New Drivers 2020

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Makers of some of the best drivers in history, strange call.
I'm not saying they dont make good clubs but I just choose not to buy them, never liked their wedges irons or putters anyway. Had a couple of TM drivers in the past but again they are sort of marmite IMO. I tend to stick with Ping or Titleist for drivers. Dont mind Callaway as much and would possibly buy one for a change if I was looking.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
I'm not saying they dont make good clubs but I just choose not to buy them, never liked their wedges irons or putters anyway. Had a couple of TM drivers in the past but again they are sort of marmite IMO. I tend to stick with Ping or Titleist for drivers. Dont mind Callaway as much and would possibly buy one for a change if I was looking.
THats fair enough, the othr brands are no slouches

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
That's not what I'm saying, I'll still pick it up and look at it because I'm curious more than anything but I'll be very unlikely to buy it. Chances are If it says taylormade on it id be unlikely to buy it anyway but that's another story.

I'm not sure you know what you're saying or arguing about now!

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm not sure you know what you're saying or arguing about now!
I make the point that if there is something fundamental about the looks of a club that someone doesnt like they should'nt buy it. If I dont like the sole of a club I'm 98% sure I'm not buying that club. It's going to have to be pretty spectacular if I'm going to buy it and I dont like how it looks on the shelf, especially when I'm probably going to like other products better on the shelf or i have something in the bag already that does the job. Your point that people are idiots if they dont like the look of a driver on the shelf so therefore dont bother with it is quite frankly idiotic. Why do you think companys spend so much on marketing and design etc, they want shelf appeal otherwise they ain't going to appeal to the mass market. When there is so much choice out there these days why know earth should you hit a driver if you dont like the sole and theres one you do like the sole of ? Are you really that daft that you think each company's driver range with 2/3 or even 4 driver heads cannot be fitted to every golfer and that they should buy a driver even if they dont like something about it

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I make the point that if there is something fundamental about the looks of a club that someone doesnt like they should'nt buy it. If I dont like the sole of a club I'm 98% sure I'm not buying that club. It's going to have to be pretty spectacular if I'm going to buy it and I dont like how it looks on the shelf, especially when I'm probably going to like other products better on the shelf or i have something in the bag already that does the job. Your point that people are idiots if they dont like the look of a driver on the shelf so therefore dont bother with it is quite frankly idiotic. Why do you think companys spend so much on marketing and design etc, they want shelf appeal otherwise they ain't going to appeal to the mass market. When there is so much choice out there these days why know earth should you hit a driver if you dont like the sole and theres one you do like the sole of ? Are you really that daft that you think each company's driver range with 2/3 or even 4 driver heads cannot be fitted to every golfer and that they should buy a driver even if they dont like something about it

A sole means you won't buy it.

Priceless.

It could have a neon pink sole with brown and purple spots on the sole for all I care. If it sits beautifully at address and has a crown shape that suits my eye it'll be in my bag.

To try and take it off topic to irons to different heads in the range doesn't do your flawed arguement any favours, just makes your rant as poor as your constant digs at a local golf course.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
I'd have to agree, looks play an important part when buying a driver or any clubs for that matter i'd include the sole in that.. Although I have moved from my beautiful Scotty to a TM Spider Mini as I do putt so much better with it.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
A sole means you won't buy it.

Priceless.

It could have a neon pink sole with brown and purple spots on the sole for all I care. If it sits beautifully at address and has a crown shape that suits my eye it'll be in my bag.

To try and take it off topic to irons to different heads in the range doesn't do your flawed arguement any favours, just makes your rant as poor as your constant digs at a local golf course.
Your argument is the one that's flawed, I guarantee most people are not going to part with nearly £500 for a driver if it doesnt look good on a shelf and at address to them. Of course looks are subjective, if it bothers someone the colour scheme of the sole or the design of the sole, it's still going to bother them after they buy it and eat away at them until they inevitably change it. They are clever enough to buy something they think looks good and also performs for them so good on them

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Your argument is the one that's flawed, I guarantee most people are not going to part with nearly £500 for a driver if it doesnt look good on a shelf and at address to them. Of course looks are subjective, if it bothers someone the colour scheme of the sole or the design of the sole, it's still going to bother them after they buy it and eat away at them until they inevitably change it. They are clever enough to buy something they think looks good and also performs for them so good on them

Who mentioned address?

Try sticking to the facts of the argument. That would be a good starting point for you. I've always stated address is the important issue not the colour scheme on the sole.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Who mentioned address?

Try sticking to the facts of the argument. That would be a good starting point for you. I've always stated address is the important issue not the colour scheme on the sole.
I said both on the shelf and at address, your trying to pick what you like and not see what you dont. It might have a nice sole and look not good at address or it might have an awful sole and look ok at address but in both cases it's not going to sell to anyone who cares about it. On the shelf essentially means the sole as that is what you see, just incase that wasnt clear for you

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I'd have to agree, looks play an important part when buying a driver or any clubs for that matter i'd include the sole in that.. Although I have moved from my beautiful Scotty to a TM Spider Mini as I do putt so much better with it.

As I said earlier. Very easy to see past looks when put to the test. I used the same putter as my example, I don't particularly like it or the shape of it but it's very easy to line up. It feels ok and puts a good roll on the ball.

Dismissing something on aesthetics alone is crazy.

Proof is always on the pudding.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
As I said earlier. Very easy to see past looks when put to the test. I used the same putter as my example, I don't particularly like it or the shape of it but it's very easy to line up. It feels ok and puts a good roll on the ball.

TBH Crawford some of the minging looking drivers you have had in the bag, i'm not suprised looks don't bother you:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site

Looks are the most important thing to me when choosing a club of any kind, if you like something you inevitably swing more freely with, you feel more comfortable with it. The vast majority of golfers will buy clubs based on looks alone, some people think mallet putters look better than blade putters, they inspire me with confidence, instantly I feel more comfortable. It's the same with a driver probably even more important. With irons I like compact squat short irons so that comes before feel for me. Looks are everything not just from a confidence point of view but also from a selling perspective. Nobody like stuff that doesnt look good but then looks sre subjective arnt they

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
No matter what the club is, the looks are less important to me than performance. And believe me I've had some classic oddballs.
  • Hippo Hex 2 (still one of the best drivers I've owned but outlawed because of it's shape)
  • Nike SQ square driver
  • MacGregor V-FOIL M6.4K GT by Bobby Grace Putter (called alternately a bike pedal or branding iron by friends, but beautifully balanced).
In all these, I looked at what worked for me. I still have the Bobby Grace as it's one I keep coming back to.
The bottom of the driver is shown in the shop as that is where all the visible technology is so that's why they want people to see it. It's almost trying to shout out "look at all this technology!". As people stroll past clubs in a shop that is what catches peoples eye. But it's not what they really see when they play golf.
In reality once purchased most people never really see it again. I don't know about anyone else but when I play I really don't look at the bottom of the driver. It's covered by the head-cover most of the time and then is just taken off and put back on again to play my shot. I never give the bottom a second glance.
If someone wants to try my driver the first thing they do is take it out and place it on the ground to see how it looks at address. They may have a look at the bottom to see the loft or the model, but in reality not many do.

However, would I buy them? No, because club prices have gone crazy now with no justification for what people are charging and no real performance improvements to be made.