Best Course You Have Played This Year

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Tough one. I loved Northamptonshire County, Temple, Stoneham and Hayling.

If I had to pick one from those then it would be......Hayling, I think. Really tough choice.

gopher99

Visit site
I have been really lucky this year and played some bucket list courses for me, Royal Dornoch, Pinehurst No2,4 & 8, Tobacco Road, Bay Hill, and PGA national champion course.

simo71

Visit site
Looking back - I have actually had a hell of a year!
North Berwick - most fun
Portrush - "best" but played crap
Portstewart - best golf and perhaps the best front 9 anywhere
Cavendish and Hillside were both incredibly good too

richbeech

Hacker
Visit site
Looking back - I have actually had a hell of a year!
North Berwick - most fun
Portrush - "best" but played crap
Portstewart - best golf and perhaps the best front 9 anywhere
Cavendish and Hillside were both incredibly good too

My game completely deserted me on my Ireland trip unfortunately. Probably as bad as I've ever played but I always say when you're playing courses like Portrush and Portstewart your score is sort of irrelevant, you just need to enjoy it and drink it in.

Agree on the front 9 at Portstewart, absolutely amazing. The 1st is the best opening and one of the most memorable holes I've ever played.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
I've played seventeen different courses this year (4½ of them for the first time). The 'best' was The Hotchkin at Woodhall Spa but the one I enjoyed the most was Stockwood Vale near Bristol; honourable mention also to Horsley Lodge near Derby.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Ive been around a bit this year but I think Hayling has to be the one for me.

First experience of a links course and one to remember for some time! Beautiful!

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I have been really lucky this year and played some bucket list courses for me, Royal Dornoch, Pinehurst No2,4 & 8, Tobacco Road, Bay Hill, and PGA national champion course.
That is some bucket list.

A lot of people have played some top courses this year but yours will take some beating.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Over Hayling?
I know this is the wrong attitude but I can't help but rate courses slightly lower if I play crap on them. ? The ground was so soft and crumbly in places and I hit way too many duffs. Not a fan of arduous long holes into the wind either - I don't think links really suits me to be honest. At the London Club I actually played decent, but also the style of the course is more my cup of tea as well.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I know this is the wrong attitude but I can't help but rate courses slightly lower if I play crap on them. ? The ground was so soft and crumbly in places and I hit way too many duffs. Not a fan of arduous long holes into the wind either - I don't think links really suits me to be honest. At the London Club I actually played decent, but also the style of the course is more my cup of tea as well.

It certainly adds to enjoyment playing well! I too prefer parkland I think, Links is just too hard for me :ROFLMAO:

gopher99

Visit site

I think you have hit the nail on the head with this post, thats why its so hard to review courses without personal feelings coming into it. If you play well on a course then obviously you are going to rate it higher, same goes if its a beautiful day out there rather than pouring down with rain.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I think you have hit the nail on the head with this post, thats why its so hard to review courses without personal feelings coming into it. If you play well on a course then obviously you are going to rate it higher, same goes if its a beautiful day out there rather than pouring down with rain.
Agreed, although I felt Hayling wasn't as good as I remember it from the other times I've played....probably still recovering from the harsh summer.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Agreed, although I felt Hayling wasn't as good as I remember it from the other times I've played....probably still recovering from the harsh summer.
Having not really played any links before, it was not exactly how I expected a links course to be. I thought they would typically have shorter grass and harder ground with more run, but there was no run on it whatsoever, and as I said above, a lot of the ground was soft and crumbly.

None of this means I didn't like it btw, it was a great experience still.

i*windows

Visit site
no new courses this year, which is a shame, but St. Eurach southwest of Munich is a belter. Hoping to play in Ireland next year.