Mince Pies

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
You can tell that you no longer live in the UK. Fire up the oven to heat a mince pie with the cost of electricity now :oops: . The choice is practically oven v golf membership :cry:. It's 9 seconds in the microwave for those of us in Blighty still.

Our oven is gas (bottled) it’s about £6 for a refill bottle. I’ll be lucky if that lasts 3 months… actually I've just realised our annual gas bill is way cheaper than the money spent on mince pies :oops:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
You can tell that you no longer live in the UK. Fire up the oven to heat a mince pie with the cost of electricity now :oops: . The choice is practically oven v golf membership :cry:. It's 9 seconds in the microwave for those of us in Blighty still.
I haven't used my double oven in years...except for storing oven trays that I haven't used in years.
The halogen on the other hand is used almost every day, however, it's probably not big enough for families

HOV17D_1_Supersize.jpg

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Apologies to those who already know this but I didn't so I did my own experiment.
Yesterday, I put a mince pie, wrapped up in a freezer bag into the freezer.
First thing thing this morning it was solid.
I've just unwrapped it and it was........................perfect
I also froze a scone and that defrosted perfectly too.
I'm off down to Tesco to stock up :)

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't warm them every time but I do every so often. It feels oddly decadent so it becomes a little treat in itself 😄.

I agree about the timings it's a tough call. I probably go 9-10 but no more. Is a hot minced pie the only thing close to the temperature of a lasagne in a pub? In case the pastry falls apart, it often does when warmed, I also eat it with a spoon if heated. It makes it easier.

Who'd have thought this would be a Thursday night chat but then I've just finished the latest Richard Osman book and I can hear Joyce talking 🤣

Thing is that an over heated mince pie is easily sorted with a big dollop of whipped cream.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Apologies to those who already know this but I didn't so I did my own experiment.
Yesterday, I put a mince pie, wrapped up in a freezer bag into the freezer.
First thing thing this morning it was solid.
I've just unwrapped it and it was........................perfect
I also froze a scone and that defrosted perfectly too.
I'm off down to Tesco to stock up :)
One year, I may well have posted this on here, I went a bit overboard in January when they were selling boxes for pennies. I ended up with 48 mince pies, 8 boxes, in the freezer, may have been more 🤭. I worked my way through them during the course of the year. The last one was as good as the first 😋. They are brilliant for freezing, there is no negative impact on them. Welcome to the future 🤣

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not seen much in the way of mince pie variety yet this year. The classic is the best but I do like to try some of the concoctions that supermarkets come up with. Not seen anything yet this year though.

Alan Clifford

Visit site
Have any of you mince pie afficionardos ever tried them in an air fryer? After all, it's just a small, fan oven

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Have any of you mince pie afficionardos ever tried them in an air fryer? After all, it's just a small, fan oven
I haven't. I have an air fryer but it wont be able to beat 9 seconds in a microwave so I don't really see the point. I'm not getting why oven heat is better than microwave heat, in this instance (different for other items)

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I haven't. I have an air fryer but it wont be able to beat 9 seconds in a microwave so I don't really see the point. I'm not getting why oven heat is better than microwave heat, in this instance (different for other items)

My guess is that the oven can crisp up the pastry a bit whereas things can go a little soggy in the microwave (though not in 9s)

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My guess is that the oven can crisp up the pastry a bit whereas things can go a little soggy in the microwave (though not in 9s)
The microwave efffectively heats up the inside very quickly hence H & S warning about "The filling might be hot" ;) The oven heats up the outside first so the filling could be only warm whilst the outside hot.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was picking something up from Sainsbury's last night and saw their 'Taste The Difference' range, brandy infused, reduced to £1.75. I had one at tea break today and it was lovely. Well worth getting.