New Drivers 2020

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Just been and had a hit with both the new SIM driver & 3 wood, and Cobra Speedzone driver & 3 wood. Currently I have an M2, so was really surprised to find that I didn't like the feel of the SIM at all, both clubs just felt heavy in my hands compared to the M2 and the Speedzone. They do look nice at address ;) but they just didn't cut it for me in the swing stakes. The Cobra clubs also look great at address, and felt a lot nicer to swing for me. It didn't help that tennis elbow has meant a lot of rest over the last few weeks, so I was swinging a bit like a baboon with some old swing habits creeping back in. It also didn't help that I warmed up with my M2 and the first shot of the day ripped 289 yds straight, although I failed miserably to replicate that on any subsequent shot with any of the drivers. The Cobra edged the two for average distance, coming in around 260yds on average against 240yds in the SIM, even with an unusual cutty swing today - my normal shot is a draw/ pull. As I said, the Cobra was much lighter, so the cut ties in with what I was told beforehand, that some people that hit draws were struggling a bit to get the face closed at impact. I'll go back and have another hit before buying - they're not actually available until next month anyway, but the Cobra's are damn sexy looking, and really crying out to me.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
I played a 13º Titleist PT #2-metalwood off the tee for so long that when it came time to buy new clubs, the 460cc drivers looked like something from outer space. The address position is a much different view than watching others play it. They're very upright for their length, so the toe points to the sky at address.

I settled on a 275 cc TaylorMade 13.5º driver which still looked huge but manageable.
It's called "The Original One" but that's just a name--it's nothing like "The Original One" from 1980 which was the same size as my PTs..
I'm happy with it. It drives the ball at least as well as i can.

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I played a 13º Titleist PT #2-metalwood off the tee for so long that when it came time to buy new clubs, the 460cc drivers looked like something from outer space. The address position is a much different view than watching others play it. They're very upright for their length, so the toe points to the sky at address.

I settled on a 275 cc TaylorMade 13.5º driver which still looked huge but manageable.
It's called "The Original One" but that's just a name--it's nothing like "The Original One" from 1980 which was the same size as my PTs..
I'm happy with it. It drives the ball at least as well as i can.
The bigger the face the easier it is to hit though?

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
The bigger the face the easier it is to hit though?

The bigger the face, the higher one must tee up the ball and thus the further forward one must play it in one's stance.
My normal shot shape is a tight little draw.
Trying out the big driver, I was all over the place.

It's a great club, I suppose, if you can hit it.
But from the members' tees at our club, the course is 6007 yard long.
I can live without the 460cc driver.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I just love hitting a driver. Realise everyone's different but I can't understand when people say they'd rather hit something with a smaller face. I find it comforting to hit driver with it's massive head, you can't miss! :LOL: On the last round I played I hit driver 13 times. (No provisionals before you say it. ;))

D

Deleted member 1147

P
The bigger the face, the higher one must tee up the ball and thus the further forward one must play it in one's stance.
My normal shot shape is a tight little draw.
Trying out the big driver, I was all over the place.

It's a great club, I suppose, if you can hit it.
But from the members' tees at our club, the course is 6007 yard long.
I can live without the 460cc driver.
Actually you can tee the large drivers down and they are fine, in fact my coach reckons most amateurs tee the ball too high.
I only tee it as high as the White Castle tees (approx 1 inch)., and I’ve been driving better than ever since changing to a lower tee.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
P

Actually you can tee the large drivers down and they are fine, in fact my coach reckons most amateurs tee the ball too high.
I only tee it as high as the White Castle tees (approx 1 inch)., and I’ve been driving better than ever since changing to a lower tee.
When I did my fitting he quickly told me I was teeing it too high. I'd started doing it as a remedy for hitting it thin, but as a result I was getting far too much spin.

D

Deleted member 1147

When I did my fitting he quickly told me I was teeing it too high. I'd started doing it as a remedy for hitting it thin, but as a result I was getting far too much spin.
My coach told me that he’s noticed amateurs often hit down on the ball when teeing too high, probably because they don’t trust how high they’ve teed it. By lowering the tee height they have more trust and hit up on the ball.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Shock horror the new TM driver is no better than the last one ?.
A fool and his money ?
Although many who have the M5/6 will buy it, the SiM isn't aimed at them
We've known for years that theres very little real world improvement from one years offering to the next
Unless you're moving up from R1/R15 or similar, you're unlikely to see dramatic changes unless you weren't fitted for your previous driver
It's the same for all we drivers - no discernible improvement over last year's but quantifiable differences from a few years back.
Wont stop many buying it just because it's the new one

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
well if you thought the sim looked bad in the pic its worse in the flesh, one of the worste looking drivers i think i've ever seen all sorts of crap slogans on it too

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Although many who have the M5/6 will buy it, the SiM isn't aimed at them
We've known for years that theres very little real world improvement from one years offering to the next
Unless you're moving up from R1/R15 or similar, you're unlikely to see dramatic changes unless you weren't fitted for your previous driver
It's the same for all we drivers - no discernible improvement over last year's but quantifiable differences from a few years back.
Wont stop many buying it just because it's the new one
if I was moving from a R1/R15 I’d be looking at the M5/M6 & saving a few quid.
but maybe that’s because I’m a tight Yorkshire man.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
P

I have found that going to a pink castle tee from the orange version or wooden tee equivalent to the orange height has given me a better flight and more consistency and the sideways movement is reduced

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Hit the SIM drivers today, swingweight was very light despite having a 70g hazardous shaft in both. Feels pretty much the same as the m5/6 line, very muted, almost a dead feel. Cant say I was in love with them atall, looks not doing it for me and I was hitting my own driver further. I play a yellow 76g hzrdous shaft in my own driver so not sure if this is why they felt so light but I've a feeling they are very light heads. I'd certainly need to get it weighted correctly if I was going to buy one but given how they look that's not happening.