Most daunting tee shot

• Thread starter Deleted member 25172
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 23344

Don't understand holes like that. What do you do if you can only carry it 210? Just aim for the nicest looking bit of rough? That sort of thing wouldn't fill me with fear, more resignation of how pointless it is. The ones I find more daunting are any where you have to go through a very narrow gap, plus you can't afford to fade it because there's trouble on the right. 3rd tee at my course is like that, and subsequently is my least favourite tee of the round.

I can’t understand courses that have tees requiring a carry that is beyond high handicappers and seniors ... it is discriminatory. Clearly, better players who have the distance are not bothered by the rough or other hazards within the first 200 yards anyway, so what purpose does it serve? As Orikoru says, it is pointless. Clear the rough and be more inclusive.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can’t understand courses that have tees requiring a carry that is beyond high handicappers and seniors ... it is discriminatory. Clearly, better players who have the distance are not bothered by the rough or other hazards within the first 200 yards anyway, so what purpose does it serve? As Orikoru says, it is pointless. Clear the rough and be more inclusive.
If it's only for the championship tees or something, then ok. But yeah if a regular white tee has that long a carry I think it's stupid. Half the seniors might as well skip the hole. :LOL:

D

Deleted member 25172

Golf is a game of psychology, so the long carry tee’s do fill a purpose even for those that can carry it.

If it was the case of say yellow tee’s having holes where you need to carry 200+ then I’d agree with you, but as long as the options are available I don’t see the issue.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
7th at Hankley Common is the one that I’ve found most daunting. I know I can carry it over the heather, but it also needs a good strike.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
7th at Hankley Common is the one that I’ve found most daunting. I know I can carry it over the heather, but it also needs a good strike.
Can't argue. https://www.hankley.co.uk/hole_7

When we played H4H it was our second hole of the day and all you can see is the heather. Stand on the green at the top of the slope and look around the course all you can see are oasis of green amongst a sea of purple heather. Looks magnificent but doesn't fill you with confidence

The Autumn Wind

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Stroke Index 1 I believe and I parred it the first time I played it. We played there again the following year and let’s just say I now average double bogey on that hole ?

edit: SI 2 now
Yes, it’s index 2 now. Bizarrely, stroke index 1 on the Europa Course is the one I most frequently birdie, and also eagled it once. The par 5 11th hole. All downhill, a well struck draw off the tee leaves a long iron to the green.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
One morning many, many moons ago I found myself quaking in my boots (and nursing a serious hangover) standing on the 1st a Royal Birkdale. Quaking as the tee shot was daunting in any case (RB after all) - but more so given my condition and that I was being video'd and had an audience of a good dozen or so. Somehow got it on the fairway.

16th at Pitlochry I always found very daunting. A 180yd downhill par 3 doesn't really do it justice :)
Couldn't agree more - there is no real bail-out shot on the first and if you chicken out and hit it short the second shot is also very tough.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I've been here in the Spring - sadly two weeks before the course opened - but walked a few holes and it looked spectacular. Bucket list (and remortgage) in mind ;)

Do it. It was a bucket list course for me and worth every penny, along with the train. Can't take it with you. ;)

Reactions: Zig

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
View attachment 31114
Widest fairway I think I've played, no carry required, no trees, no tricks. Hardest my heart has ever pumped on a golf course, and the most nervous I've felt about playing a golf shot ever. Intimidating - you bet! (Stock image - not my swing or outfit) :)

You aren't alone in that, only tee shot I've ever felt like that on.

Reactions: Zig

Zig

Visit site
Do it. It was a bucket list course for me and worth every penny, along with the train. Can't take it with you. ;)

Sounds like you had a great time - would love to know wha the course plays like!! Train looks awesome too (we did the Vancouver-Whistler-Banff-Calgary route, with ski stops between, but in a hire car not train). One of my favourite places in the world!

Golfing there.... I might need to wait till my kids are a bit older (so I can go without them!!!) or divorce the missus and go with golf mates :) Those few weeks where you can golf and ski would be perfect. :)