New lockdown will courses close?

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
I think you maybe either misreading or deliberately misinterpreted what’s being said but I’ll clarify

I believe a full national wide restrictions was wrong and should have stayed locally , I’m not happy that we can’t play golf for 4 weeks

But i believe starting a petition to make golf exempt from the restrictions was wrong for a number of reasons

It’s an awful situation right now with the pandemic , death rates and infection rates are on the increase once again and the government believe it’s time to try stronger measures and surely it’s our responsibility to do our bit to help as opposed to throwing toys out of the cot demanding that we can still play our sport because there appears to be a belief that gold is totally immune to the virus. It’s 4 weeks to try and help , reduce the traffic , reduce the movement , help in anyway we can for a small amount of time in the hope that we help get people through a hard winter ahead .

Yes it’s harsh , yes it’s outdoors where the risk is lower but that doesn’t mean we should be exempt from helping out and doing our bit

and youre overstating it, no ones throwing toys (well maybe 1 or 2 ;) ) The EGU are asking the goverment to reconsider golf as it can be played safely. If we allowed then great, if not no probnlem either.

This pandemic has bought the best but also sadly the worst out of people.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Personally no. I can't justify it as essential travel.

I see this a lot different from lockdown 1.0

We know about the virus a bit, this is a work from home if you can anyone else if we haven't told you to shut you can open (ie Car garages for services etc) workplaces are now covid "secure" or whatever they call it

Schools open

I don't think the roads will be as quiet as last time

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
and youre overstating it, no ones throwing toys (well maybe 1 or 2 ;) ) The EGU are asking the goverment to reconsider golf as it can be played safely. If we allowed then great, if not no probnlem either.

That's exactly how I see it

Ask the question .. if they say no fair enough we asked respect the decision ..

This was obviously rushed through at the last minute.. so things might get overlooked

It's like at work you always go on the side of safety. If someone jumps on the track you whip off all the sections of current in the area. Once you get more information you put back on the ones that are safe. Don't keep them off just because you can

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site

But why take up valuable government time by having to consider golf, and no doubt loads of other sports who believe they have a case for exemption, when the government has far more important things to try and deal with.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
But why take up valuable government time by having to consider golf, and no doubt loads of other sports who believe they have a case for exemption, when the government has far more important things to try and deal with.

Another one overstating it, you'd think we were asking for 2 weeks of parlimentary time to debate it! WHen the reality is the goverments dedicated:
Department for
Digital, Culture,
Media & Sport

Will be able to decide on it.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
If you can keep people off the furlough scheme and have less chance of redundancy, all whilst operating a business that can stay open safely, then it massively helps the country and current government.

D

Deleted member 16999

Another one overstating it, you'd think we were asking for 2 weeks of parlimentary time to debate it! WHen the reality is the goverments dedicated:
Department for
Digital, Culture,
Media & Sport

Will be able to decide on it.
Whether he is in your opinion “Another one overstating it” the ”fact” the Department you listed won’t be able to decide on it as that’s not how Petitions to the UK Government work.
https://petition.parliament.uk/help

eddie_1878

Visit site
Closing courses won’t make a jot of difference to infection or death rates. If anyone can demonstrate a reasonable level of risk to justify closing them, then I’ll eat my hat.

Closing courses, or indeed any other extremely low-risk activity, ‘just because’ is ridiculous and lazy.

Schools and universities are breeding grounds for COVID, but they’ll stay open! Let’s be honest if your priority is to put a stop to the virus, then this is farcical. My daughter had a month of online classes this year and it worked just fine after some teething problems. All for shortening next years summer holidays if there’s been a genuine negative impact as a result of home learning.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Whether he is in your opinion “Another one overstating it” the ”fact” the Department you listed won’t be able to decide on it as that’s not how Petitions to the UK Government work.
https://petition.parliament.uk/help

The petiton is irrelevant. The government are looking at a number of sports and will update further if there are to be changes. Golf is not alone in wanting to carry on.

D

Deleted member 16999

The petiton is irrelevant. The government are looking at a number of sports and will update further if there are to be changes. Golf is not alone in wanting to carry on.
They are not only looking at it due to one reason, it is numerous and one of those will be the petition, they can’t ignore their own rules.

This will of massively backed the CEO’s letter.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
actually you’re wrong I was off work for 2 month with anxiety about 5 years ago.

I’ve also lost more than 1 friend to suicide in the past 12 months.

The people you can play golf with you can go for a walk with. That’s what I mean. Golf is no different to any other sport, why should we be treated different.
That’s not quite true.
Golf is unique in sport .
It’s non contact.
Nobody else touches your ball unlike most ball sports.
Nobody touches your equipment.
This makes it easy to play solo.
While I am not that bothered this time of the year it’s important for some people to just get out.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Closing courses won’t make a jot of difference to infection or death rates. If anyone can demonstrate a reasonable level of risk to justify closing them, then I’ll eat my hat.

Closing courses, or indeed any other extremely low-risk activity, ‘just because’ is ridiculous and lazy.

Schools and universities are breeding grounds for COVID, but they’ll stay open! Let’s be honest if your priority is to put a stop to the virus, then this is farcical. My daughter had a month of online classes this year and it worked just fine after some teething problems. All for shortening next years summer holidays if there’s been a genuine negative impact as a result of home learning.

Education trumps everything in my opinion.

If other activities need to stoop to allow education to continue then so be it.

The number of adults behaving like spoilt children throwing a tantrum is embarrassing.

eddie_1878

Visit site
Education trumps everything in my opinion.

If other activities need to stoop to allow education to continue then so be it.

The number of adults behaving like spoilt children throwing a tantrum is embarrassing.

What bearing do other activities, such as golf, have on education though? Neither go hand in hand. If one is absolute bare minimum risk and gets closed whilst the other is highest risk in terms of transmitting the virus, but remains open, then it’s fair to question the governments reasoning.

Children don’t HAVE to attend school to do their work. I’m fairly strict in ensuring my daughter is both doing her work and being set enough of it to aid development. When doing her classes at home, if anything she had more to do. Teachers were on hand to support, it worked well in a tough situation.

Not sure I’ve seen many tantrums but I don’t see any issue in people challenging decisions which don’t stand to reason. It’s like when authorities or the like quote ‘safety reasons’ as a blanket reason for method of control. If you don’t agree it’s fair to ask the question at the very least.

As I said if they can demonstrate a reasonable risk to ANY activity as justification to putting a temporary ban on it, then fair enough. ‘Just because’ doesn’t cut it for me.

jmf1488

Club Champion
Visit site
During the first lockdown the courses were open for exercise.

This lockdown if golf doesn't get an exemption you will be able to meet up with a friend in your bubble. You both will be able to travel to the club and walk every hole as many times as you want. So long as you don't have a club and ball in your hand.

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site

This lockdown if golf doesn't get an exemption you will be able to meet up with a friend in your bubble. You both will be able to travel to the club and walk every hole as many times as you want. So long as you don't have a club and ball in your hand.

club and ball in your hand at the same time ? :oops:

D

Deleted member 15344

All courses were closed during the first lockdown until May when restrictions were eased to allow some sport

jmf1488

Club Champion
Visit site
All courses were closed during the first lockdown until May when restrictions were eased to allow some sport

Courses where I am were open to people walking. My club sent emails out when they started treating the fairways with chemicals, told people to stay off them when walking pets.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think the courses will stay shut to avoid the "cummings effect".

If people are to comply with the lock down they need to see everyone treated the same.

They shut the courses in R.Ireland and Wales. England will likely be no different.

Not that I agree with this. Its just what I think will happen.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I think the courses will stay shut to avoid the "cummings effect".

If people are to comply with the lock down they need to see everyone treated the same.

They shut the courses in R.Ireland and Wales. England will likely be no different.

Not that I agree with this. Its just what I think will happen.
I think you're probably right..but you don't get if you don't ask..;)