New Drivers 2020

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Let's be honest. Its the whole package that people think about when selecting a driver.

I've never met anyone that said, I absolutely hate the look of the driver apart from the crown. The crown looks amazing so I bought it.

People are attracted like magpies to fancy graphics, colours and tech. Then they get the club in their hands. Look at it from address and waggle it and finally go hit it.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Let's be honest. Its the whole package that people think about when selecting a driver.

I've never met anyone that said, I absolutely hate the look of the driver apart from the crown. The crown looks amazing so I bought it.

People are attracted like magpies to fancy graphics, colours and tech. Then they get the club in their hands. Look at it from address and waggle it and finally go hit it.

I don't I get attracted by the specs and what it looks like at address. Not the bling.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I'll be honest with you,I'never buy a driver I didn't like from an angle albeit the sole the hosel the face or the line up line. If I dont like it and theres something I like better. theres one of two things I'll do which are, go and get fitted for the one that do like or ill stick with what I already have which I still like. Dont care who you are if you're paying nearly £500 for a driver that you dont like the look of and it doesnt do much for you look wise then your just an idiot. if you like something you will be more confident with it and you will feel better about the purchase in general

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
We're talking sole of the driver here going from comments. As per fitting you buy what the fitter gets the best results for you.

If you go against that then yip you're either pig headed or an idiot.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
We're talking sole of the driver here going from comments. As per fitting you buy what the fitter gets the best results for you.

If you go against that then yip you're either pig headed or an idiot.
Point is you can be fit for any driver and get virtually the same results, why would you get fitted for one that you dont like ? That's just ridiculous, you wouldn't go and buy a car if you didn't like the colour would you? I've seen the crown of both the taylormade and the Callaway and the taylormade in particular is hardly and different than previous 2 models

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
So what attracts the 50-60% of people who dont get fitted, who buy off the shelf, from Ebay or Golfbidder in a few months time..?
Many drivers look similar from address
The different sole designs identify the club in the shop. Go into any shop and the clubs are stacked with the sole showing - why if it's not important?
Just because you dont care about the sole doesn't mean hundreds of thousands of people share your view.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
So what attracts the 50-60% of people who dont get fitted, who buy off the shelf, from Ebay or Golfbidder in a few months time..?
Many drivers look similar from address
The different sole designs identify the club in the shop. Go into any shop and the clubs are stacked with the sole showing - why if it's not important?
Just because you dont care about the sole doesn't mean hundreds of thousands of people share your view.

You buy on spec. Not difficult to do your own research....

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Point is you can be fit for any driver and get virtually the same results, why would you get fitted for one that you dont like ? That's just ridiculous, you wouldn't go and buy a car if you didn't like the colour would you? I've seen the crown of both the taylormade and the Callaway and the taylormade in particular is hardly and different than previous 2 models

So every driver has the same launch and spin characteristics? Every fitter has every shaft available to dial in brand X into the same specs that brand Y is giving?

I stand by my assessment anyone that dismisses the driver based on sole graphics is an idiot.

?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
So every driver has the same launch and spin characteristics? Every fitter has every shaft available to dial in brand X into the same specs that brand Y is giving?

I stand by my assessment anyone that dismisses the driver based on sole graphics is an idiot.

?
That's not to say it doesn't happen though. I'm sure plenty of people out there who throw money at new drivers off the shelf could be put off if they thought the sole looked ugly. There is some merit to it being a confidence inducer - the first thing you see every time you take the headcover off is the sole. If that provokes a negative reaction then you now have negativity in your brain every time you take it out the bag.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site

?
So you think that each company who brings out 2-3 models has one which cant be fitted to a golfer to produce largely similar results ? Do you think youd play better with a driver you like the look of which has been fitted or one your not that keen on that's been fitted ? I get what your trying to say but in this day and age each company has a head that pretty much covers each type of player, this is why they have different head types within the same range

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
So you think that each company who brings out 2-3 models has one which cant be fitted to a golfer to produce largely similar results ? Do you think youd play better with a driver you like the look of which has been fitted or one your not that keen on that's been fitted ? I get what your trying to say but in this day and age each company has a head that pretty much covers each type of player, this is why they have different head types within the same range

Let's stick to facts. The facts are people on here are only looking at the four pictures of the sole of a club and "dismissing" it straight away.

Absolute nonsense.

Pick it up, put it down and after seeing how it sits on the ground by all means dismiss it. I can understand people saying that doesn't suit my eye for whatever reason.

It's a bit like the TM Spider putter, I don't like the look of it but having putted with one I could easily putt with one day in day out as it's very easy to line up and the feel.is nowhere near as bad as it looks.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Let's stick to facts. The facts are people on here are only looking at the four pictures of the sole of a club and "dismissing" it straight away.

Absolute nonsense.

Pick it up, put it down and after seeing how it sits on the ground by all means dismiss it. I can understand people saying that doesn't suit my eye for whatever reason.

It's a bit like the TM Spider putter, I don't like the look of it but having putted with one I could easily putt with one day in day out as it's very easy to line up and the feel.is nowhere near as bad as it looks.
You could easily buy a putter that feels better and you do like though, bend the lie angle to something that suits and you will have something that your not just putting up with. I'advise anybody who is buying new clubs to get something or look at a range of clubs you like the look of and get fitted for a club within that range, there is no need to put up with something because you cant be bothered to get fitted by soneone who knows what they are doing.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
You could easily buy a putter that feels better and you do like though, bend the lie angle to something that suits and you will have something that your not just putting up with. I'advise anybody who is buying new clubs to get something or look at a range of clubs you like the look of and get fitted for a club within that range, there is no need to put up with something because you cant be bothered to get fitted by soneone who knows what they are doing.

Again that's not what I'm saying.

Dismissing something on the look of the sole is just stupid.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Again that's not what I'm saying.

Dismissing something on the look of the sole is just stupid.
I dismiss irons on looks/feel alone but predominantly if I dont like the 7 8 9 pw I wont even bother hitting them. a club has to have something going for it

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
I have never picked up a driver or fairway wood and thought i'm not going to see what it looks like at address as the sole looks poor. The first thing I do is look at it at address, come on you must be a moron if you choose not to put a club at address based on the part you never see when hitting it.

Last edited:

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I dismiss irons on looks/feel alone but predominantly if I dont like the 7 8 9 pw I wont even bother hitting them. a club has to have something going for it

Again why are you now moving the boundaries again? Who mentioned irons? Would you dismiss an iron because the numbers were painted in green?

What you are doing with the irons is EXACTLY what I'm saying with the driver. You look at them, look at the address position, you don't just decide, sorry that sole is a god awful colour I'm not even touching that.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
There are a few druvers I have ruled out in the past due to the look of the sole. Anything like speed slots behind the face that will fill up with mud for instance. I am also not a fsn of the TM one above, with the weird bulge thingy. It just offends me, so I wouldn't try it.

I guess that makes me a moron, but it's my money, and my choice.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Again why are you now moving the boundaries again? Who mentioned irons? Would you dismiss an iron because the numbers were painted in green?

What you are doing with the irons is EXACTLY what I'm saying with the driver. You look at them, look at the address position, you don't just decide, sorry that sole is a god awful colour I'm not even touching that.
If a set of irons had red soles I would discount them immediately, if I dislike something as basic as the sole of a driver I'm not likely to buy it. I'll simply try one I do like or I'll keep what I already have. Theres no point having something if you dont like something about it when there are soo many other options available.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I have never picked up a driver or fairway wood and thought i'm not goign to see what it looks like at address as the sole looks poor. The first thing I do is look at it at address, come on you must be a moron if you choose not to put a club at address based on the part you never see when hitting it.
That's not what I'm saying, I'll still pick it up and look at it because I'm curious more than anything but I'll be very unlikely to buy it. Chances are If it says taylormade on it id be unlikely to buy it anyway but that's another story.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
That's not what I'm saying, I'll still pick it up and look at it because I'm curious more than anything but I'll be very unlikely to buy it. Chances are If it says taylormade on it id be unlikely to buy it anyway but that's another story.
Makers of some of the best drivers in history, strange call.