate.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It is thought that you could split Cubs into 3 categories:

Clubs who won’t be catering for nomads and because of the prestige of the club won’t be affected
Clubs who will look at nomads as a marketing tool
Clubs who could well go under with members leaving in numbers that will make the club unsustainable
Yes their could be big market opportunities for increasing the coaching market. Something our Club owners will grab as during lock-down they've employed 2 more Pros & had 3 Swing Studios built. I'm sure they'll embrace the Nomads.... bid benefits possible if managed correctly.

sunshine

Visit site
I think when you consider the difference between prize money in men vs women tennis then a bunch of weekend hackers are covered

Tennis - the grand slam events give equal prize money to men and women. Are you saying this is discrimination? ;)

fragar7

Visit site
Not if you put a few quid/drinks on the result!
'Vanity' handicaps may be 'good' over a beer/wine', but could well mean funding the beers/wines too!
Not if you put a few quid/drinks on the result!
'Vanity' handicaps may be 'good' over a beer/wine', but could well mean funding the beers/wines too!
The minimal profit on a few drinks doesn't go far to pay the cost of a replacement fairway mower at 47K !

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
The minimal profit on a few drinks doesn't go far to pay the cost of a replacement fairway mower at 47K !
I'm not certain how you connect players with vanity handicaps to a club having to replace mowers! Presumably, it's because of possible loss of members - who become nomads (but with WHS handicaps). That being the case...

It's up to clubs to ensure they are attractive enough for folk to want to become/continue to be members and operate profitably! I know mine operates that way - utilising the facilities it has for non-golf commercial activities, without golf operations suffering. And the green fees from nomads certainly help too!

If clubs aren't run fairly 'commercially', my belief is that they deserve to go under!

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
There is another side to this. It is possible that someone becomes a “nomad” or similar, due to course closures and the lack of viable “proper golf club” alternatives in the catchment area. There is every chance of this happening in the Horsham / Crawley / Gatwick district of West Sussex. In the next 5 years the following courses could be closed:
Cottesmore, Rookwood, Ifield and Haywards Heath, all due to Housing developments. Mannings Heath will shut the remaining 9 holes of the Kingfisher course and Horsham Golf is rumoured to reduce to 9 holes.
That means there could be a lot of golfers looking for a new club, and options are severely limited.
Answer - look at being an EG nomad, or joining somewhere further afield on their cheapest or flexible membership.

D

Deleted member 15344

That sounds superb for me, will for sure transfer my handicap for the £40.00, to be able to upload scores from different courses, easily via an app. Wont change my memberships as such.

Be nice to see where my handicap ends up with more scorecards.

If you are a member of a club then you don’t need to do - it will be part of your membership fees already

D

Deleted member 21258

If you are a member of a club then you don’t need to do - it will be part of your membership fees already

Is there a way to upload away social round cards via an app now ? What app do I have to use, thanks that would be great ?

D

Deleted member 15344

Is there a way to upload away social round cards via an app now ? What app do I have to use, thanks that would be great ?

At th moment there is no way for anyone to up away scores at away clubs - even the EG app doesn’t allow it

But the ISVs etc have looked at scores being uploaded via your current AP ( IG etc )

But even if you need to use the EG App that will be paid as part of your membership as opposed to you having a seperate payment

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
At th moment there is no way for anyone to up away scores at away clubs - even the EG app doesn’t allow it

But the ISVs etc have looked at scores being uploaded via your current AP ( IG etc )

But even if you need to use the EG App that will be paid as part of your membership as opposed to you having a seperate payment
The EG app feature will be released very shortly.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
There is another side to this. It is possible that someone becomes a “nomad” or similar, due to course closures and the lack of viable “proper golf club” alternatives in the catchment area. There is every chance of this happening in the Horsham / Crawley / Gatwick district of West Sussex. In the next 5 years the following courses could be closed:
Cottesmore, Rookwood, Ifield and Haywards Heath, all due to Housing developments. Mannings Heath will shut the remaining 9 holes of the Kingfisher course and Horsham Golf is rumoured to reduce to 9 holes.
That means there could be a lot of golfers looking for a new club, and options are severely limited.
Answer - look at being an EG nomad, or joining somewhere further afield on their cheapest or flexible membership.
It is crazy that a town the size of Crawley may well end up with just 1 single golf course.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Just slightly more than the number of airports it will end up having.......
No, I'm not too worried about Gatwick. Easyjet are there for the long haul - we just need to get through this horrid situation. When we do, people will be so eager to travel, there will be a little bit of a holiday boom. I think regional airports will be the ones worst hit from this.

sunshine

Visit site
No, I'm not too worried about Gatwick. Easyjet are there for the long haul - we just need to get through this horrid situation. When we do, people will be so eager to travel, there will be a little bit of a holiday boom. I think regional airports will be the ones worst hit from this.

Pedantry corner:
I think you'll find easyjet uses Gatwick for short haul only :LOL: