JCB - a review

NoLayingUp

Visit site
Today I had the absolute pleasure of playing the JCB course in Staffordshire.

Being very fortunate to know one of the green staff, we managed to get a tee time and it was my second time playing here. Each time I have been utterly blown away.

From the moment of driving in through the gate and getting through security, instantly you’re set up to be impressed. The clubhouse, pro shop, practice ground, breakfast, range and facilities are all outstanding. A quick word for the staff too who are all incredibly welcoming and friendly.

The weather was against us but when playing such an incredible course, it becomes irrelevant. The first tee shot is a daunting test, water to carry and all out of bounds to the left, a gaping bunker in the center and heavy rough and trees ready to gobble up any errant tee shot. The approach shot to the green features the water again and is well protected by numerous bunkers. A truly stern test to set you up for the remainder of the day, you can gauge your game and see where it’s at from the first hole in.

Without going in to too much depth on each hole, the stand out performers are holes 1, 10, 13 (both absolute monster par 5’s at well over 600 yards a piece), hole 14 is a idyllic elevated par 3, just a beautiful beautiful golf hole, 16 is a very technical par 4 with multiple ways to plot around and a big risk/reward drive. Hole 17 is the most talked about, a 255 yard par 3 on to an island green that will have even the highest players of the game knees knocking followed by a cracking closing 18th with a dog leg left lower elevation tee shot over water. Well worth a google to see the layout.

Personal highlights of the day for me was the first three tee shots, smoking perfect drives around 290-310 yards and the ultimate pleasure of carding the only birdie of the day in our fourball. Pitching in from 60 yards on the monster par 5 10th.

I just had to post a short review as I’ve come away from the course today totally blown away. I cannot stress enough, if you get the chance to tee it up around there, JUMP IN WITH BOTH FEET! Its 110% your ready and will test the very best golfers in the world, its just a matter of time until we see the first PGA event in the UK held there. It’s a lofty vision I don’t think Lord Bamford is trying to hide. I really hope he succeeds.

Have any of you guys been lucky enough to play there, what are your thoughts? We’re you as blown away as me? Because I am well and truly feeling like a very lucky and very happy man after coming away from there.

I’d love to hear your thoughts on the place.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Today I had the absolute pleasure of playing the JCB course in Staffordshire.

Being very fortunate to know one of the green staff, we managed to get a tee time and it was my second time playing here. Each time I have been utterly blown away.

From the moment of driving in through the gate and getting through security, instantly you’re set up to be impressed. The clubhouse, pro shop, practice ground, breakfast, range and facilities are all outstanding. A quick word for the staff too who are all incredibly welcoming and friendly.

The weather was against us but when playing such an incredible course, it becomes irrelevant. The first tee shot is a daunting test, water to carry and all out of bounds to the left, a gaping bunker in the center and heavy rough and trees ready to gobble up any errant tee shot. The approach shot to the green features the water again and is well protected by numerous bunkers. A truly stern test to set you up for the remainder of the day, you can gauge your game and see where it’s at from the first hole in.

Without going in to too much depth on each hole, the stand out performers are holes 1, 10, 13 (both absolute monster par 5’s at well over 600 yards a piece), hole 14 is a idyllic elevated par 3, just a beautiful beautiful golf hole, 16 is a very technical par 4 with multiple ways to plot around and a big risk/reward drive. Hole 17 is the most talked about, a 255 yard par 3 on to an island green that will have even the highest players of the game knees knocking followed by a cracking closing 18th with a dog leg left lower elevation tee shot over water. Well worth a google to see the layout.

Personal highlights of the day for me was the first three tee shots, smoking perfect drives around 290-310 yards and the ultimate pleasure of carding the only birdie of the day in our fourball. Pitching in from 60 yards on the monster par 5 10th.

I just had to post a short review as I’ve come away from the course today totally blown away. I cannot stress enough, if you get the chance to tee it up around there, JUMP IN WITH BOTH FEET! Its 110% your ready and will test the very best golfers in the world, its just a matter of time until we see the first PGA event in the UK held there. It’s a lofty vision I don’t think Lord Bamford is trying to hide. I really hope he succeeds.

Have any of you guys been lucky enough to play there, what are your thoughts? We’re you as blown away as me? Because I am well and truly feeling like a very lucky and very happy man after coming away from there.

I’d love to hear your thoughts on the place.
What other course is it most like? Everyone seems to love it even though it seems pretty tough

NoLayingUp

Visit site
Reading this from my hotel room in Stafford. On the tee there in the morning with other souls of this Parish. Looking forward to it immensely

Hope you have a great round Ian, I’m sure you’ll enjoy everything it has to offer. I’d love to hear what you think afterwards, to see if you’re left as impressed with the place as I was

NoLayingUp

Visit site
What other course is it most like? Everyone seems to love it even though it seems pretty tough

I think that’s the beauty of it. It’s so uniqu in its own right. It throws every test at you, length being it’s obvious main defence. The contours of the fairways ensure no flat lies, the bunkers are numerous and well placed, the rough is up but there is ample room to reward good drives. The par 3’s are all brilliant with elevation in play in all of them. The greens are all like glass (The Golf Ops manager James informed us that they’re running around 11.5 on the stimp at the moment).

It’s not just the course which is so impressive though, all the facilities are world class. For example, pyramids of Titleist balls to hit down range with the backdrop of the rolling Staffordshire hills. A word must be given for the staff too, all of them absolutely excellent but prime example was us coming off the 18th yesterday evening and a passing security guard on a caddy took the time to stop and ask us how we got on, if we enjoyed the round etc. They just have every little detail nailed to perfection, no stone is left unturned.

My understanding is that their ambition is to host a PGA event in the UK similar to what the John Deere Classic is in the USA in order to crack into the US construction market. If they keep this standard up, it’s impossible to see how they could refuse. Lord Bamford has got this spot on.

NoLayingUp

Visit site
It’s top class.

Played it twice now. Amazing layout that will be UK top 10 once it matures.

For sure, the one big difference I noticed from playing it last year is how much it's already matured. It's there or there abouts now, they've put a lot of prep work in ready for the Rose series event in august.

D

Deleted member 15344

How can average guys like us get to play it? Isn’t it invite only?

You need to be invited or know a member - it’s like the other exclusive clubs which are no doubt very good ( some more established) but are closed of to the majority - there will be charity days no doubt at around £1k for a fourball.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
Awesome course and set-up. Pencilled in later this year for another knock.

Work related invites where they invite some of their consultants so take every invite I get as those gestures can soon vanish.

Would love to play it with friends and have the craic, not the same when you’re playing with 2/3 guys you don’t know but still always been nice blokes and an enjoyable day.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I can can't carry 255 yards so what do I do on that famous par 3 seems a bit silly!

You par it, of course.

What a fantastic setup, absolutely top class. From the security at the gate to the concierge at the clubhouse, the staff were super friendly, courteous and helpful. I stepped in last minute, but the charity didn't change my name on the team data. No towel behind for me, not a problem, go eat your breakfast Bryan, the towel will be ready when you come out.

Fantastic setup at the clubhouse, range facility excellent, cool JCB coloured buggies.

The first tee was quite daunting, a few butterflies but kept the ball dry. From then on it was just one good hole after another. Some tough holes out there, the rough was hard work, the greens were true as you like. The par 3's we're all good, especially 9 and 17. Nothing bad to say about the course, just played around with a smile all day. Would go back in a heartbeat, oh..... and I only took 6 shots more than Rick Shiels, very happy with that.View attachment 37386View attachment 37387View attachment 37388

Last edited:

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I’ve asked the charity to send me some blurb to add to some words I’ll do tomorrow or thereabouts. But tired now, it took me just under 3 hours to get home, with a couple of stops at services. But I‘d drive back in the morning to play it again.

Like Bryan, I made par on 17th, from the left bunker! (if you ignore my first tee shot which went In the lake)

richbeech

Hacker
Visit site
Been fortunate enough to play it a couple of times. It is every bit as good as people say it is. There’s a definite 5* feel about the place from the moment you sign in at the gate and glance over at the monster 630 yard par 5 13th to your right. The greeting in the clubhouse and the view looking out at the driving range while you eat your breakfast is first class.
Some of the holes are simply stunning. The 1st is one the best golf holes I’ve ever played. It wouldn’t look out of place in any of the top 5 courses in the uk. The greens and the green complexes are impeccable and the quality of the greens is amazing. They are as pure as it gets. It definitely does need to mature in places, the 6th and 7th holes just look like they’ve been plonked in a farmers field and with the trees been so small you can cut off a massive corner of the 7th and make the hole redundant. Once the trees have grown it’ll be a different hole. I could literally mention every hole from the 9th all the way in as great holes, it’s literally like one signature hole after another.
It’s not just the course though, the practice facilities there are genuinely world class and it’s no surprise that Tommy Fleetwood and some other tour pros are regular visitors. It’s without doubt destined for big things in the future and my friend who works there and got me on has told me about the plans for the future and it’s going to just get better and better. If you do get a chance to play it do not hesitate it’s an amazing experience.

D

Deleted member 21258

I’ll let Ian do a write up but a top day had by all today - top chaps.
World class, not one boring hole. First time played and hopefully not my last.

Got mine hanging up in my office, think it is the best keepsake that I have received from any golf course.

Very nice extra.