Most daunting tee shot

• Thread starter Deleted member 25172
  • Start date

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Sounds like you had a great time - would love to know wha the course plays like!! Train looks awesome too (we did the Vancouver-Whistler-Banff-Calgary route, with ski stops between, but in a hire car not train). One of my favourite places in the world!

Golfing there.... I might need to wait till my kids are a bit older (so I can go without them!!!) or divorce the missus and go with golf mates :) Those few weeks where you can golf and ski would be perfect. :)

We certainly did. Banff Springs was in a book my Mum bought me years ago and just jumped out at me (as did Mid Ocean). I'd always fancied the train and love Gordon Lightfoot's "Canadian Railroad Trilogy", so we managed to roll it all together and incorporated the Calgary Stampede.

The course is absolutely fantastic. Think of a Surrey heathland course at the base of The Rockies with more spectacular wildlife. I've always said that if I came back from the doctor's with a very unpleasant diagnosis that my first phone call would be to Air Canada, that's how highly I rated the whole trip.

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Never liked the first hole at Alferini, nr Marbella. Narrow fairway, bushes, trees and rubbish all down the left and a ravine all down the right that comes all the way across the front of the green.
Half the holes at the now defunct Monte Mayor course could also come into the equation.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Never liked the first hole at Alferini, nr Marbella. Narrow fairway, bushes, trees and rubbish all down the left and a ravine all down the right that comes all the way across the front of the green.
Half the holes at the now defunct Monte Mayor course could also come into the equation.
Agree about Alferini. Still not sure where the fairway is on that hole.

elmoag

Club Champion
Visit site
View attachment 31114
Widest fairway I think I've played, no carry required, no trees, no tricks. Hardest my heart has ever pumped on a golf course, and the most nervous I've felt about playing a golf shot ever. Intimidating - you bet! (Stock image - not my swing or outfit) :)
Totally agree we played it day after the open and there was hundreds of people watching and the fairway just narrowed in front of you as you considered all the ways this could go wrong. Basically blocked it straight right but it looked like I took the tiger line and got a big round of applause :)

Reactions: Zig

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Our 1st is 'interesting', especially these days of no warm-up! 135 to 155 Par 3 (very back id 175), but green is only 24yds deep with water around 3 sides and wind is normally a serious factor too! I lay up these days, but that's not easy either and generally results in iffy downhill lie!

D

Deleted Member 1156

Our 1st is 'interesting', especially these days of no warm-up! 135 to 155 Par 3 (very back id 175), but green is only 24yds deep with water around 3 sides and wind is normally a serious factor too! I lay up these days, but that's not easy either and generally results in iffy downhill lie!
The Shire??

When I played there my mate rocked up, straight onto the tee and hit it to about 3 inches. He made the putt.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
The Shire??

When I played there my mate rocked up, straight onto the tee and hit it to about 3 inches. He made the putt.
Indeed! Marmite course (especially that hole as 1st - it's much 'simpler' as 10th when 2 tee start) but I love it - and everything about it, which is why I'm happy to travel nearly 50 miles to play it!

Bet your mate hasn't repeated that feat!

Zig

Visit site
Where's that?

I didn't reply as I thought you were being ironic. But now I feel rude incase you're not and genuinely don't know! It's the first on the Old Course, St Andrews, with the Old Course hotel and the 17th in the distance. Apologies.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
1st hole at Winterfield in Dunbar.

225/230 yard par 3 pretty much all carry across a bay in the Firth of Forth

Not the most appealing first shot of the day

D

Deleted Member 1156

I bet that ruins a few medal cards before they've really got going. If you lay up what are you hitting off the tee. How does it affect pace of play, especially in medals if players are reloading or dropping if the ball goes in the water
Why would you lay up on a 135-155 yard par 3?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Widest fairway I think I've played, no carry required, no trees, no tricks. Hardest my heart has ever pumped on a golf course, and the most nervous I've felt about playing a golf shot ever. Intimidating - you bet! (Stock image - not my swing or outfit) :)
I don't know if a joke went over my head but how is a wide fairway with no trouble at all daunting?