More Matchplay Please

Mr_T

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Its not that I have anything against strokeplay, as I think its the best form of the game to play, but I think when watching golf on the telly I would like to see more matchplay, as I think it is far more exciting to watch than strokeplay, obviously the majority of tournaments should be stroekplay but I think there are too few matchplay events, does anyone else agree? I also think that the US PGA, which imo is a bit of an afterthought in the major season, would benefit a lot from switching back to its original format :)

Cmansdad

Club Champion
Visit site
Definately agree with that.

I think that the tours need to do something different every now and then to spice things up a bit, maybe a bit of strokeplay to start and then matchplay with those that make the cut.

Swinger

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How about a bit Stableford instead?

I like the Matchplay events in the calendar and the first few days a rammed full of action but the last day and even the one or two before that can be a bit boring.

It's all a bit pot luck in the Matchplay events too so wouldn't want to see any more. Maybe thats why Poulter does so well, just lucky!!

Cmansdad

Club Champion
Visit site
Anything different has got to be good

They could have a modified points system giving extra reward for birdies and eagles to encourage more attacking play. The course could easily be set up for it.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

They could have a modified points system giving extra reward for birdies and eagles to encourage more attacking play. The course could easily be set up for it.

they already tried that in USA, didnt really take off with the pro's.
Stableford is also better for higher handicaps (Hackers charter I think its referred to around this forum), no benefit to the pro's so might as well be strokeplay.

I'd like to see some FUN matchplay golf where the elite have to try all the shots in their arsenal rather than just go straight and long

jammag

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I agree with this more matchplay or different formatted events would go down well. There is a tournament in the US where 4 clubs have about 8 golfers to there name and they play in a format for there club and that was pretty good to watch. Maybe a few pairs events or even a modified stableford par =1 birdie =3 eagle =5, now that would see some attacking golf.

slugger

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I played in a powerplay comp a couple of weeks ago at Kinross. Great fun and a very new aspect on risk and reward. Shame i played like a chump but i'd defo be up for more of it in future.

TXL

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

The PGA Tour used to have an event that was played in the Denver area where they used a modified stableford scoring system. The modified scoring was exactly as you say, extra points for birdies & eagles and also minus points for bogies & double bogies!

Just looked at their schedule and it looks like the tournament is no more :(

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I used to love the World Matchplay event at Wentworth in the Autumn... a great season's closer and hours of live action on the Beeb.

Not sure which seems more old fashioned now... live golf on the BBC, or the season ending in October!