Moe Norman

HPIMG

Visit site
I was told to watch some moe Norman videos because he was one of the best ball strikers ever. I was a bit surprised by his grip the 10 finger grip and he doesn’t hold the club in his fingers. So why was he so good and why don’t many players use his grip or hold the club the way he does ?

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's probably more a case of function over fashion. Moe striped it (so legend and many eye witnesses say). Goes to show you can swing it however you want, as long as the bottom of the swing is good when the club hits the ball.

The story of Moe Norman, golf’s troubled genius | Golf News and Tour Information | Golf Digest

An eccentric character. Believe in one tournament, he was leading so hit PW off the tee, and driver as a second shot and made birdie...instead of doing it the 'traditional' route.

Shep2

Blackballed
Visit site
Bryson has adopted and adapted many of Moe's principles! Plenty of vids of Moe that show his swing and approach to the game. The story of going across a bridge instead of laying up is another typical Moe one!

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A fascinating character who had autism to a small degree, held the club in the palm of his hands. Mo had many rounds in the fifties also held many course records. Because he was Canadian he was not well received on the PGA tour. There is a pro who got to know and work with him called Todd Graves you can find him on YouTube.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
A fascinating character who had autism to a small degree, held the club in the palm of his hands. Mo had many rounds in the fifties also held many course records. Because he was Canadian he was not well received on the PGA tour. There is a pro who got to know and work with him called Todd Graves you can find him on YouTube.
A mate of mine, former scratch player now in his 70s, is going through the Todd Graves programme & says he's never hit the ball better.

AussieKB

Visit site
When the Canadian Open attracted a lot of the Top Pro's, when word got out that Moe was on the range all would go to watch, Faldo being one of them, for him to attract those player's in his retirement speaks volume for his ball striking ability.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Think Mo Norman was only concerned with what the club head was doing when it hit the ball - the strike was the only thing. I don’t think he was much bothered at all (possibly not at all) about what his address, stance, backswing or follow-through were like as long as the clubhead strike on the ball made the ball do what he wanted the ball to do.

I am changing my swing with pretty much the same philosophy in mind - letting my body intuitively find the way to swing a club that enables me to make the ball do what I want it to do…rendering most of the more ‘technical‘ golf swing tuition redundant.

Swango1980

Visit site
"That's the feeling of greatness" as he hit the ball in a clinic. "I'm the only one with the feeling of greatness"

Another quote of his, "I don't know how to hit it badly"

His feelings towards golf are the exact opposite of mine. Every time I strike the ball, my quote is "that is dog (poo)". And, I can happily admit, "I don't know how to strike it well"

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Think Mo Norman was only concerned with what the club head was doing when it hit the ball - the strike was the only thing. I don’t think he was much bothered at all (possibly not at all) about what his address, stance, backswing or follow-through were like as long as the clubhead strike on the ball made the ball do what he wanted the ball to do.

I am changing my swing with pretty much the same philosophy in mind - letting my body intuitively find the way to swing a club that enables me to make the ball do what I want it to do…rendering most of the more ‘technical‘ golf swing tuition redundant.

I really dont think that was the case at all. He set up and swung exactly the same way every time. He was acutely aware of what he was doing.
Sometimes his feelings and what he was actually doing didnt exactly match but he knew precisely how he wanted to set up and the movements he wanted to do with his body.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I really dont think that was the case at all. He set up and swung exactly the same way every time. He was acutely aware of what he was doing.
Sometimes his feelings and what he was actually doing didnt exactly match but he knew precisely how he wanted to set up and the movements he wanted to do with his body.
Sorry - yes of course you are right, I was thinking more along the lines of what others might think of how he did it. He did it his way, and that way was the way that he found instinctively worked for him.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've read a lot about Mo and he was such an interesting person. When on tour he lived in his car, his clubs were always filthy with no head covers. He wore quite outlandish clothes that annoyed the PGA who didn't want him on tour. He would use Coca-Cola bottles for tees and also hit off ridiculously long tees to show that he could. If someone in his group was slow on the green he would lay down while they were putting. What a character but there's no doubt that he was a fantastic ball striker with a great set of course records.

"Only me, no one else can hit the ball properly, I'm the only one"