Most difficult course you have played?

• Thread starter Deleted member 23270
  • Start date

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
As a kid we had entered the Junior Open at Crossland Heath. Now if you aren't familiar with it, it's on top of a hill, almost on top of the Pennines.
We went up the day before to reccy the course, it was a warm, calm, July day. Not a problem.
On the day of the Open, it was pouring with rain and blowing a gale, completely different animal. I think I'd had about 120 blows by the time I marked my card as a no return on the 12th hole. Abysmal.

That's the hardest course I've played in the hardest conditions, but still stand by my opinion that Willow Valley is the hardest course I've played - but I've not played any set up for tournament golf.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I'll throw another one into the mix that challenges you. Newmacher off the pegs can be brutal, long with firm very slick greens and little margin for error.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Hillside in very windy conditions, thought it was going to be my day when I scored 20 on the front, but then recorded 8 on the back and it was a grind.

Silloth on a meet with the Scottish & Scouser's was a brutal day a few years back, I could hardly stand on the 1st tee, long way to go to be beat up, not experienced that before since Anderlecht :oops:

Zig

Visit site
In Ireland;
Druids Heath & the European clubs in Co. Wicklow
Two really tough courses that reward good play but punish, severely, errors

Any of our west coast links gems in wind are a real test.
Rosapenna (Sandy Hills), Carne, and the Glashedy at Ballyliffen off the back tees. All brutal. And brilliant.

cvieri32

Hacker
Visit site
La Cala Europa - never lost so many balls
Marbella Golf & Country Club - when the Marshall says don’t bother with the driver on the front 9, you know you’re in trouble
Jumeirah Golf Estates (Fire) - very long, on a chronic hangover in 42 degrees was a recipe for disaster :ROFLMAO:

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ganton
Royal St David's
Southerness

All pretty flat terrain, but long and relentless. No room for any mistakes, irrespective of weather conditions.

Too good for me. But I'll happily keep going back and taking a beating.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Marbella Golf & Country Club - when the Marshall says don’t bother with the driver on the front 9, you know you’re in trouble
Jumeirah Golf Estates (Fire) - very long, on a chronic hangover in 42 degrees was a recipe for disaster :ROFLMAO:

La Cala Europa is built on land that shouldn't be part of a golf course..

D

Deleted member 1147

Ganton
Royal St David's
Southerness

All pretty flat terrain, but long and relentless. No room for any mistakes, irrespective of weather conditions.

Too good for me. But I'll happily keep going back and taking a beating.
How did I forget about Ganton?
Tough as nails!

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Are you suggesting that Pieman, a pillar of the forums golf community, a gentleman and scholar, playing off a single figure handicap and a servant of the Crown would imbibe copious amounts of alcohol on a forum golf trip enough to affect his ability to perform on the golf course ?

............ yep, I've seen and played with him too - spot on Dando ??

At least he could hold his beer, unlike the lightweight he brought with him. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

D

Deleted member 17920

Cant decide as all are too difficult for me these days!.

Royal Birkdale and Trump Aberdeen

carldudley

Visit site
Had the pleasure of playing the Fire course with a very experienced member, was akin to having a caddie with me the whole way, was an absolute gent. Would've doubled my shots round 18 if it wasn't for him.
Then we mulled over the round in the huge hot tub in the changing rooms!

D

Deleted member 23270

Only walked it but Valderrama looked a tad tight.;)
Valderrama is the only course I've played where hitting the fairway isn't enough, you have to be in precisely the right place. You can be on the fairway and not have a shot, it's brutal.