The Belfry

Ndw7

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Got back from an overnight stay at the belfry yesterday having played the PGA National on Friday and the Derby on Saturday. What a fantastic place, with fantastic staff. The PGA National course was superb but I suppose the 50mph winds made it more of a slog than it should have been!
The Derby was ok but on reflection, if we were to go there again (and we all agreed that we would definitely be returning!) I think I would rather pay the extra money and play the PGA National and the Brabazon. For two reasons really - Firstly, as great as the weekend was, I have left there a bit disappointed that I didn’t get to play the main course with all the Ryder cup history, especially a week before a European tour event was there so I presume the course would have been immaculate! Secondly, the Derby is just “o.k” in my opinion and felt like too much of a step down from the PGA. At least this gives me a year to get my game in order before attempting to tackle the Brabazon ?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Got back from an overnight stay at the belfry yesterday having played the PGA National on Friday and the Derby on Saturday. What a fantastic place, with fantastic staff. The PGA National course was superb but I suppose the 50mph winds made it more of a slog than it should have been!
The Derby was ok but on reflection, if we were to go there again (and we all agreed that we would definitely be returning!) I think I would rather pay the extra money and play the PGA National and the Brabazon. For two reasons really - Firstly, as great as the weekend was, I have left there a bit disappointed that I didn’t get to play the main course with all the Ryder cup history, especially a week before a European tour event was there so I presume the course would have been immaculate! Secondly, the Derby is just “o.k” in my opinion and felt like too much of a step down from the PGA. At least this gives me a year to get my game in order before attempting to tackle the Brabazon ?

I find the Derby is a nice build yourself back up course after being beaten up by the big boys

Lovely place tho

Eagle2

Visit site
Was a member of both and the Derby was a great Break from the PGA making you want to sell your clubs.
Glad you enjoyed it!

Ndw7

Assistant Pro
Visit site
That's the way if you go somewhere and play number 2 and 3 .... ;)
The green fee for number 1 wasn’t an option after the better half’s maternity leave, followed by furlough since March on 80% of maternity leave due to a mistake in accounts. As I’m sure sure people on here would know, 80% of next to nothing, is pretty much nothing ?