Most memorable performance on a hole you have had?

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
Playing the 10th at my club, I hit two provisional balls from the tee, as we weren't sure if the first two had cleared the pond or not. Found the first and hit a great 2nd shot, which unfortunately hopped into the greenside bunker in a bad lie. Played some kind of miracle flop shot out and holed the putt.

My playing partner said it was one of the most amazing pars he'd seen as I had hit 6 shots and so on.

Well, so far....

Went to the 11th, a par 3, and I duffed my tee shot into the pond about halfway to the green or so. Dropped a ball about 20 yards back from the point of entry on line with the flag and knocked a 3/4 9-iron pitch into the hole after a hop and a skip for another par. :)

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have had 4 hole in one's with - 5 wood, 4iron, 6 iron & 8 iron, the 8 iron was the most pleasing as it pitched past the hole a spun back in.

Probably the most memorable hole I have participated in is our 9th hole, 441yds (SI 1), playing in a texas scramble we chose a drive just off the fairway, the first 2 PP's hit good shots the closest being about 6', I hit a 7 iron two bounces and into the hole for an eagle 2.

D

Deleted member 1147

4th hole @ Sherwood Forest - 185yds into a stiff wind, slightly downhill, off the whites.
I hit 5 iron so well I didn't even feel the contact. It went low, turning left to right with a baby fade, pitched 5 feet short one bounce and then trickled into the hole.
1st and only hole in one - perfect golf shot, as it did exactly as I saw it in my mind's eye

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
Would have to go with my first ever birdie. Not a special hole, especially not a special course, and didn't play it particularly well either, but my first birdie none-the-less!

16th at Poult Wood in Kent. A short 280 ish yard par 4 with a slight left to right dogleg. Duffed a 6 iron off the tee, so went for the green with a hybrid, got to the green to find it 18" from the hole.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Would have to go with my first ever birdie. Not a special hole, especially not a special course, and didn't play it particularly well either, but my first birdie none-the-less!

16th at Poult Wood in Kent. A short 280 ish yard par 4 with a slight left to right dogleg. Duffed a 6 iron off the tee, so went for the green with a hybrid, got to the green to find it 18" from the hole.

Some of my most memorable golf came at that course! Nearest to hole in one came there

But mostly memorable was even tho I live near lakeside we always used to every Monday go there to play my uncle who lives in pembury

Me , my dad and him. Both of which now have given up golf due to health

Shame

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Made an albatross, chipped in from 80 yards for an eagle not long ago that was nice.

My favourite was probably at St Pierre, sitting having a coffee on the terrace before our round, above the 18th green, and seeing everybody fail to hit the green. I remarked that it's just an easy 4 iron and shouldn't be that hard.

Got to the 18th and my playing partners reminded me of what I said, I had not been playing well that round, so sheepishly took my 4 iron out and stuck it to 6 feet. I was properly strutting to the green, putter in hand and got my birdie

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Last year I played the West Sussex and, on the stroke index 1 hole (the 11th from memory), I hit a reasonable (for me, that is) drive, followed by a reasonable 5 wood onto the green. This was followed by a 30 foot putt for a birdie and, to date, my only ever 5 point hole.

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Tough one for me, although i'm sure i'll get some corkers going forwards given I play enough and i'm getting better.

Candidate one is a ~175yard hole out from the rough with a 5 iron after having to drop out of a penalty area, a pleasing 3 on an otherwise terrible round. (pace looked bang on and it would have been within 6ft easy)
Candidate two was an approx 50ft putt on the 18th to nab a birdie and win a match, quite a few people on the balcony so spectators always add to the glory!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Couple of summers back - out one evening on my tod - ground firm - playing our par 5 14th off yellows (527 yds). Two really good tee shots. First ball - thought I'd hit 5i for my second - really sweet and ended up 25yds short and left of green. Thought - that was nice - so used 5i for second ball - even better - it ended up on the green 15ft from the hole. Wow! Let's see if I can birdie and eagle thoughts. Thinned my chip on with first ball - hit the upslope of the fringe - it popped up into the air killing the speed and it rolled along the green and into the hole - eagle! Well of course the second ball had to go in - and it did. Two balls and two eagles. And nobody except myself and the Big Man Upstairs witnessed it. But he's as good a witness as I need:)

Last edited:

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
There are two that stick in my mind.

Years ago I'd joined Dewsbury District GC and had a mandatory lesson off the pro on joining. He'd made a few changes to my swing and I was out practicing one day when it all started to come together.
By the time I'd got to the 10th tee (Par 5 - 485 yards), I knew I was hitting the ball well, and had confidence on every shot. Hit my driver straight down the middle of the fairway, then a 5 iron through the back of the green. Chipped back on and sank the putt for a birdie. I actually birdied the 11th as well, and played theback nine level par - I was off about 22 handicap at the time. Never ever repeated that standard of golf in my life since.

Second one, 10th at Willow Valley. Absolutely my nemesis on that course, I've had loads of nines and tens on there.
Anyway, hooked my drive into the trees on the left, chopped out a 7 iron to lay up infront of the lake. Hit a 5 wood back into the trees further up on the left, then hit a stupendous draw shot back out of the trees and hit the green. Knocked the putt in for a par. I've played the hole better and walked off with an 8.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I could mention a stellar drive at Camberley Heath followed by a glorious fairway wood to stick it right by the hole only to arrive at the green to find my ball vandalised and definitely further away. Traumatised by the hoodlums that manifested from nowhere as the green was clear when I hit I missed the birdie putt (affected no doubt by the weight bias of the graffiti on the ball)

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Two instances in one round for me. Par 5 9th at Abbey Hill I hit the sweetest 5 wood I've ever hit into the green to leave me with a 6 foot eagle putt which I just missed.

Par 5 14th, decent drive leaving a 6 iron into the green which I hit just as sweetly, all over the flag - left myself a 7 foot eagle putt and made it, my first ever eagle but should have been my second ;)

TeeRev

Visit site
I'm still learning the game as my retirement project so there's usually something memorable, (or forgettable), nearly every week.

I play both Seaford courses and was playing a fun round last week at Blatch with a mate and his son who was visiting from abroad, (he hits the ball miles so was hitting a 5 wood off the whites as he'd broken his driver).

For a laugh my mate suggested we play off the whites on the 16th which is the only par 5 on the course, 532yds yellows and 555yds whites, though whatever, it didn't matter to me as the best I've ever done there so far was a six off the yellows.

I'm not a long hitter but I hit a long STRAIGHT drive then a long STRAIGHT three wood to leave 145 yds to the pin on the elevated green, my six iron was perfectly STRAIGHT and I watched the ball roll over the lip and onto the green.

Walked up and found I had to tap in an eight inch putt for a birdie, I know it was wind assisted but it was still a birdie which is a pretty rare thing for me.