Most difficult course you have played?

• Thread starter Deleted member 23270
  • Start date

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We should amend this thread to toughest course not played in a howling gale, pouring rain etc. Where isn't tough in a howling gale?

Toss up for me would be Pannal and Ramside Hall, Cathedral course. Pannal is by far the better course so that wins the actual prize. Both played in neutral weather conditions, for the record ?

Pannal really beat me up when I played in with some fellow forumers - never visited so many trees. Need to play it again as I didn't enjoy the course. Ramside was brutal when we played it. The new course and the top holes were ridiculous!!

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Pannal really beat me up when I played in with some fellow forumers - never visited so many trees. Need to play it again as I didn't enjoy the course. Ramside was brutal when we played it. The new course and the top holes were ridiculous!!

Pannal have done quite a lot of tree clearing the last few years so you might enjoy it more now. ;)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I could have written this post about both experiences. I know Pannal is a cracking course and I want another go at it, I think I hit straighter now. It could still beat me up but I want to try. Ramside, I will not be playing that course again. The older one, yes, but the new one can take a jump :mad:

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I could have written this post about both experiences. I know Pannal is a cracking course and I want another go at it, I think I hit straighter now. It could still beat me up but I want to try. Ramside, I will not be playing that course again. The older one, yes, but the new one can take a jump :mad:

Agree - I doubt I'd play the new Ramside course if someone paid me to play.

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
what was it about hopeman you found hard?

just interested .

There wasn’t much margin for error, if you were a little wayward you were in the gorse.
Many of locals we talked to rated it the toughest in the area.
Towards the end of the round the weather turned, it started blowing and raining which didn’t help matters.

My pal played in an open the other year, hit his tee shot on the first only slightly left, you will find that no bother said the starter, got to where he thought his ball was and couldn’t find it. :)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
There wasn’t much margin for error, if you were a little wayward you were in the gorse.
Many of locals we talked to rated it the toughest in the area.
Towards the end of the round the weather turned, it started blowing and raining which didn’t help matters.

My pal played in an open the other year, hit his tee shot on the first only slightly left, you will find that no bother said the starter, got to where he thought his ball was and couldn’t find it. :)
he should have hit it right:LOL:

i suppose you could say with it being pretty short driver not really req, lovely course though great fun, play it reg with hickory clubs and its a perfect length for those.

Last edited:

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
i suppose you could say with it being pretty short driver not really req, lovely course though great fun, play it reg with hickory clubs and its a perfect length for those.

Oh yes, I agree, was not a good day weather wise either, very windy, I take an annual week away around Elgin so should get to play it again.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Oh yes, I agree, was not a good day weather wise either, very windy, I take an annual week away around Elgin so should get to play it again.

last few times i've played we have had great weather, but as the locals say, if it does rain there you "get wet":ROFLMAO:
been a country member at Moray on and off as i'm just on the edge og Country membership so cheap for me, but takes over an hour and i have to drive past my club to get there which seems pointless though always enjoy both those courses, played Covesea 9 hole for the fisrt time last year, was quite good fun with Hickorys, but would be a waste of time with modern clubs

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
D

Deleted member 3432

It is a beautiful walk and location, just a shame the course has a habit of biting you on the backside when mother nature isn't feeling too kind.

Back 9 can be brutal.

Front 9 is not much easier :cry:

paddy78

Visit site
I played Ballyliffin in a hoolie, NEVER AGAIN !!!!!
What a shame. Ballyliffen (Glashedy) is a great course but I can imagine in adverse weather conditions you couldn't appreciate its finer details. Donegal is a funny one - amazing links courses in that part of the world but the remoteness makes it less appealing to visitors.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
What a shame. Ballyliffen (Glashedy) is a great course but I can imagine in adverse weather conditions you couldn't appreciate its finer details. Donegal is a funny one - amazing links courses in that part of the world but the remoteness makes it less appealing to visitors.

I played the course on two consecutive days, it is a fantastic course, but the conditions on the 2nd day were like nothing I have experienced before, I would willingly play the course again but not the weather