Most difficult course you have played?

• Thread starter Deleted member 23270
  • Start date

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Back 9 at Carnoustie when the wind is in the "wrong" direction...... 18 or 19 points going out and you think you've cracked it.
3 or 4 points coming back in, (if you're lucky), and you're ready to jack it all in.
On a visit one day in May very many years ago we played the Burnside in the morning. Absolutely stunning, shirt sleeves, not a breath of wind. It was beautiful, and we couldn't wait to get out and play the main event in the afternoon.
Stopped for "lunch", (in those days it was find a bakers in the town and snaffle maybe a meat pie), and by the time we made the 1st tee, it had clouded over and the wind was getting up.
On went the jumpers, followed shortly after by the waterproofs and bobble hats. I have never (ever) played in a day of such two halves as that.
The back 9 was a feat of endurance. One guy had to walk off it was that bad.....we had to bundle him in the back of the van with a blanket over him.
I have never been so happy to walk off of a golf course in my life.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
First time I played the West Course at La Manga. Its a tough, tight track demanding accuracy and thought. Quick greens and trees, so many trees Mickey. Deep ravines and OOB everywhere.
That first time, I felt my soul ebbing away in the 36 degree heat. But played it loads since then and love it now. But that first time was the toughest day I have had on a golf course.
Highlight of that day was on the 17th tee my mate's look of dejection that he hadn'y zipped his bag up properly and with a forlorn and soul pained look uttered the immortal "aw boys, ma baws have fell oot!" I was howling at that, but you could feel his pain (he wad also 18 over on the 17th tee)

Macster

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Dove Mountain Arizona, just after the W.Matchplay,.......trying to keep it ON the Greens before getting the Putter started was a challenge in itself.
Watching Pro's rip it up tells you just how bloody good they are.