Most daunting tee shot

• Thread starter Deleted member 25172
  • Start date

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
The second at my place, it's only about 115 from the whites and 109 from the yellows but it's in my head and there's a 50/50 chance I'll mess up my tee shot, usually a fat that doesn't even get half way there, otherwise a bladed shot that could go anywhere.
1 in 4 might be on or close to the green.

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The 12th on the Marquess at Woburn scared me. I have only played it once but it scared me and I made a complete hash of the tee shot.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I'm sure BlueinMunich will agree with me that the 16th on Port Royal Bermuda is quite a daunting prospect. When we played it it was about 195 yards on the side of a cliff and a fairly stiff breeze blowing.

Much as I hate to agree with you, you are right, as is Traminator about the water colour. When the :poop:storm is over, my carer is suggesting we go back to the hotel next door...

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Struggled at Hankley Common with some of the carries anyway so can understand the OP's concerns. Played the West course at Wentworth and that was a slog with Sunday best drivers needed more than once. Even at club level, Tylney Park is a course we play every year in a match (usually!) and one year their captain thought it would be "sporting" to have it off the blacks. These matches are supposed to be competitive but fun matches and as a result we'd picked a few older/higher handicappers. To be fair so had they and no-one enjoyed the experience and the captain was forced by his side to make a sizeable donation to the lady captains charity as a result. Our 229 (SI10) opener while it has no long carry isn't enjoyed by many especially those not getting a shot and most will take 4 an move on

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Forced long carries must be one of the things that most takes the enjoyment out of golf. What's the point when you know before you hit your tee shot that it can't make the fairway?

I'm a firm believer people should play the tees that suit their game and ability. Mixed tee competitions for handicap golf to allow everyone to compete fairly while playing a suitable course for them.
I am 100% behind you. We've got to the point in one of our roll ups which attracts a wide range of players in terms of handicaps (low single figures - 28+) and ages (early 30's - 80+) where the older guys, and the higher handicappers can't make the carry over our third and with several par 3's at 200+ yards they can't reach it can't have been fun knowing you'd struggle to score on the hole. They moved it off the yellows and everyone is commenting how much more fun it is. The longer hitters now have to adjust clubbing, even off the tee as bunkers/ditches now in play more. Indeed over the winter the club moved all comps to the yellows and while a shorter course, the lack of run on the ball made it a challenge for all anyway

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It’s the 4th on the Europa Course at La Cala. Scroll up to the start of this thread, I nominated it too. But I didn’t include the good graphic like you did. It’s just a horrible looking tee shot and I rarely hit a good one on it !
You are correct, I shouldn’t try to draw and research during work!

Really tough tee shot, I actually hit a good one and the second shot was just as hard ?
and to add to this, it’s actually 440/450 when I look at the right scorecard. That’s why it was so long for a second shot haha.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Wow, ive seen a lot of spectacular cliff top golf holes. But not with that sea colour as the backdrop ! ?

Even better is that every room in the hotel looks over that sea. If you are at the front (we luckily got an upgrade for returning - thank you Pompano Beach Club (y) ), then at night there is absolutely no artificial light as you look out, and the beauty of the stars is stunning.

Eagle2

Visit site
The tee shot that I always struggle with (and I've faced it at least a dozen times) is the 4th tee on the Europa Course at La Cala. It's the most intimidating tee shot for me. Long par 4 that plays much longer than it's yardage, the tee shot needs to be hit to a tiny sliver of fairway, anything left is a lost ball into a wide river bed ravine, and anything right is lost in a cliff face covered in overgrowth. And if you manage that, you have to cross back over the river ravine to try to hit the green.
It's consistently the hardest par 4 I've ever played, and most of it is down to how difficult the tee shot is.
Have tried playing it many ways. Have even tried hitting a driver left of the river to the fairway there, but it's completely blind going that way and have never ever found a ball in play despite some solid straight strikes (or so I thought).
It doesn't help either, that I always have to play it with a blinding hangover from the night before.
http://www.lacalagolfhouse.com/campoeuropa/

Stroke Index 1 I believe and I parred it the first time I played it. We played there again the following year and let’s just say I now average double bogey on that hole ?

edit: SI 2 now

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
1st at Machrahanish after you have driven across Scotland having snap hooked your last four shots of the previous round. Somehow got a 5-wood in play and survived the rest of the round.