New rules at golf club - am I right to be annoyed?

shun_naka

Club Champion
Visit site
Currently Saturday competitions are played all day Saturday with an overspill Sunday morning.

Competition tee times are first come first served, tee times become available at 7pm on a Monday. But they’re now changing it to only over a Saturday only, with a draw for tee times taking place in person at the clubhouse midweek

My issue is that a four or min three ball has to be pre agreed, and a member from that four ball attends the in person draw to get their groups time for that Saturday.

I think this totally excludes new members like me who don’t have a regular four ball and just means no one will get to meet anyone else at the club. I think it’s a really rubbish rule (that’s only been changed two weeks after I joined) but not sure what I can do. I’ve emailed the club sec saying I don’t have a four or three ball so what do I do? They said they can try and find a three ball for me to join but that still doesn’t feel that great

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
No, this doesn't feel right at all.

Encouraging people to gather in the clubhouse in the middle of a pandemic is at best, clumsy...

This isn't inclusive, I'd petition a change back to how it was.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In these current times, that's a shocking arrangement to implement. The method of weekend booking would be one of the most important factors for me joining a different Club. So for them to now change it is out of order unless they can cater for new members like yourself. We have first come first served on the BRS...... doesn't work for everyone but, to me, is one of the fairest arrangements.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Gathering members together in the current circumstances aside (and what a major aside) - how on earth does your club think they can expect, if not mandate, one of a group of four members to be able to be at your clubhouse in person midweek.

shun_naka

Club Champion
Visit site
Gathering members together in the current circumstances aside (and what a major aside) - how on earth does your club think they can expect, if not mandate, one of a group of four members to be able to be at your clubhouse in person midweek.

That’s the crux of the matter. To be it sounds like a bunch of old timers/long standing members of the club have been annoyed new and younger members have been quicker off the mark on the BRS system and they haven’t been able to keep up - so they’re making it as inconvenient as possible for people to get a spot

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That’s the crux of the matter. To be it sounds like a bunch of old timers/long standing members of the club have been annoyed new and younger members have been quicker off the mark on the BRS system and they haven’t been able to keep up - so they’re making it as inconvenient as possible for people to get a spot
I think you may have got it there!!

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Currently Saturday competitions are played all day Saturday with an overspill Sunday morning.

Competition tee times are first come first served, tee times become available at 7pm on a Monday. But they’re now changing it to only over a Saturday only, with a draw for tee times taking place in person at the clubhouse midweek

My issue is that a four or min three ball has to be pre agreed, and a member from that four ball attends the in person draw to get their groups time for that Saturday.

I think this totally excludes new members like me who don’t have a regular four ball and just means no one will get to meet anyone else at the club. I think it’s a really rubbish rule (that’s only been changed two weeks after I joined) but not sure what I can do. I’ve emailed the club sec saying I don’t have a four or three ball so what do I do? They said they can try and find a three ball for me to join but that still doesn’t feel that great

Completely agree.

In my experience, clubs have a habit of adapting to suit members requests. Often this is done innocently enough and of course there is no one system that will suit everyone. But of course, it's usually the longer standing members who might shout the loudest and have their requests accepted.

Of course many golfers have a short sighted view about their game and 'we always play at 0830 and have done for 28 years' etc. and ultimately new members are frozen out unless they can find a way in to some of these groups.

But in terms of getting medal times, it should be 1 member, 1 time, 1st come, 1st served - enter a ballot or zoned draw.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think you've hit the nail on the head, and it's outrageously poor. I'd be straight on the phone to them saying that that wasn't what I paid my money for and if I couldn't get a game then they won't get another penny out of me and that would be that.
...They said they can try and find a three ball for me to join but that still doesn’t feel that great
I really don't like that 'try and find' lingo, it makes it sound like they're really not bothered about their new members at all.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Shocking from the club on many levels. I would be raising it as strongly as possible. Bottom line though is they won't change (at least for now) which leaves you in the unenviable situation on relying on the club, which at best sounds hit and moss or missing out on comps/games. I would seriously be considering my membership option and looking elsewhere

D

Deleted member 16999

Is it a members Club or propietary owned.

Clubs have had to change/adapt a lot over this crisis and maybe looking after the majority is taking priority.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I agree it’s not the best for anyone. However if you were able to be put in with a 3ball, could you not ask Them if you could join them each week (hoping you like them) at least until normality returns for everything?

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

Sounds about right, and no doubt the committee also see this as a good way to get some extra revenue behind the bar.

I'm sure the majority of members would be opposed to that arrangement, hopefully there are plenty complaints going in and it will get reversed.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Does make me wonder about the committee of this club or the members representation on a proprietary club. If it was not sorted immediately I’d be gathering signatures demanding an EGM considering the competency and fitness to continue of whatever committee or individual made the decision. If nothing else the process is discriminatory.

shun_naka

Club Champion
Visit site
This new system kicks in for the first time on Saturday, and I'm hoping it'll be shown then how bad of is. My reckoning is there will be about 50% of tee times taken and the rest free. With the BRS not working for this date most members will call up asking what's going on and complain that way

D

Deleted member 16999

This new system kicks in for the first time on Saturday, and I'm hoping it'll be shown then how bad of is. My reckoning is there will be about 50% of tee times taken and the rest free. With the BRS not working for this date most members will call up asking what's going on and complain that way
If the draw is midweek, why will people wait until saturday? Surely they’ll be checking from after the draw.

Once all entrants are catered for the rest of the day should be available for members to book.

From your Club Facebook Page:

Continuation of the good news:

3. We have decided to revert to the Saturday tee time draw in a bid to get all Saturday competition golf played on the Saturday. The next tee time draw will be on Thursday 16th July, effective for competitions from Saturday 25th July. The following must be strictly adhered to: only one member from each fourball to attend, come to the front foyer and give the names of your fourball, collect your ticket, provide your phone number and return to your vehicle. After the draw, someone will either come to your vehicle or phone you re your time. Draw will start at 7.30pm sharp, anyone arriving after this time will not get a ticket. We appreciate this is not an ideal situation and thank you for your co-operation.

The above is not exactly as described in your op!

A lot of replies on here seem to be making some unfair assumptions about what appears to be a highly rated, pro-active Club going by the website and facebook pages it runs, all comments are based on the information you are supplying.

Your Club also reports having over 70 new members! Have you thought of doing some leg work and getting to know some of them who maybe in the same position as you?

Last edited by a moderator:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
If the draw is midweek, why will people wait until saturday? Surely they’ll be checking from after the draw.

Once all entrants are catered for the rest of the day should be available for members to book.

3. We have decided to revert to the Saturday tee time draw in a bid to get all Saturday competition golf played on the Saturday. The next tee time draw will be on Thursday 16th July, effective for competitions from Saturday 25th July. The following must be strictly adhered to: only one member from each fourball to attend, come to the front foyer and give the names of your fourball, collect your ticket, provide your phone number and return to your vehicle. After the draw, someone will either come to your vehicle or phone you re your time. Draw will start at 7.30pm sharp, anyone arriving after this time will not get a ticket. We appreciate this is not an ideal situation and thank you for your co-operation.

A lot of replies on here seem to be making some unfair assumptions about what appears to be a highly rated, pro-active Club going by the website and facebook pages it runs, all comments are based on the information you are supplying.

Your Club also reports having over 70 new members! Have you thought of doing some leg work and getting to know some of them who maybe in the same position as you?
True - though assumptions based upon information provided. In any case, this may not be the case if entry to the competition closes before the draw is made. It may therefore not be possible to enter the comp after the closing date unless you get the comp administrator to get you entered. And that would be a bit of a faff. The issue seems to have been driven by the need to have a draw for tee times.

In that case why not just have all groups stick their names down on any tee time for the competition. Once entry is closed the comp organiser takes all groups entered - does a draw on tee times. Administrator then let's the first in each group know of his group's tee time, or does an Administrator reassignment of groups to their drawn tee time and players just look to see the tee time they've ended up with.

shun_naka

Club Champion
Visit site

Actually I never mentioned in my post how the draw was being carried out (Coronavirus concerns weren't my issue)

The point of having no BRS and a four ball only draw still remains - not sure what I've posted is any different from what is above

I'd gladly meet the other new members - not sure how I can do that with the clubhouse being shut and Saturday competitions being limited to pre agreed four balls only?

D

Deleted member 16999

True - though assumptions based upon information provided. In any case, this may not be the case if entry to the competition closes before the draw is made. It may therefore not be possible to enter the comp after the closing date unless you get the comp administrator to get you entered. And that would be a bit of a faff. The issue seems to have been driven by the need to have a draw for tee times.

In that case why not just have all groups stick their names down on any tee time for the competition. Once entry is closed the comp organiser takes all groups entered - does a draw on tee times. Administrator then let's the first in each group know of his group's tee time, or does an Administrator reassignment of groups to their drawn tee time and players just look to see the tee time they've ended up with.
Book for non-comp play. (y)

The rules to enter the Comp are clearly laid down and straightforward on their Social Media sites.