Most daunting tee shot

• Thread starter Deleted member 25172
  • Start date

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Why would you lay up on a 135-155 yard par 3?
Because it's the first shot of the day with no warm-up available (currently), there's generally a solid wind and (the real decider) the percentages simply work - for we wimps!
If it was dead calm and I'd warmed up, then I'd very probably opt for taking the pin on.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Because it's the first shot of the day with no warm-up available (currently), there's generally a solid wind and (the real decider) the percentages simply work - for we wimps!
If it was dead calm and I'd warmed up, then I'd very probably opt for taking the pin on.
As I recall, a lay up would leave you a 30-50 yard pitch over water? I would much rather have the full shot in!

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Our 1st is 'interesting', especially these days of no warm-up! 135 to 155 Par 3 (very back id 175), but green is only 24yds deep with water around 3 sides and wind is normally a serious factor too! I lay up these days, but that's not easy either and generally results in iffy downhill lie!
I’m actually struggling to get over this. I’m gobsmacked. Lay up on 150 yards?!? Surely the chip over for your second has the same risk?

The Autumn Wind

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I will never forget standing on the 1st tee about to tee off at The Old Course, St Andrews. I was as excited as I've ever been on any 1st tee. Excited as hell.

But looking down that 1st hole, it wasn't a daunting shot at all. Even off the white tees into a fairly stiff wind (into the wind, the second shot over the Swilken Burn was the daunting shot on that hole).

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The 1st at Allerton Muni, at 5.35 on a Saturday morning, circa 1989, a light drizzle has formed.

Your ball has inched closer down the trough, after waiting for 45 minutes and you have seen a succession of people hit a decent 200 yard plus drive down the fairway, but you also just seen one lad take 3 air shots, and then knob it 5 inches off the tee with the next swing, and the harumphs from 30 hairy-arsed ford night shift workers, backed up by 20 cabbies who have just come off a Friday night shift around town, is audible.

You look down at your Seve Ballesteros 5 wood (proper wood), which only looks 2 inches wide and the grip was put on by Peter Alliss's dad when he was a young apprentice, and couldn't even sell mars bars as there was a war on. You have a pair of reebok classics on without any grip and the map is original pre-WW1 that your standing on. You have a molitor ball caked in Mesopatamian mud and the tee has given you a splinter already. Its also your first game of proper golf, outside of a pitch and putt.

Its not all about yards, carries, wind, OOB, streams and bunkers you know.

Next question?;)

D

Deleted member 25172

The 1st at Allerton Muni, at 5.35 on a Saturday morning, circa 1989, a light drizzle has formed.

Your ball has inched closer down the trough, after waiting for 45 minutes and you have seen a succession of people hit a decent 200 yard plus drive down the fairway, but you also just seen one lad take 3 air shots, and then knob it 5 inches off the tee with the next swing, and the harumphs from 30 hairy-arsed ford night shift workers, backed up by 20 cabbies who have just come off a Friday night shift around town, is audible.

You look down at your Seve Ballesteros 5 wood (proper wood), which only looks 2 inches wide and the grip was put on by Peter Alliss's dad when he was a young apprentice, and couldn't even sell mars bars as there was a war on. You have a pair of reebok classics on without any grip and the map is original pre-WW1 that your standing on. You have a molitor ball caked in Mesopatamian mud and the tee has given you a splinter already. Its also your first game of proper golf, outside of a pitch and putt.

Next question?;)

Could it have been because you hadn’t been fitted properly for the club that made you so anxious? ?

Zig

Visit site
I don't know if a joke went over my head but how is a wide fairway with no trouble at all daunting?
drive4show has summed it up more quickly than me....

- You're on the Old Course.
- With loads of people watching you.
- You don't want to look a d***.
- And the world's worst hacker would be able to get it on the fairway.

- And I was bricking it. No shot before, or since, has ever made me feel like that. :)

Zig

Visit site
Yes, it's the occasion. 1st time I played the Old Course (1993) I was shaking sufficiently to hit a hit hook left that just about stayed in... in 2017 on last visit, nailed a 3 wood straight in line with the green leaving a little flick on. Big smile.
Haha... to make you feel better, I was playing against my brother and he hit a pull hook off the 18th which ran out of bounds after the path between the first and the warm up putting green. He's never lived it down!! Another of our group had a wedge into the 18th, shanked it, and it bobbled up and down the road to the right, bouncing off a few car tyres before resting about 2inches back in bounds.

Awesome experience. (y)

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
The first at the Old Course send tingles up your spine and down your arms. Then you have a bunch of randoms watching you. It’s a good thing the fairway is so wide.

Reactions: Zig

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site

Next question?;)

:) I played a set of Slazenger Seve Ballesteros clubs today including 1, 3 and 5 woods.

Next question is, what happened to your tee shot? :D

sunshine

Visit site
Our 1st is 'interesting', especially these days of no warm-up! 135 to 155 Par 3 (very back id 175), but green is only 24yds deep with water around 3 sides and wind is normally a serious factor too! I lay up these days, but that's not easy either and generally results in iffy downhill lie!

I remember wandering down to the first tee one Saturday morning. Must have been a club competition as the tee was about 175 yards. Too difficult for most of the people I watched.
The approach to 18 was also too difficult for most. Everyone was laying up short of the water in front of the green, trying to pitch on and seeing their ball land on the green then shoot over into the lake over the back.

The shire is a very challenging course, too tough for some of the hackers I’ve seen playing it :ROFLMAO:

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
The first at Harefield yonks ago. A muni, you had to get there before 5am to put a ball in the chute, a nap in the car, and then from 7, you then stood by the first, with your other 3, waiting for your ball to come out.
First shot, par 4, ob all down the right, I mean 3 yards off the tee, all down the right. Sloping fairway, right to left, to a green, tight to ob, big drop off left.
Could do worse than blow it two fairways left off the tee, but don't go right. Just don't.
Always with 50 odd people in the queue behind you.