Mince Pies

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
I know some of you guys are real connoisseur of the festive mince pie. its fast approaching the time to stock up the cupboards, I am looking for recommendations for this years Christmas favorites.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
My 83 year old mother still makes a mean mince pie. If you manage to dodge the ones with the stray hair or piece of eggshell in, you’re on to a real winner.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for that mental image of granny’s hairy pie at breakfast. ?

I’m averaging 1 mincepie every two days. Tesco Finest and M&S Collection both decent. I save making my own when closer to Xmas.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
As usual my supply will be virtually non existent for choice, i'll just get whatever I can and be grateful for any at all in a country that doesn't traditionally eat them

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Lord Tyron is the expert mince pie tester .I still have some from lst year which I did not realise. Value for money Aldi sloe gin takes some beating but M and S are always very good.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Go for the all butter options, often marketed as having brandy in them. The basic, 99p for a pack of 6 tend to be a bit dry and they are mean on the filling. If you go up a level, between £1.50-£2.00 for 6, take your pick at that point as they are then much of a muchness, then you can not go far wrong. Aldi and Morrisons are my local and their better versions are equally lovely. M & S also deliver at that level. I suspect most brands at that price point and description will be similar ie very nice, maybe even made on the same line and just packed differently as these things often are. Just don't go bargain basement, you will end up disappointed and that is frankly criminal :D.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I so want to like them more than their humungous amount of calories but can't do it! There's better things to spend my calories on :)

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
Thanks for that excellent assessment Lord Tyrion.
I noticed the Holly Lane bargain brand at Aldi are on offer till the 12th at 49p for 6, will have to get some for when the neighbours call round. ;)
Aldi is my goto with a Lidl across the road usually try the 'Special' ones they offer and pick some up from other places that we may visit.
What's your thoughts on all the added extras like frangipane and almond?
I personally prefer the traditional, they tend to do it with a lot of foods around Christmas especially desserts, all too over indulgent for me.

Edit: Just read Tugglesf239 comment, I may be changing my mind.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks for that excellent assessment Lord Tyrion.
I noticed the Holly Lane bargain brand at Aldi are on offer till the 12th at 49p for 6, will have to get some for when the neighbours call round. ;)
Aldi is my goto with a Lidl across the road usually try the 'Special' ones they offer and pick some up from other places that we may visit.
What's your thoughts on all the added extras like frangipane and almond?
I personally prefer the traditional, they tend to do it with a lot of foods around Christmas especially desserts, all too over indulgent for me.

Edit: Just read Tugglesf239 comment, I may be changing my mind.
The Aldi All Butter ones are lovely, definitely worth getting.

I have tried all the ones with extras, always excited at the concept, pretty much always disappointed by the outcome. I tend to find that the extras dry things out whilst at the same time I'm sure they reduce the mincemeat filling to compensate. I've stopped getting them now.

I do make my own mince pies on occasions, have done this year already, and I have added marzipan onto the top of some. Because I am making them I control the portions so I put the same amount of filling in and then am not shy with the thickness of a marzipan cross on top. If you are going to add something then you want to do it with some ooommph so I am not shy with the amount I put on. That works really well.

Red devil

Visit site
Oop in t'North we have Pound bakery. I find their mince pies excellent , lovely short pastry nice filling not too sweet.