Best Course You Have Played This Year

arnieboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have not played many away courses this year but did get to Littlestone earlier and I thought it was great mainly because it is such a challenge even on a calm day.

Visit site
Royal County Down
Hankley Common
Woking
Saunton East
Parkstone
Trevose
Moor Park
Guildford
Puttenham

I think that’s all the new courses I played in 2022. RCD naturally stands, the next 4 on the list are all absolutely brilliant and charming as well.

OldMate

Head Pro
Visit site
Did you also play Lost Farm and Cape Wickham whilst you were there? Cape Wickham was being built so I never got the chance to play there.

I played Lost Farm but not Cape Wickham (didn’t look into that as was on limited time). Lost Farm was also excellent, particularly the short holes but also a few weaker holes. I also played New South Wales on the same trip while in Sydney, which is a strong course but probably not in the same league as many of the UK links courses I’ve played in my opinion.

Visit site
I started the year at Woodhall Spa. Always a fantastic experience, though less impressed with the Bracken after playing The Hotchkin the day before.
I think Dunbar was my joint best outing, along with Alnmouth, and Torrequebrada. I tend to enjoy courses most where I play well. Notable courses where didn't I play well but the courses were tip top were: Royal Lytham, Hollinwell, Clitheroe, Moortown, Huddersfield (Fixby), Gullane2, and Fulford.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I started the year at Woodhall Spa. Always a fantastic experience, though less impressed with the Bracken after playing The Hotchkin the day before.
I think Dunbar was my joint best outing, along with Alnmouth, and Torrequebrada. I tend to enjoy courses most where I play well. Notable courses where didn't I play well but the courses were tip top were: Royal Lytham, Hollinwell, Clitheroe, Moortown, Huddersfield (Fixby), Gullane2, and Fulford.
You've had a rough year :oops:. That's a tasty list (y)

bwstokie

Visit site
Another shout for Cavendish in Buxton, soon To be surpassed, I’d guess, by Royal Lytham but special mentions for Beau Desert and Pestana Alto!
As I predicted Royal Lytham has now firmly placed itself at the top of not only this years list but my all time list - absolutely stunning and steeped in tradition! Had an incredible day yesterday and managed to almost avoid the heavy rain (last 3 holes). Probably played the best this year as well in the 25-30 mph winds. Was so apprehensive after weeks of toil and hacking around, seemed to all click back into place on the day which always sweetens a round. Thanks to wifey for sorting for my birthday, girl did good!

4LEX

Visit site
Played a lot of Top 20 courses more than a few times (Surrey heathlands) but my favourite trips were to Hollinwell and Isle of Purbeck. Hollinwell was just a brute off the back tees, great test of golf. While IOP has dramatically improved in condition. I don't think you get a better view from the 5th there than anywhere in the country.

D

Deleted member 23270

Wallasey. For me the probably best course in the NW outside the Open venues and my favourite to play.
Nice track but not keen on the holes with really high greens (10th & 15th?) also thought the 3 parallel par 5's felt weak compared to the rest of the course. I'd pick Hillside as my favourite non Open venue in the NW.

CountLippe

Visit site
Nice track but not keen on the holes with really high greens (10th & 15th?) also thought the 3 parallel par 5's felt weak compared to the rest of the course. I'd pick Hillside as my favourite non Open venue in the NW.

I understand what you mean about 10 although its a risk reward tee shot. I don't think 15 is that bad. 11 has a really elevated green and is one of the best holes on the course. Those 3 par 5's and the 6th are on the flat part of the course, and I'd agree they suffer because of it.

I've not played Hillside since the changes, from what I hear they've improved it. I had always preferred Formby to there. That stretch of land is ridiculous, its just a pity its reflected in Green Fees now - unless you get an invite it just not worth it.

D

Deleted member 23270

I understand what you mean about 10 although its a risk reward tee shot. I don't think 15 is that bad. 11 has a really elevated green and is one of the best holes on the course. Those 3 par 5's and the 6th are on the flat part of the course, and I'd agree they suffer because of it.

I've not played Hillside since the changes, from what I hear they've improved it. I had always preferred Formby to there. That stretch of land is ridiculous, its just a pity its reflected in Green Fees now - unless you get an invite it just not worth it.
I've played both Hillside and Formby a long time ago and think I preferred Formby. However I played Hillside again recently and think the changes have improved it massively and now rate it ahead of Formby.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've played both Hillside and Formby a long time ago and think I preferred Formby. However I played Hillside again recently and think the changes have improved it massively and now rate it ahead of Formby.
Yes ,played Hillside in September and the new teeing areas are fantastic.
All the mounding has grown in and the course is fabulous.
But the £££££ is going to put a lot off.