New Drivers 2020

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15344

Well booked into a fitting - looking at TM or the Callaway, reviews look good and videos of them seem to be the drivers to look at , wasnt impressed with the Cobra reviews

Wolf

Visit site
To be honest with drivers the looks don't bother me at all, all I care about is performance. I really like the Colour scheme on the callaway, the biggest issue I have with that club is the bloody spelling of Mavrik...

D

Deleted member 15344

Why is that?
I think I need more consistency before I even consider it.

I’ll still hit it but reviews have it sounding loudly and feeling worse than last years model , dispersion worse and club Speed etc a bit lower

D

Deleted member 17920

Just had a hit with the Mavrick driver.

It felt the same as the epic for me.

I may chuck it in the bag next time I play to see how it goes on the course

Joel thought he hit it longer than his PXG. He obviously didn’t have the same shaft as me ?

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I hit the sim against my g410 lst today. sim was average 3 yards longer carry but dispersion was much worse with the sim. Nice driver though and feels great even when you don't hit the sweet spot

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Can't believe how bad they were with the older clubs, unless it was a marketing trick to big up the new model?
Naaah, surely not?
When I had a GBB in '97 I was hitting it further than I am now......
But then that was 20 odd years ago...:unsure::LOL:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I popped into AG whilst out today for a look at drivers. They had quite a few ex demo stuff but the prices looked pretty dear to me. Also, the newest drivers were on racks at the nationally advertised prices but the ones they were replacing on the other side at the same price??

I think 2nd hand will do given that most of the reviews on new stuff show no real distance improvement

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I've spent a bit of time over the past couple of weeks hitting the Cobra Speedzone on multiple occasions. I was intent on a purchase when they became available.The thing is, I don't really feel comfortable hitting drivers inside on a trackman, that and the pressure of knowing all the lads at AG because my boy works there means I never feel very relaxed trying out drivers. It always shows when I'm in there, because whilst I may not be the straightest hitter all of the time, I can hit it pretty well, but the computer always shows me to be a very inaccurate swinger - maybe the screen display just exagerates it :p. After 3 visits in just over a week, every session was showing me spraying the balls every which way, even on a day I'd been at the range 10 minutes before hitting my own driver straight as you like.

Last Friday, I saw a review of the Speedzone Extreme, went to try it. The carry and distance was better than the standard Speedzone by about 25 yds, but had the same pattern of lines going everywhere on the computer. Chatting with the lad assisting me, I mentioned my dislike for the indoor setup and he suggested I went to their Northampton branch which has an open practice range. A quick phone call and shot up there the following morning, what a difference. The range balls were extremely crappy, but the yardage markers were real distances and pretty true (lasered them). They gave me a full bucket of balls to play with, and bar maybe two shots, hit the ball pretty straight (would have been happy on course) every time, either carrying or landing on the 225 yard marker with the rubbish balls. I dropped my own M2 driver in for a few balls to compare, and I also tried the standard Speedzone driver too. The Extreme won hands down, it out carried the M2 every time, straighter than the M2 as well. It wasn't a lot better than the standard Speedzone for distance, they were very comparable there, but it felt a lot nicer to hit because it only has the one weight at the back of the head (similar to the M2). With a slightly bigger head it also gave a lot more confidence standing over the ball and was more forgiving, the only bad shots I hit were with the Speedzone, not the Extreme, or at least the Extreme was more forgiving on the bad shots.

It was so pleasing to hit, I went straight back to my local AG to order, only to find that the Extreme is not available until the 19th Feb. I'll have to wait a little longer :(, but one of these definitely going in to my bag this year.

D

Deleted member 15344

Well just finished my driver Fitting - tried the Callaway , Cobra and TM Sim and Sim Max

Callaway - sits nice and looks nice but spins too high , not the best dispersion but does go well

Cobra - ugly , feels awful , sounds awful and didn’t really perform well

TM -good dispersion , decent forgiveness and hit it as far as the Callaway

Ended up buying the TM Sim with the Fujikara Ventus Blue Shaft in stiff

D

Deleted member 16999

Well just finished my driver Fitting - tried the Callaway , Cobra and TM Sim and Sim Max

Callaway - sits nice and looks nice but spins too high , not the best dispersion but does go well

Did you consider the Mizuno?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

how much we gain over the old TM Phil?

D

Deleted member 15344

wow impressive numbers that, decent uplift :) where did you do the fitting? at your place?

Nah - same place I got my irons , Custom Lab golf in Hitchin , excellent fitter with a lot of choice - only thing he doesn’t really do is Ping