Best Course You Have Played This Year

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I guess everyone can meet people on an off day, which happen to everyone. On my visit everyone was perfectly pleasant ,was quie a while back though.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think you have to be very fragile of mind and ego to think that the folks at the "'well" are up themselves. The members and staff have always been very friendly and helpful when I've been
Ha, ha, ha....... Had no problem with the staff etc but when a Club has prestigious visitors from EG there for 2 days you'd expect them to make a bit more of an effort than offer a practice round £100+ & sausage mash & veg as the food, whilst other quality Clubs charged just £35 & offered 2 choices of food with one giving two courses. Also have heard of folk joining and then moving away to Coxmoor..... nuf said for me.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Ha, ha, ha....... Had no problem with the staff etc but when a Club has prestigious visitors from EG there for 2 days you'd expect them to make a bit more of an effort than offer a practice round £100+ & sausage mash & veg as the food, whilst other quality Clubs charged just £35 & offered 2 choices of food with one giving two courses. Also have heard of folk joining and then moving away to Coxmoor..... nuf said for me.
You can’t be serious. Glyn has never been prestigious 🤣

D

Deleted member 1147

The food’s never been good there from what I’ve heard

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I’ve played it a number of times and tend to agree. Never had anything other than the warmest of welcomes, from pro shop staff to clubhouse staff and the starter. All have always made me feel right at home.
We played there last year for a guys 60th. It was a surprise treat for him. We all loved it. I got 17 points on the front nine and was flowing. Back nine I don’t think I used my pen 😡
Anyway one of the lads came second in the fiddle so we were clapping and singing his name. But not overly loud. A guy walks into the room where we are sat and said “ this is not a football stadium, we have members in the lounge who are not happy at your rowdy behaviour”. With that he left. We were like naughty schoolboys trying to cover our sniggers. When the winner got up we just gave him the thumbs up. It is a place of “ uniqueness” but the course is gorgeous.
Reminds me of a story a guy told me last year. He was playing golf in the 80’s and him and three others pulled up at Hollinwell in the hope of getting a game. A lady on the desk said “ Yes we have a tee time available in 40 minutes”. “ If you would like to drive to the nearest village and ring me from the phone box I can book you in for the tee time”. He was gobsmacked and asked why she could not book them in as they were there. “ Oh no we don’t do roll up bookings” was the reply. The four of them got in their car, drove to the phone box and asked re a tee time.They got in no problems. They played Sherwood Forest. He said
“ Hollinwell can shove it”.😁

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Coxmoor is only 15 mins from me, but for some reason or other, Ave never played it ☹️

stevieb15

Hacker
Visit site
Quiet year so far but of the better known, Piltdown was excellent as ever and lesser lights well worth a mention, Betchworth, Cowdray Park, Rowlands Castle and my home course The Dyke, all in great nick, green with plenty of growth in spite of a very warm summer down here.

Klimski

Visit site
My answer to the original question: Carlyon Bay - wonderful setting, great condition (in May), friendly people, great day all around

Goldie

Club Champion
Visit site
Best course I've played in England this year is Stockport GC. Beautiful course, mature tree lined, with holes to make you think and a lovely clubhouse.

Best course abroad would have to be Aguilon Golf in Spain, about 90 mins from Murcia. Stunning course set in the mountains, every hole is so picturesque.