Most overrated golf course you have played.....

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Your paying more for the reputation and history of the place than the course itself, well you are with St Andrews not been on Muirfield

It does amaze me that people seem to believe that St Andrews is overrated. By far the best golfing experience I have ever had. I can remember every hole, every shot I played, and thats not bad for an old boy, and the fact I played it last October.;) Already planning my next pilgramage to the home of golf.

I do agree with the comments regarding Wentworth West. Played it a few times, usually when it has been wet, and it is just a long slog through a lot mature trees. Much prefer the East course, which has much more variety.

T

thecraw

It does amaze me that people seem to believe that St Andrews is overrated. By far the best golfing experience I have ever had. I can remember every hole, every shot I played, and thats not bad for an old boy, and the fact I played it last October.;) Already planning my next pilgramage to the home of golf.

I do agree with the comments regarding Wentworth West. Played it a few times, usually when it has been wet, and it is just a long slog through a lot mature trees. Much prefer the East course, which has much more variety.

St Andrews has history and aura. Standing on the 1st tee you have goosebumps and the hairs on the back of your neck start to rise, your heart starts to beat a bit quicker and you suddenly realise that your about to embark on a golfing Mecca.

However as a course it really doesn't offer anything nearly as good as a Turnberry or a Royal Portrush. That's not to say I didn't enjoy my Old Course experience, I loved it. I loved it due to the top conditioned greens and the whole "home of golf" and historic significance. If I'm being perfectly honest there are much better links courses out there!

Last edited:

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site

Yes you can remember most holes and the experience but that is only because of the aura and history of the place and the fact all the Opens that have been held there. If the course was just a normal members club in the UK that had not had all the championships played on it then it would probably be a relatively unknown track.

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
West course at Wentworth, cannot understand why it is so highly ranked in all the Top 100 lists. It's not even the best course at Wentworth. Come to think of it, it's not even the 2nd best course at Wentworth!!

Couldnt agree more - and I would put the East in the same boat - It has too many non descript 400 odd yard par 4s for me (I appreciate it is used for the ladies comps however). Now, I have never played the Edinburgh but all I hear are good things........

D

Deleted Member 1156

As a member of Broadstone, it is making me chuckle to see the comments about Ferndown

:rofl:

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Thing is, the PGA at Gleneagles isn't really rated by anyone though is it, so it can't really then be 'over'-rated.

As for most over-rated, Royal Dornoch, some really bad holes on that course, great views, great condition, some good holes, but not a patch on somewhere like Nairn, Moray or Royal aberdeen that don't get the same publicity.

It rated by the European tour as it has an event there every year and now a Ryder Cup.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
As a member of Broadstone, it is making me chuckle to see the comments about Ferndown

:rofl:

I like Ferndown.:ears: We have a reciprocal there, and have played it many times. Maybe not a top 100 course, but a good traditional course, usually in great condition, and not bad for nothing !!

D

Deleted Member 1156

I like Ferndown.:ears: We have a reciprocal there, and have played it many times. Maybe not a top 100 course, but a good traditional course, usually in great condition, and not bad for nothing !!

Hang fire if you are planning to play it this year, right now it's in awful condition, the greens were shocking when I played it a couple of weeks ago.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Hang fire if you are planning to play it this year, right now it's in awful condition, the greens were shocking when I played it a couple of weeks ago.

The greens are suffering at a lot of courses at the moment, and as I said usually it is in great condition.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I didn't play it, but caddied for Just One around Walton Heath. Whilst it was nice enough, it didn't make me wish I was playing, and hasn't made me want to go back there. No idea why, it just didn't appeal.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I didn't play it, but caddied for Just One around Walton Heath. Whilst it was nice enough, it didn't make me wish I was playing,....

If there was a 4-ball from the forum I'd pay £25 to be there, but if it was £40 each I'd give it a miss.

Most over-rated course for me is LEWES, I'd heard it was a bit crap... if only it was that good! :mad: I'd take East Brighton over it any day.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The Brabazon at the Belfry. Apart from the 10th and 18th there was nothing there that set the pulse gong any quicker. Played the West at Wentworth many years ago and it was a long old slog. Would be interested to go back and see what its like with the changes but £300+ notes and a mandatory caddy is a big NO NO.

As for the most overrrated of the lot - Lydd! Not even the sheep would want to graze that field

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would say Wentworth West and Walton Heath Old - both nice courses but should be at the bottom of the Top 100 not in the Top 30. How anyone could rate Walton Heath above Hankley Common - a similar style course - is beyond me. I heard Walton was very like the Hotchkin and similarly ranked but I found the Hotchkin miles better. The last time I played the West, I remember waiting for cars to pass on the fourth and fifth!! I haven't played since the latest revisions. The East is a nicer layout and potentially a much nicer course but i played it last year and was less impressed than the first time - layout really nice but the bunkering is an inconsistent mess - it needs a total bunker redesign and overahaul and then it would be a cracking track

Regarding other comments, I would say Burnham and Berrow is a very fine course and well deserves its rank

diesel75

Club Champion
Visit site
+1 for West course at Wentworth, although was in great shape found it quite dull. But for me Celtic Manor is the most overrated course, too many holes felt like an average pay and play course.